Big Horse Power and Stock Cooling System. Is it enough?

Killer Cobra

Established Member
As we all start getting up there on the Horse Power will we need to upgrade our cooling system? Bigger radiator? Lower Thermostat? Down here in South Florida is gets really hot. I rarely ever have my AC off and so far the cooling system is holding well. The heat from the motor is just insane. It takes over 15 hours for the motor to cool down in my garage. Forget about coming in my 2 car garage for the first 6 hours because it turns into a steam room. MY little 3.0L 300ZXTT would NEVER heat the garage up like this monster V8 does. I guess my question is: When do we start upgrading our cooling system for maximum performance?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I think there are a lot of factors that play into this. Just upping the HP wont up the heat significantly under normal driving conditions. How you arrive at this extra HP will play a large part in how much heat is added, we all know that the eaton creates 15-16 deg per psi of boost compared to the KB which is a 8.6 deg f increase per psi so bumping the eaton to 17psi will build a lot more than running a kb at 17psi. Plugs play a large role in cooling as well, they channel the heat from the combustion chamber into the head where it can be handled by the cooling system and one thing that is often overlooked is how much the oil system plays in cooling a vehicle. One of my planned mods is a larger, more efficient oil cooler.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Originally posted by Killer Cobra
As we all start getting up there on the Horse Power will we need to upgrade our cooling system? Bigger radiator? Lower Thermostat? Down here in South Florida is gets really hot. I rarely ever have my AC off and so far the cooling system is holding well. The heat from the motor is just insane. It takes over 15 hours for the motor to cool down in my garage. Forget about coming in my 2 car garage for the first 6 hours because it turns into a steam room. MY little 3.0L 300ZXTT would NEVER heat the garage up like this monster V8 does. I guess my question is: When do we start upgrading our cooling system for maximum performance?

You are 100% correct Killer Cobra the cooling system is tooo small ! Everone that has installed a bigger heat exchanger or more boost (including myself) needs to go with a bigger radiator to compensate for the extra heat. Steeda has a radiator that will fit in the 03 Cobra BUT you must make some mods to get it to fit.
The heat exchanger reservoir, ABS pump and bracket, and upper radiator brackets need to be moved back. It seems to be working great! I have a track event next month so that will be the real test...

:beer:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
We get 10% off from steeda because we are in the SVTOA which everybody that has an 03 has at least for 1 year free.

I don't think so...maybe call steeda....:shrug:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Yea, im wondering if there is room behind the heat exchanger?

It will fit if you don't have cooling fans on the heat exchanger...
I want the engine oil cooler away from the cooling system so I'm thinking about putting the engine oil cooler in the left inner wheel well in front of the tire. the fan will pull cool air from the left head light/bumper and go thru the oil cooler and exit the inner fender well. Just thinking out loud??? :shrug:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
How many cores does it have? Think the more cores the faster u need to drive for it to cool down. So the longer u drive slow -85mph the new radiator might not get cool enough.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
How many cores does it have? Think the more cores the faster u need to drive for it to cool down. So the longer u drive slow -85mph the new radiator might not get cool enough.

2 cores.. It cools just fine the test will be next month on the track...

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
2 cores. That should be just fine for the daily driver. Thought it might of been a 4 core.

Let us know how it goes at the track :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread