Best Tuning Software for 2013 Shelby GT500

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Exploring opportunties into tuning my own upgrades. Any experienced Tuners here have recommendations on the best software for S197 2013 Shelby GT500. Been looking at HP Tuners VCM Editor but is there something better?

decipha

Established Member
hes got that wrong above

SCT has always been and will continue to be (for the foreseeable future) significantly far superior to hptuners. So superior in fact that most pro tuners use sct to write the base tune and then use hptuners afterwards since hptuners is missing thousands of parameters compared to SCT. HPTuners isn't setup to support the amount of parameters sct can due to its GUI layout.

However, being that your not a dealer with time and money in, getting an sct pro racer package will limit you significantly on what you'll have access to so its a wash from a diy tuning perspective at that point.

on the plus side hptuners has a support forum with a bunch of members that can give you some bad advice too but enough to inflict changes and possibly get her to do what you want

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
hes got that wrong above

SCT has always been and will continue to be (for the foreseeable future) significantly far superior to hptuners. So superior in fact that most pro tuners use sct to write the base tune and then use hptuners afterwards since hptuners is missing thousands of parameters compared to SCT. HPTuners isn't setup to support the amount of parameters sct can due to its GUI layout.

However, being that your not a dealer with time and money in, getting an sct pro racer package will limit you significantly on what you'll have access to so its a wash from a diy tuning perspective at that point.

on the plus side hptuners has a support forum with a bunch of members that can give you some bad advice too but enough to inflict changes and possibly get her to do what you want
Thanks alot @decipha for the insight and information. Im not really looking to develope a base tune from scratch (I'll leave that to you Pro's) Just something that I can learn to use so that I can make small changes to future mods or make some minor improvements if possible. Im just always up to learning something new and it really interest me and would be challenging to learn. I really appreciate your time! Thanks again!

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
A GT500 is not a platform to use when "learning to tune".

That fragile motor of yours will expose itself rather quickly.

I would start on something like 2011 Mustang GT which would still allow you to learn on the SCT or HPT platform ... a well-used one can be had for under $10k these days if you look hard enough.

Zemedici

Established Member

I would start on something like 2011 Mustang GT which would still allow you to learn on the SCT or HPT platform ... a well-used one can be had for under $10k these days if you look hard enough.

AND

If you pop the motor

Junkyard

Imagine what a trinity would be at copart? Lololol

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member

I totally agree with you and I wouldnt think twice about messing with the SS until I actually knew what I was doing. I would get something else to experiment with for sure. Im just ready to learn something new and challenging. I appreciate the advice and it's taken..........trust me!! (y)

Zemedici

Established Member
Wow..... what a painful experience I really dont want to go thru.....OUCH!

shiiiiit

When I was at Injected I had a customer who wanted to diagnose a noise by doing 3 160+ mph pulls back to back to back, to 'see if it changed'

the noise was knocking, low oil.

Ouch indeed! hahaha

Good news is he left with a built L&M 5.8 with cams, upgraded clutch / fuel system for E85, and 4 digit power.

albeit now HOW he wanted to go about getting a built motor lolol

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
shiiiiit

When I was at Injected I had a customer who wanted to diagnose a noise by doing 3 160+ mph pulls back to back to back, to 'see if it changed'

the noise was knocking, low oil.

Ouch indeed! hahaha

Good news is he left with a built L&M 5.8 with cams, upgraded clutch / fuel system for E85, and 4 digit power.

albeit now HOW he wanted to go about getting a built motor lolol
lol........sounds like it actually worked out for the guy in the long run. Im pushing 880/765 rwhp thru a stock bottom. @gimmie11s is right about the fragile weak points in the 5.8 particular those rods. I definitely gotta do something with this bottom half for the long run or this SS motor wont last long. SAI swears they can put 1k hp thru it and it will run all day long. But for how long....... im not buying it.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
hes got that wrong above

Going with a Pro Racer Package what would you be missing? I thought that as long as you get the top level calibrator R & D permissions you have access to pretty much everything.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It would be interesting to start tuning on a mostly stock 2011 or 12 GT500 and work your way up, at least you'd get a good idea on how to properly tune a GT500 and if you blew up a 5.4 it's not as bad as a 5.8, I think one of the hardest things is tuning the T/B, especially a KB168, L

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
lol........sounds like it actually worked out for the guy in the long run. Im pushing 880/765 rwhp thru a stock bottom. @gimmie11s is right about the fragile weak points in the 5.8 particular those rods. I definitely gotta do something with this bottom half for the long run or this SS motor wont last long. SAI swears they can put 1k hp thru it and it will run all day long. But for how long....... im not buying it.

RPM kills the condor and the trinity... keep it at ~6500 or below and they'll last quite a while at 800 in my opinion.

Much beyond that power level... rolling the dice for sure.

That said, even 600 horsepower at 7000+ rpm is a quick way to decorate a highway with metal pieces.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So superior in fact that most pro tuners use sct to write the base tune and then use hptuners afterwards since hptuners is missing thousands of parameters compared to SCT.
I appreciate the correction.
My only experience with factory ECU is with Alternative auto, Lund and Livernois.
Serious question, why do most pro tuners start with SCT then switch to HP? Why not just stay with SCT?
-J

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
RPM kills the condor and the trinity... keep it at ~6500 or below and they'll last quite a while at 800 in my opinion.

Much beyond that power level... rolling the dice for sure.

That said, even 600 horsepower at 7000+ rpm is a quick way to decorate a highway with metal pieces.
I agree 100% @gimmie11s. No way those little rods could take that type of abuse over and over. Ive never rev'd mine past 5800 rpm since I've owned it. No sir not with a stock bottom half. Sleeved block, complete forged bottom end W/Billet crankshaft (Bryant Racing) is coming in the near future. Thanks for the heads up and the tip @gimmie11s. I apprreciate it!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
@Vinnie_B
You’re knowledge and experience will allow you to build off an established tune.
Does SAI have their tune locked? I’d assume yes.
While you and the car are in Metro Detroit, you really want to work with someone local and someone who will not sell you a locked tune.
Until you have that SAI approved Motec upgrade you’ll need and want a trusted local option. There are many but you know my suggestion.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree 100% @gimmie11s. No way those little rods could take that type of abuse over and over. Ive never rev'd mine past 5800 rpm since I've owned it. No sir not with a stock bottom half. Sleeved block, complete forged bottom end W/Billet crankshaft (Bryant Racing) is coming in the near future. Thanks for the heads up and the tip @gimmie11s. I apprreciate it!
He is right but you should set the shift light at 6000rpm and then datalog.
You’ll get a ride in mine very soon and we can datalog/analyze. Just bring extra shorts. :)
-J

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
You’ll get a ride in mine very soon and we can datalog/analyze. Just bring extra shorts. :)
-J
This is very worrisome! Few days ago at 140 mph I nearly had a heart attack. Im thinking a ride in your beast will justify depends for men......:ROFLMAO:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
-J
Yea I have mine set at 5800 to shift but most of the time I never hit that....Im really itching to do this motec. Its gotta happen if I do more power and upgrade all my internals. Im not really sure if shelby's tune is locked or not. Not much more can be done at the horsepower level im at on a stock bottom half.

Users who are viewing this thread