Big Turbo EB build

Dragonacc

Established Member
I’ve had my car since January 2015 and it’s been pretty heavily modified but I’ve never done a comprehensive build thread on it. Guess it’s time to change that. The basic car is a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost with Performance Pack.

My original intention when I bought my car was to do some pretty basic bolt-on parts and get a tune and just enjoy the car. With that in mind, the first round of things I bought were – Intake, charge pipes, intercooler, and Cobb AP all from FFTEC. To summarize everything looked good, and the charge temp decrease with the EcoPro IC was huge!

Unfortunately I didn’t get to enjoy the car for too long with the new found power. I ended up with a blown engine in late February 2015. I’ve posted in another thread all the details of what happened so I won’t go in depth here. Long story short, the car developed what I thought at the time was a blown head gasket, but will never know for sure because the dealer holed the block before the problem could be diagnosed properly.

That unfortunate incident led me to the next phase of my journey with the car. After talking with Anthony at FFTEC about the situation I ended up sending the car to CA to get a full work over. Originally we planned to do a built bottom end, minor head work, 7670 turbo, and meth injection. The actual build ended up being a bit more substantial. As of now here’s what’s been done:

Engine/Power mods-
FFTEC Spec Manley pistons and rods
CSS block reinforcement
FFTEC balance shaft delete w/ windage tray
FFTEC street port/cleanup on the head
FFTEC EcoPro intercooler
FFTEC 8374 turbo kit
FFTEC custom single 3” exhaust
FFTEC auxiliary throttle body injection
Cobb AP – FFTEC and Tune+ tunes
Drivetrain-
ShaftMasters 1 piece aluminum DS
DSS 800hp axles
Steeda Differential inserts
BMR cradle lockout (CB005)
FFTEC upgraded clutch disk
Reliability/Etc-
Mishimoto thermostatic oil cooler
UPR dual valve catch can

Now that I’ve had the car back for a while and I’ve had a chance to put some miles on it I’m really happy with how it’s turned out. Before leaving CA the car made 436 rwhp @ 32 psi (mustang dyno) with FFTEC’s initial calibration. Probably could have made more but they were rushed to get the car back to me before I moved out of state. Always on the hunt for more power I decided to see what the car could do with E85 and for that I turned to Adam at Tune+. After working back and forth through multiple tune revisions we stalled out around 27 psi. The TB injection along with the stock lpfp isn’t cut out to deliver enough fuel to make E85 work well.

So what’s next? I always have a to-do list of course. I’m looking to change the fuel system up a bit for starters. I haven’t decided if I’m going to continue to try and pursue an E85 capable fuel system or if I want to switch over to meth injection. I’m looking to swap the stock boat anchor flywheel soon and do something with the shifter. Brake fluid and pad swap is in the cards so I can do some light HPDE stuff. I plan to run the GA WannaGoFast ½ mile race in May. Going to be hitting the ¼ mile as soon as Carolina Dragway opens back up for test and tune. And of course, need to hit a dyno to see what the car is making with some tune revisions from FFTEC as well as compare the E85 numbers.

With all that out of the way. I want to send out a big thank you to FFTEC for building me a great car, we had our ups and downs but everything turned out for the best! If you are in the Bay area look no further for all your performance needs, not just Mustangs. Thanks to ShaftMasters for the great driveshaft, mine was actually the first EB Mustang to get one, and it's a really great piece of work! Thanks to Adam at Tune+ for getting the car running on E85, it was a lot of work and there's still more to go down the road, but it can be done! And last but not least (and in no particular order) thanks to all the othervendors that have supplied me with great service and parts along the way - Anthony@HTM, Steeda, UPR, and Mishimoto!

On to some pictures. Let me know if you have any questions or want to see something. Thanks for reading!

The day it was delivered
first%20pic.png

CSS block reinforcement and pistons
DSC_4234_zpsl2az3hwy.jpg

EFR 8374 vs Stock turbo
DSC_52041_zpshauvr5jx.jpg

DSC_52141_zpssmntzd0d.jpg

Exhaust and Downpipe
20150826_174944.jpg

ShaftMasters DS
DSC_48371_zpsbxiqlugg.jpg

IMG_20151229_174356.jpg

On the Dyno
20151124_153850_resized.jpg

Adam%20Chandler%20Ecoboost%20dyno.png

Home!
IMG_20151229_174638.jpg

Dragonacc

Established Member
Never posted much on this site, but I've been a member for a long time. Figured I'd post this here for those interested!

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice build, thanks for the write up. Love Guard perf pack cars! Auto or 6sp?

Dragonacc

Established Member
Running a MT. Sometimes wish I would have gone auto, it would be faster for sure. But the manual is fun to drive so its OK.

Dragonacc

Established Member
Wish I could! Sadly I'm stationed at Ft Gordon in GA right now and can't get a pass to go down. But Ill be taking it to Clayton GA in May for a 1/2 mile race. Going to try and go to Mustang week this year too.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Glad to see someone doing a full build on a ecoboost, although I do have to say I was expecting more rwhp. Definitely needs more e85.

Dragonacc

Established Member
Glad to see someone doing a full build on a ecoboost, although I do have to say I was expecting more rwhp. Definitely needs more e85.

The car is capable of more for sure. I tried a new approach by using E85 and it didn't work out so far. Once I can actually turn the boost up (40ish psi) I should be closer to 600 rwhp on a dynojet.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The car is capable of more for sure. I tried a new approach by using E85 and it didn't work out so far. Once I can actually turn the boost up (40ish psi) I should be closer to 600 rwhp on a dynojet.

40 psi?!?!?!

how much boost was the above dyno at?

The BW turbos are sweet for sure, but im curious why no one (other than MAP) has made a kit for this car with an older-school garret based turbo that supports much higher WHP at a lower boost level.

Dragonacc

Established Member
40 psi?!?!?!

how much boost was the above dyno at?

The BW turbos are sweet for sure, but im curious why no one (other than MAP) has made a kit for this car with an older-school garret based turbo that supports much higher WHP at a lower boost level.

That run was at roughly 33 psi. The problem with these Ecoboost cars is not the turbo. It's the head and cams. The head flows horribly which means you have to run higher boost numbers to make power. A garret turbo wouldn't be any better.

On another note. Someone just hit 660 whp on a Mustang EB, auto car. But he's probably not going much higher without a better head and cams either. His head is fully ported. Still flows like crap compared to other popular 4 cylinder motors.

Dragonacc

Established Member
It'll be interesting to see if the Focus RS head is much of an improvement.

Hard to say, there's a tuner that already sourced a new head with traditional intake and exhaust ports that's still DI. It will likely flow way better, no idea if all the stock electronics will work with it or what but we should find out within the next couple months.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I'm pulling for the EB motors, but you must be right about the heads\cams. A built EVO at 33lbs would be a 600whp car. Saw one in person at a dyno day last year that put down 900whp on boost in the low 40's.

Users who are viewing this thread