Best way to beef up solid axle?

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
Probably going to swap in a Mach One solid axle in a few weeks and just wanted to know what kind of mods i could do to keep it "in tact" :thumbsup:

Im around 470-480 at the wheels right now, but by summer im hoping to be around the 550-600 mark. I know one great mod is to upgrade to 31 spine axles. . . . where could i find a good set of these?

I dont want to spend a lot on beefing it up just yet, but i would like to have some insurance. And it will be nice to do it while ill have the rear end out of the car. . .

:banana:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
31 spline Superior axles, Ford Racing cap stud kit, Ford Racing rear cover, welded axle tubes, welded torque boxes, Detroit Locker if you can put up with the noise, if not, the 31 spline Ford diff. will be good.

Axles (roughly $250) and cap stud kit ($40) - Summit Racing
Rear cover ($150-200) - GEF Racing
Detroit Locker (roughly $500) - Steeda
31 spline diff (used - cheap....probably about or less than $100 - find one cheap in the classifieds or ebay and rebuild it

Don't overlook the welding of the torque boxes and axle tubes though. If they aren't welded (especially on a high hp car) it will be disastrous when they come apart. Good subframe connectors are a good idea too. I'd recommend the Maximum Motorsports full length ones.

Last edited:

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
i have a set of subframes already . . . i believe they are Kenny Brown (they were on the car when i got it). Where can i get the axle tubes? or do i just need to weld ones already on the car? Same with the torque boxes. . . where to get them?

So you all recommend superior 31 spline axles? Ive heard a lot about Moser as well. . . ?

I really dont do much racing (especially from a dig) so i dont need to go all out race equip here . . . so i guess the Eaton or Ford 31 spline differential would be sufficient?

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
There's nothing to buy when welding the axle tubes, they just get welded to the centersection where they're pressed in. Same thing for the torque boxes. If you give me your e-mail address, I'll e-mail you some pictures I have of the welding needed.

I suggested Superiors because that's just my personal preference and I used them in my Mach 1 and was happy with them. Mosers and Strange work just as good though. Whichever you choose will hold up to your needs.

Based on what you've said, I think the Eaton (Ford) 31 spline diff. will be just fine for your needs.

-Blaise

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I had a Superior axle warp on my 99 Cobra. Might have been an isolated incident, but from now on, I'm going with Moser or Strange.

Rest of my live axle build-up will consist of a Detroit Truetrac (not as as strong as a locker, but MUCH nicer on the street and stronger than a traction-lok), Moser 31 Spline axles, welded tubes, and 3.90 gears. I'll likely also get a diff cover.

TRBO VNM

everything already posted is what you need. But the brands might be different that you go with.

another vote for Moser. I had their 31 spline axles in my foxbody with an auburn pro and drove the car daily. Launched on slicks at 5 grand numerous times either with a blower or with a 175 dry shot. Never had any problems.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
My build up that im currently working on is going to consist of Ford 31 Spline Traction Loc, i was going to go with a Detroit TruTrac after following alot of Bob Cosby's posts and tests. I am going to try the T-Loc for now since its much cheaper, and i know alot of people running it going low 10s and 1 car is even in the 9s with no ill effects. MY car doesnt see the track much.

Superior 31 Spline Evolution Kit. I have a Ford Racing Diff Girdle sitting next to me. I will also be welding the axle tubes. My Solid already has 3.73s, i will be reusing those if they are still good.

Cost for me so far
Axles: $250
Diff Cover: $180
NEW T-Loc (Ebay): $120

PLus misc bearings shims, fluid, friction modifier, etc etc. I will be doing the Labor myself so that helps with cost as well.

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
yeah a guy i know in louisville will be doing the work . . . for cheaper. He just opened up a shop and i know him so he is hooking me up. So the misc parts like the fluid, shims, etc he will have at the shop or will have access to? Or do i need to bring other parts besides the solid rear, 31 spline axles, 31 spline diff, and diff cover (maybe)?

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Any shop that does rear end work should have all the shims, fluid, etc. at the shop or readily available. Bring him the housing, diff., gears, axles, wheel studs (if not already installed on the axles), rear end cover, and any other parts that go on or in the axle (minus the brakes, control arms, solid axle exhaust, etc. unless he's installing the rear end in the car, too).

Good luck and let us know how it goes and how you like it after the swap.

-Blaise

Users who are viewing this thread