Better oil for a L: Amsoil 5W20 or 5W-30

Jroc

Established Member
Okay I hate to do this but I am. I'm about to drink the Amsoil koolaid which I hate doing as everyone and their grandma's drink it and act like it's the only good oil in the auto-enthusiast world, but I've been using Red Line products, and while great products they are getting to be too damn expensive compared to their main competitor in Amsoil. Lets assume that both Red Line and Amsoil are both generally equal in terms of the quality of their products, and are about the best high-end synthetics products on the market. Well okay but why do I want to spend $80 for 7 quarts of Red Line oil when after I bought a $10 preferred membership with Amsoil I can spend $54 on 7 quarts of Amsoil oil? This seems like a no-brainer if both are equal quality oils then both need to be price competitively with one another. Red Line is not trying to compete with Amsoils prices.

Anyway Red Line claims that there 5W-20 oil stays thicker with the motor at operating temps than the typical OTC synthetic 5W-30 oil, and thereby offers more protecting. For this reason I went with the Red Line 5W-20 last time I changed my oil when I traditionally always used 5W-30 with your common OTC synthetics. I've been very pleased with the Red Line oil. I probably have between 6-7K on this oil change, so I'm needing to change it, but the motor still is running very smooth and quiet unlike it would with lesser oils with this many miles. My question is does the Amsoil 5W-20 perform the same way as the Red Line 5W-20, or should I just go ahead and use the Amsoil 5W-30 Signature Series oil? I ran the Red Line 5W-20 oil all summer and liked it, and now it's getting cold maybe I should stay with the 5W-20 rating?

Also what about the 0W oils from Amsoil in a older Modular? I ran GC for years and it's a 0W-30 oil, and I always thought it was pretty good oil.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I prefer 5W30, that's what the L engine was initially designed to use.

Correct.

OP, you can use any 30 grade Signature Series lubricant for your Lightning.

Amsoil 0W-30 seems to be a popular choice for the superior cold flow performance, engine quieting ability, and engine efficieny. Remember, no matter which 30 grade you chose, all three are the exact same viscosity at engine operating temperatures. The difference is, how much more does a "5W" or "10W" thicken while they cool. For a daily driver, I'd choose 0W-30 and drive it year round.

It really depends on mods and intended use. Not sure how cold South Carolina winters are, but I know it was pretty cold in Greenwood one winter while I was there.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Okay I order the Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series oil. Yes I remember how Ford use to specify 5W30 then just up and went to 5W20 on the same engines. My 99 GT was called to use 5W30 but my Terminator was called for 5W20 but I always ran 5W30 in it as I've done in my L since I got it other than my last oil change with Red Line. I figured being a top brand like Amsoil or Red Line their 5W20 would protect better than others.

BTW what happened to Pennzoil Ultra? I ran it for a while and it was the favorite OTC oil I had tried. I went 7500 miles or so with it between changes. I know you can still order it, but I don't see that they still sell it OTC. I liked it better than either GC or Mobil 1.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Ultra is hard to find OTC. Walmart doesn't carry it in every store anymore. Pep Boys sells it per quart, but for $9.xx each...no thank you.

5.0Flareside

Established Member
I can walk into my walmart and get ultra no problem..

But yeah I would go 0w-30 AZO signature series without a doubt if driving year round...

Users who are viewing this thread