Better performer, 03/04 Terminator or GT500

Which is the better performing car, the 03/04 Terminator or the GT500

• The Terminator, lighter weight and IRS rear.

Votes: 183 26.3%
  • GT500, 450 plus HP and SRA rear.

Votes: 371 53.2%
  • Who cares???

Votes: 144 20.7%

• Total voters

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
With all the debates over the IRS VS SRA and the weight of the GT500 I thought it would be cool to see which car every one thought would be the better performer. Now I'm talking stock to stock, no mods. Given the supposed lighter weight and IRS rear, will it be the 03/04 Terminators or the GT500 with it's 450 plus hp and SRA rear???

miatafreak

Banned
i say terminator. it weighs over 200lbs less and when you look at the real hp #'s it's only down 10hp (actual output is 440fwhp). then when you factor in the irs and better aerodynamics i think its damn clear that it's lights out for the gt500.

04CobraVert

8.2@170mph
Established Member
dude just remember they could do the same thing with the gt500

it has a twin screw supercharger on it lets not forget

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
miatafreak said:
i say terminator. it weighs over 200lbs less and when you look at the real hp #'s it's only down 10hp (actual output is 440fwhp). then when you factor in the irs and better aerodynamics i think its damn clear that it's lights out for the gt500.

You are kidding right? You really think a 5.4 w/GT heads and possibly a twin screw is only going to make 10 more horsepower than a 03-04 4.6 Eaton?

Better put on your flame suit dude. :burn:

Fourcam330

Established Member
miatafreak said:

ROFLMFAO!!! :loser: Buy a clue.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
miatafreak said:

:lol: you're kidding, right? :lol:

Croco X

SVT Fanboy
Established Member
miatafreak said:
Hey, I've got an idea...why don't we put that theory to test? Someone with a bare stock Terminator should go down to their nearest dyno shop and get some numbers for us. I think you're jumping the gun a bit...we're still a year away from the release of the GT500, so that'll give Ford and the SVT to iron out the wrinkles in it.

At least we know that it'll have at least 450 horses, solid rear axle and a six-speed tranny right now...

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
In a straightline, no argument that the GT500 has the edge on the Terminator. Even though the Terminator is lighter, the GT500's extra 60 hp (390 vs. 450) makes up for it's extra fat. The Terminator has a power to weight ratio of 9.6:1 vs. the GT500's 8.56:1 (based on 3860 lbs).

When it comes to the twisties, the GT500, on paper should handle just as well as the Cobra. They both share the same front/rear balance of 57/43 (again, based on what's been said and read). To the Terminator's advantage is the IRS, the GT500's advantage is a much improved chassis. And while people point out that the 05 GT handles just as well or better than a 03 Cobra, you have to remember that the 05 GT has nearly perfect weight distibution plus it doesn't have an iron lump up front trying to keep you from turning. Whatever advantage the GT had is erased by the extra weight of the 5.4.

We'll see what the final specs are. In my opinion, I don't think it's the "leap" in improvement over the Terminator that people make it to be.

PoisonSnake

Banned
A stock GT500 will have no chance against a modded Terminator. We don't know the possibilities of mods for the GT500 yet. Also KB has said the GT500 is equipped with an Eaton not a twin screw but they will be making a twin screw for it.

Fourcam330

Established Member
SVT316x said:
A stock GT500 will have no chance against a modded Terminator. We don't know the possibilities of mods for the GT500 yet. Also KB has said the GT500 is equipped with an Eaton not a twin screw but they will be making a twin screw for it.

ROFLMAO. The GT500 comes with a twin screw (the KB article is ancient check the date), GT heads, and 15% more displacement. Mod for Mod the GT500 will put bus lengths on a Terminator no questions asked. What planet are you living on? :poke:

youngster

Established Member
the terminator really put out 420 fhp compared to the gt500's 450 the gt500's heavier i think it will be a drivers race.With the edge to thte gt500 but its also proby gonna cost more than a terminator did.

Fourcam330

Established Member
youngster said:
the terminator really put out 420 fhp compared to the gt500's 450 the gt500's heavier i think it will be a drivers race.With the edge to thte gt500 but its also proby gonna cost more than a terminator did.

You don't think Ford would apply the same underrated logic to the new car as they did the '03s? Please. You're also forgetting about the huge difference in avg. HP/TQ despite the claimed similar peaks. It's not even going to be close.

miatafreak

Banned
Fourcam330 said:
ROFLMAO. The GT500 comes with a twin screw (the KB article is ancient check the date), GT heads, and 15% more displacement. Mod for Mod the GT500 will put bus lengths on a Terminator no questions asked. What planet are you living on? :poke:

i don't know about this. the gt500 has the aerodynamics of a garage door. come 70-80mph it's gonna take a lot more power to push it through the air than the terminator. i say it's going to need atleast 100hp over the terminator just to keep even with it at high speeds. now do you honestly think a 5.4 is going to make 100 more hp than a 4.6 mod for mod? no ****ing way. 20-30 maybe, but not 100.

Fourcam330

Established Member
miatafreak said:
i don't know about this. the gt500 has the aerodynamics of a garage door. come 70-80mph it's gonna take a lot more power to push it through the air than the terminator. i say it's going to need atleast 100hp over the terminator just to keep even with it at high speeds. now do you honestly think a 5.4 is going to make 100 more hp than a 4.6 mod for mod? no ****ing way. 20-30 maybe, but not 100.

LOL, so now you're a seasoned aerodynamics engineer? Judging by your last comments you don't know the extent of the differences between 03/04 and GT500 motors, and I'm getting tired of reposting the same info over and over. You'll get the idea when they hit the street, no comparison.

Fourcam330

Established Member
youngster said:
doesnt the gt500 engine supposedly have week connecting rods?

It has cracked forged I beam rods that haven't previously been used before. I don't expect them to be any weaker than say the pathetic 03/04 Zolner pistons whose skirts collapse at 550rw per say. Let's also remember that there are PM rods that can handle 800HP these days.
Ultimately the GT500 motors need billet steel rods and quality forged slugs to fully take advantage of the killer top end.

youngster

Established Member
so its not as good as the terminator motor? stock for making maximum hp like 900+?

miatafreak

Banned
youngster said:
doesnt the gt500 engine supposedly have week connecting rods?

yes it has i beams from the f150 motor. they're good for maybe 500rwhp and that's pushing it. just another kick in the balls to the enthusiast from tang.

Users who are viewing this thread