Best Tuner for TVS?

drh_5.0

Established Member
Hi all, sorry if this is already a thread.

Curious on people with a TVS, whether it be Roush, FRPP, or VMP....who the BEST tuner is? I am leaning between Lund and VMP...........don't want to start anything except the majority vote wins for me

Thanks!!! :beer:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I highly recommend doing a search, this is a weekly topic.. Top 2.. AED and LUND... They are always the majority on this forum..

Voltwings

Established Member
Me. I am the best tuner. Can't put anything on the Internet that's not true :dancenana:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Lots of good tuners to tune it. We'd be happy to help you with a lund remote tune if your in need.

Beef
513-478-1965

rotarymagic

Established Member
I've seen a few very quick TVS cars tuned by Triangle Speed Shop too. 9.60 and quicker.

LQQKOUT

Established Member
I would go with AED or Mike Rousch @
Mid Atlantic Performance. The VMP tune I got almost killed my engine because it was running way to lean.

BMR Tech

I think most of the tuners out there should have no issue handling a TVS set-up on these cars.

As for VMP blowing stuff up...our car has been VMP tuned since 2010, and since 2012 with a TVS...and it has performed very well. It makes as many, or more more track passes than any other TVS car out there, and she's still going strong. It is also one of the most consistent S197's out there (NMRA Record/Results to prove it) - has had a JLT on it since 2010.

JerryC

Established Member
Ask your tuner. There was 2 different threads with blown motors in the same week awhile ago on here alone. Search for em
You made the statement, I just wanted to see if you're talking BS or that you actually had counts of blown engines to prove what you said.

SD_Stang

Established Member
Look at BIRDOC's car Lund can give you enough to take you to the moon and back if you want. You could make a rather long list of the cars he's tuned that have won at the High Level Competitions.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I would say there are a handful of good tuners out there for the supercharged 5.0L platform. I don't think a majority wins type situation on a forum will necessarily lead you to the best choice, but would certainly help give you a sampling of whats out there.

Safe and reliable HP is the goal when calibrating these cars on pump fuel. I believe I have developed some very good calibrations based on my experience on the street, drag racing, road racing, and mile racing with a supercharged 5.0L, both my 12 Boss 302, and my wifes 11 GT auto.

The statement that I hold the record for number of blown engines is absolute BS. As has been pointed out on this forum many times before with other tuners, simply having tuned a car that developed issues does not mean the tuner blew it up. All of the major tuners on here are professionals and do this for a living, we would not be if cars were blowing up left and right. The recent car that was brought up on this forum that I tuned was a very aggressive pump gas setups. I will advise a customer what is safe, and what is on the edge, they can choose to push further if they wish.

The coyote engine is so good with its 4v head and 11:1 compression that it is capable of making awesome power, with as little as 10lbs of boost, you can get a 50% rwhp increase. We're going far beyond what Ford designed these engines to do. We've had very good success keeping them alive at sane power levels of 600rwhp, but if you push the envelope, and start to nearly double the factory RWHP, there is the potential for failure over time.

LQQKOUT, I am sorry you had a problem with your tune, sometimes miss-communications in the setup can lead to an issue. These cars are closed loop all the time with wideband O2 feedback, the PCM corrects for lean conditions. This is not an excuse to let excessive short term fuel trims go, which is why we provide datalog review and adjustment with all of our supercharged tunes. This allows us to verify measured a/f, fuel trims, spark, and knock sensor activity. I am greatly sorry you had an issue with my tune, I don't know who you are, but I will contact you on here.

FIFTY

Established Member
Just go AED, and be done with it...The tune is rock solid, reliable ,hauls ass, and rapes face!

QikSnake

Established Member
My VMP dyno tuned tvs cobra leaned out and blew up first pass at the track after being carefully dyno tuned by Justin.

My good friend bought Justin's wife's old v6 car after I took him for a ride in it after his car got totaled it blew up a few weeks later after being de tuned for daily driving/street use.

Another former employee bought a tvs, had a blown motor not long after but he either won't or isn't allowed to talk about it...

Choose Vmp if your looking for an excuse to purchase a built motor. Your gonna need it sooner than you think.

ThomasL

Established Member
I've been on a VMP tuned and modded '14 Shelby with 820whp and Gen 2 TVS since June. Stock motor. No problems whatsoever. Runs like a champ. I DD the car as well as have some fun on the streets! I've used my 93 tune as well as my e85 tune.

Voltwings

Established Member
Lots of things can go wrong for lots of reasons, but i like how it's always the tuners fault. Hard parts fail all the time, owners neglect their cars, people drive their cars into the ground and never datalog but its still somehow always the tuner. Granted it may be the tuners fault sometimes, but you never hear about the 100 tunes that go right, just the one that goes wrong.

Higher volume of cars tuned = higher potential for failures. It is what it is. Just call around and go with whoever gives you the best impression. These "who is the best tuner" threads always end up as a pissing contest.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
My VMP dyno tuned tvs cobra leaned out and blew up first pass at the track after being carefully dyno tuned by Justin.

My good friend bought Justin's wife's old v6 car after I took him for a ride in it after his car got totaled it blew up a few weeks later after being de tuned for daily driving/street use.

Another former employee bought a tvs, had a blown motor not long after but he either won't or isn't allowed to talk about it...

Choose Vmp if your looking for an excuse to purchase a built motor. Your gonna need it sooner than you think.

Qiksnake/Rick, you left out important details when you made this post.

Your car had a failure 6 months after I tuned it. When I tuned it, the A/F ratio was 11.5-12:1 and 16* of timing at 19psi. This is perfectly safe on a blown 03/04 cobra. The utlimate cause of your engine failure is unknown, but it was so catastrophic, that your engine builder, Chris Starnes, even stated that it was not caused by a tune that was off a little. I also had heard you were putting new plugs into the car and the old ones were damaged, but we never put it back on the dyno to verify A/F. Clearly something caused this engine to fail that was far beyond my control, such as a bad intercooler pump, maf sensor that got covered in oil and caused it to lean out, or bad fuel.

Brandon did buy my wife's old V6, which had been running fine with a blower for 40k miles. Several other guys on the forum like Rick and Jeff drove this car on loan and had no problems with it. I advised the new owner that the pulley on it was making 15psi and was extremely aggressive for street use, and provided him with a lower boost pulley to switch to if he was going to drive the car hard all the time. A 4.0L v6 at 15psi with 50,000 miles is not something that is going to live forever, especially when a new owner gets the car and trys to keep up with his friend's supercharged V8s.

The former employee's car lost all of the main bearings, one worse than the next, which has nothing to do with tuning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread