big decision...need help

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
Well I am 19 and live with my parents. I pay for everyone except for a place to live and sometimes food. Right now between gas and insurance and monthly payments and trying to move out on my own i am thinking about getting rid of the Lightning. I have been kinda thinking about it for a while now since the truck has been giving me alot of problems and i have put up with them since when the truck is running good i love it. But i think if i sell the truck, get something better insurance,gas,monthly payment wise i can move out...i have been debating all day about it and i think im going to do it...but only if they give me what i want for my truck...i owe 17,000 and i wany 19,000...the guy said he might be able to get that for me...

well here is what im thinking about getting...i know some..well most of you are going to say dont do it, you will regret it and everything, and i know i will...but my buddy works at a dodge dealership and he can get me an 05 SRT4 for a really i mean really good price with 0%apr....if i do go threw with it, i will be getting another lightning sometime down the road and making that my "toy"....i want everyones opinion on this i dont care if u say hell no or whatever...i just want to know if im crazy as hell for thinking it..(which i am, but a house i think is a better investment in the long run).

Now if i do to it, when i turn 21 i plan on or atleast trying to become a cop, if i do, thats when i will either be getting a L or a bike...and i would rather have a lightning.

Thanks for everyones time for reading this and letting me know your honest opinion...

hyvltge

PSI
Established Member
Keep the L and say for a down payment on a house. Don't buy the Dodge just because it's a good deal.

My $.02.

OH-MAN

Established Member
Sometimes you must make a big choice.
I would say sell it and get a good start on a home. They are not getting cheaper. Drive an econobox for a few years save some money. Get a good foundation so you are not working to support your truck. Then get yourself a bad azz ride.
Not fun but you will be better off in the future.

Awww heck just get a sleeping bag and live in the truck :idea:

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
The only reason i am thinking about doing this is long term. If i do get a srt4...i will almost be a lightning guy no matter what. I will own a Lightning with a completely built motor, you know everything that a Lightning guy would want..but i dont have the money to do what i what. I hardly have the money to pay for everything as it is..

203Cree

Established Member
dude, you gotta have a place to live. I don't think anyone here would think less of you for prioritizing things like that. I say go for the house, you'll be better off in the long run. Get another L in the future. The only change I would make to your plans, and this is just my 2 cents, is fock the SRT-4. If you can't afford the payments on the L, I wouldn't bother with payments on somethin else, You'll have your hands full as it is with a new place. My suggestion to you is if you're truley serious about getting another truck in the future, just go buy a 1500 beater to get around in for the time being. No payments. NONE. Plus when you do get another truck with a built motor, etc.., you'll have a nice little beater to help keep the miles down on your toy. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Laters
Rob

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
203Cree said:
dude, you gotta have a place to live. I don't think anyone here would think less of you for prioritizing things like that. I say go for the house, you'll be better off in the long run. Get another L in the future. The only change I would make to your plans, and this is just my 2 cents, is fock the SRT-4. If you can't afford the payments on the L, I wouldn't bother with payments on somethin else, You'll have your hands full as it is with a new place. My suggestion to you is if you're truley serious about getting another truck in the future, just go buy a 1500 beater to get around in for the time being. No payments. NONE. Plus when you do get another truck with a built motor, etc.., you'll have a nice little beater to help keep the miles down on your toy. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Laters
Rob
What he said ^^^ :thumbsup:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
You don't know what real estate prices are in this area.

My advice is to sell the truck and buy a used <10K vehicle. REality is your most likely not going to get approved for a loan for even a condo in this area, and will move into an apartment for a while.

Personnally, if I were in your situation, I'd sell the truck, but a inexpensive vehicle, and stay at home until you get a 'real' (don't know if you have one yet or not) job and save save save save.

As for the price of the truck, I doubt you'll get 19 for it. I've only gotten a few inquires for my truck for 17.5k, and I think we have similar miles. If that guy does get you 19k for your truck, let me know as he can have mine too!

hyvltge said:
Keep the L and say for a down payment on a house. Don't
My $.02.

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
I dont understand where these crazy ideas come from. Everytime my truck goes back to ford for something i come up with them. Ford called this morning and said the intercooler will be there this morning and they will be working on it. THey are going to pull the trans right after the intercooler is done. But since the brakes are almost completely gone they cant test drive it so i have to do the brakes before the trans gets done. I still might take it and see how much they will give me for my truck and if its enough i might go ahead and do it. But now that i thought about it, i rather have a 10 or 11 second truck over a 11 second neon....bc its still a neon no matter what turbo upgrade or anything i do. Its a pretty nice car, i drove it yesterday but...i have a Lightning....

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
Ok im Keeping the Lightning...i just got a new job making more money so i get to keep it and i might be getting a bike soon depending on how much i turn a week

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Why add another expense to the list? Especially if you want your own place??

|SvT-TiPsY|

Go Cubs.....WooT!
Established Member
00sVt Lightning said:
Ok im Keeping the Lightning...i just got a new job making more money so i get to keep it and i might be getting a bike soon depending on how much i turn a week
I was gonna say, refinancing may have been an option if you didn't want to sell..........Congrats on the new job and glad to hear you'll be hanging around......... :rockon:

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
SID297 said:
Don't buy a bike, that's a worse idea than the Neon.
i have always wanted a bike. If i make enough to pay for everything i will get it, but mostlikely i'll be waiting for a while until i get a "real" job. The funny part is the job i just got is at a Dodge dealership...anyone know where i can get a "here hemi...hemi" sticker?

Davesvt00

Established Member
Wow! I could have sworn it was me writing this post! Look man, Keep the L you will regret it if you get rid of it. I love my L but I had a HUGE badass 98F150 4x4 before it, dumped a crap load of money lifting it and getting it show ready. Started having problems with it and traded it on the L. I regret it everyday. I lost so much money on the deal. Save the truck, pay it off, DON'T BUY A BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

What????

Established Member
Real quick from a guy thats was there and now one step ahead.

I am 22 and lived at home while in school, graduted, got a real job (before I graduated actually) and after having the job for 1 year I decided to buy a house. I WILL NEVER regret staying at home and saving $$, yeah living with your folks sucks cause by the time your 17/18 your not seeing eye to eye and your your own man, but its worth staying at home in the loong run, safer too.

Anyways I sold my $30k truck and bought a $10k vehicle while saving $$$ and living with the folks. I then moved out and bought a small newer house and just now after living there 1 month I think I may already be ready to move up to a more expensive vehicle. Anyways...

Do what you got to do, there is no $$ in cars and a ton of $$ in real estate. Owning a home is 10x better than renting and I'd drive a POS before ever thining of driving a $20k car and living in an apartment...why? Cause I'll make $30k profit on my house in 2 years easy. Screw anyone who looks down on you cause what you drive you'll be way better off in just a few years :beer:

Side note:

I wouldn't get a bike....I wanted one forever and my buddy and I always talked about buying R1s. Well my buddy did and the same day he bought it he was killed by a 17 yr. old girl who pulled out in front of him....he was going the speed limit. :(

Last edited:

OH-MAN

Established Member
What???? said:
Real quick from a guy thats was there and now one step ahead.

I am 22 and lived at home while in school, graduted, got a real job (before I graduated actually) and after having the job for 1 year I decided to buy a house. I WILL NEVER regret staying at home and saving $$, yeah living with your folks sucks cause by the time your 17/18 your not seeing eye to eye and your your own man, but its worth staying at home in the loong run, safer too.

Anyways I sold my $30k truck and bought a $10k vehicle while saving $$$ and living with the folks. I then moved out and bought a small newer house and just now after living there 1 month I think I may already be ready to move up to a more expensive vehicle. Anyways...

Do what you got to do, there is no $$ in cars and a ton of $$ in real estate. Owning a home is 10x better than renting and I'd drive a POS before ever thining of driving a $20k car and living in an apartment...why? Cause I'll make $30k profit on my house in 2 years easy. Screw anyone who looks down on you cause what you drive you'll be way better off in just a few years :beer:

Side note:

I wouldn't get a bike....I wanted one forever and my buddy and I always talked about buying R1s. Well my buddy did and the same day he bought it he was killed by a 17 yr. old girl who pulled out in front of him....he was going the speed limit. :(

Wise beyond your years. :thumbsup:
I miss my bike but it was hard to justify the cost for 1000 miles per year so off it went.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
In our area, you could make a 30k profit on a house in the span of 2-4 months. G/f owned her townhouse for a year and sold it for 80k more than what she bought if for 12 months previously. Granted she got hit with the capital gains. Another lady that I know, bought a new construction house (before it was built) and sold it upon completion for 100k profit.

What???? said:
Cause I'll make $30k profit on my house in 2 years easy.

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
yeah you can make some serious money around here when it comes to buying a house or even a townhouse..a buddy of mine bought a condo last year an its worth double what he paid

Users who are viewing this thread