Billetflow IRS Brace Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougwg

Established Member
I know he was.

but if he was looking for help from me... he should have made a post "DOUG, HELP!"
maybe asked if anyone had my cell... If anyone can be gotten ahold of, it's me.

But if he was looking for help from "fellow enthusiasts" then I guess there was no need for me to get 3 PM's from differant members about this thread.

But if he was not here to just bitch, why did he mention the powdercoating flaking off 3 times?

see what was going through my mind when I read the thread?

I d u n n o dude.... anyway...have him call me and I will do whatever I need to do to make it right.... thats all I can do :shrug:

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Hell yeah guys Doug is very easy to get a hold of. You just have to get past that Yankee Michigan accent. :pepper:

Jpjr

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I know I this is a stupid questions, but what brand and type of Torque wrench were you using? Or were you using and impact wrench?

Impact wrech, that's funny :rolling: Seriously the more I think about it, the more 24 ft/lbs is not that much. This reminds me of all the guys that have snapped the blower bolts so easily. I think that the tap must have had something to do with it though, since he said that after he re-tapped they all went right in :shrug:

dougwg

Established Member
threads have NOTHING to do with it...

24ftlbs is 24ftlbs, whether the bolt is on a hole or clamped in a vise

the only 2 logical possibilities are:
1)Bad heat treat
2)Bad torque wrench

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am going to go with a bad Tq wrench for a thousand Alex.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
HISSMAN said:
I am going to go with a bad Tq wrench for a thousand Alex.

And the question is:

What are things that can f*ck a bolt up.

Rwick7

Established Member
The wrench would have to be terrible...like not even breaking at all. Who knows...just good to see he got it fixed. I wonder what is the rating for tq on those bolts??? I would guess 150 ftlb or more

dougwg

Established Member
I would have went with bad heat treat(it's been known to happen) but then they said they broke a bolt from Lowes also...so that leaves "A bad torque wrench" which sucks too :(

dougwg

Established Member
stlblack03 said:
The wrench would have to be terrible...like not even breaking at all. Who knows...just good to see he got it fixed. I wonder what is the rating for tq on those bolts??? I would guess 150 ftlb or more

thats why I dismissed the possiblity of "miss use" of the wrench

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
With a gd 8 bolt, breaking one can happen breaking 2 is very odd. Now breaking 3 plus 1 from a totally different batch is completely unheard of. Go to sears and get you a good Tq wrench. Or maybe flag down the snap-on guy.

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
Are the MJ/BF braces coming with taps again? When I bought mine from Doug @ MSC 2.0 and asked him since mine was missing he said they were no longer included since they were rarely required.

I was @ a GTG in Mokena in October? and Dana, Who has installed a dozen + Billetflow braces for fellow enthusiasts, had a bolt break on him also. As many of you know, Dana knows his way around a car very well, and he is a very conscientious person.

I also had a problem with the powdercoating, but it was not a big deal for me.

Vince

dougwg

Established Member
it might help if anyone that has had a bolt break, send them back to me so that I can go to my supplier and shove them down their throats.... breaking bolts is BS and totally unacceptable

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Do you mean Period. :banana:

Naa. If you want to piss Doug off do this:

:banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper:

Last edited:
HISSMAN said:
Do you mean Period. :banana:

Naa. If you want to piss Doug off do this:

:banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper:

Oh OK.....

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
dougwg said:
I know he was.

but if he was looking for help from me... he should have made a post "DOUG, HELP!"
maybe asked if anyone had my cell... If anyone can be gotten ahold of, it's me.

But if he was looking for help from "fellow enthusiasts" then I guess there was no need for me to get 3 PM's from differant members about this thread.

But if he was not here to just bitch, why did he mention the powdercoating flaking off 3 times?

see what was going through my mind when I read the thread?

I d u n n o dude.... anyway...have him call me and I will do whatever I need to do to make it right.... thats all I can do :shrug:

I started this thread because it was Sunday and I didn't think there was any way I was going to get a hold of you. Also, I'm not really sure what you could have done in the first place. The whole occurrence with the install was odd, so I was trying to see if anyone else had experienced anything similiar. Frankly, I don't feel like I should have to defend myself for starting this thread. Threads like this are what these sites are for. I was in a pinch and was looking for opinions/help.

I wasn't starting this thread to bitch either. I just wanted to share my experience so hopefully it won't happen to anyone else.

As for mentioning the powdercoat. That's the only thing that I was "bitching" about. Powdercoat should not flake like it is.

Either way. The brace is now on the diff and torqued down. What I thought was going to be a huge ordeal with the bolts breaking ended up being not a huge headache.

Last edited:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
With a gd 8 bolt, breaking one can happen breaking 2 is very odd. Now breaking 3 plus 1 from a totally different batch is completely unheard of.

I know. I can't even begin to explain the look of confusion on everyone's face once the bolts started breaking.

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
dougwg said:
it might help if anyone that has had a bolt break, send them back to me so that I can go to my supplier and shove them down their throats....

Dana sent his bolt to a Metallurgist in TX for analysis, like I said he is a conscious person and he wanted to know if it was his fault the bolt broke, or if it was just a bad bolt.

BreBar21 said:
Today was the third day of my IRS work and I got my differential back from the gear guy and decided to install the IRS Brace.

I would guess given the fact that (3) bolts broke, maybe the guy that did the work on the differential used too much RTV sealer and it went to the bottom of the holes?

BreBar21, how did the MM UCA/LCA bushing presses work out for you?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Mr. Mysti said:
BreBar21, how did the MM UCA/LCA bushing presses work out for you?

They are great. It's tough to see how you get them out without the presses. Thanks a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread