Billetflow IRS Brace Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougwg

Established Member
BreBar21 said:
snip...I wasn't starting this thread to bitch either. I just wanted to share my experience so hopefully it won't happen to anyone else.

As for mentioning the powdercoat. That's the only thing that I was "bitching" about. Powdercoat should not flake like it is.

believe me, I don't want this to happen again either, I'll do what I can
First is to find a differant supplier for hardware.

You are very right, the powdercoating should NOT be flaking off. I'll look into this also.

dougwg

Established Member
Mr. Mysti said:
Dana sent his bolt to a Metallurgist in TX for analysis, like I said he is a conscious person and he wanted to know if it was his fault the bolt broke, or if it was just a bad bolt.
and what were the results? :shrug:

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I am going to go with a bad Tq wrench for a thousand Alex.

The TQ wrench is fine we used it the next day and it worked fine I am pretty sure the bolts had bad heat treating. The first one we broke looked as if it had a air pocket inside the bolt.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
But for the one from Lowe's to break too??

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
But for the one from Lowe's to break too??

Yeah. One of the one from Lowe's broke. Blown01 is referring to the very first bolt that broke. The first one didn't actually break in half like the other 2. Something strange happened, and I'm not sure what it was. Even though the bolts were not binding, the holes still needed to be tapped. Once we completely tapped everything, it all bolted down.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yeah. That is your problem then. You should have tapped the holes first. I had to tap mine. If you are threading a bolt and have any resistance (enought to snap a #8) then you should always consider tapping instead of forcing it.

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
dougwg said:
and what were the results? :shrug:

I Never saw the "FINAL" results; however, he posted this:

Dana said:
Speaking of which, I sent that bolt to a metallurgist in Texas, and his initial response was the bolt was defective based on where the break occurred ( I guess it has something to do with the location of the break relative to the groove in the thread, but he is going to do a more indepth analysis soon).

http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php3?t=1743&page=1&pp=25&highlight=Metallurgist

post #15

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Yeah. That is your problem then. You should have tapped the holes first. I had to tap mine. If you are threading a bolt and have any resistance (enought to snap a #8) then you should always consider tapping instead of forcing it.

The crazy thing is that there really wasn't any bind before the breaking. For anyone else that is going to install the brace, I would tap all the holes before putting it on whether it's binding or not.

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
dougwg said:
threads have NOTHING to do with it...

24ftlbs is 24ftlbs, whether the bolt is on a hole or clamped in a vise

I don't think so, I am not an engineer though. A bolt torqued to 24ft/lbs in a hole and you have 24 ft/lbs of resistance between the bottom of the head of the bolt and the item directly under the head. This resistance is split between the bolt stretching because the bolt threads are trying to go deeper into the hole (thread resistance) and the bolt rotating between the threads where engaged in the hole and the head of the bolt.

On the other hand if a bolt bottoms out in a hole or is clamped in a vice there is no bolt stretch, all 24 ft/lbs is trying to rotate the bolt and snap it.

Actually the most accurate way to torque, or should I say tighten a bolt, is not by torque, it is by bolt stretch.

The following web search may be interesting:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=bolt+stretch+torque&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8

That's why it is easy to snap a bolt if you are in a blind hole and the bolt bottoms out.

My .02 cents

Vince

dougwg

Established Member
5/16 X 18 torqued to ONLY 24ftlbs :dw:

THEY SHOULD NOT BREAK

Wicked

Established Member
dougwg said:
threads have NOTHING to do with it...

24ftlbs is 24ftlbs, whether the bolt is on a hole or clamped in a vise

the only 2 logical possibilities are:
1)Bad heat treat
2)Bad torque wrench

Threads have a lot to do with it as Mr. Mysti said.
You get most of your torque from the friction between the head of the bolt and the torqued joint. If he was torquing to 24ft-lbs and the bolt was not seated it would be very easy to snap it. That puts all of your torque directly into the bolt in pure torsion.

Seen it happen thousands of times.

Regardless, its not a problem with the brace or the bolts.

Last edited:

Metro1

Established Member
dougwg said:
This is wierd...

several points...

1) Nice of you to bring this to a public forum before calling me for help, it's much appricated.

2)You broke3 grade 8 bolts from me AND 2 grade 8 blots that you bought at Lowes, sounds like your torque wench is way off (maybe, maybe not)

3)If you don't like the powder coating, you should have informed me and I would have taken care of it.

4)Now that you have the brace installed what would you like me to do?

Doug
BilletFlow
313-388-8228

P.S. Posting something like this on Sunday is not the best way to recieve help from me.

Tell him Doug, that is BS.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Metro1 said:
Tell him Doug, that is BS.

:rolleyes: Please continue to read the entire thread before you post inane comments. I believe everything was answered. You have not a clue what you are talking about. Thank you, come again.

Edit: Since reading isn't your strong suit, I'll do the leg work for you. Please refer to post #37.

Last edited:

Metro1

Established Member
BreBar21 said:
:rolleyes: Please continue to read the entire thread before you post inane comments. I believe everything was answered. You have not a clue what you are talking about. Thank you, come again.

Edit: Since reading isn't your strong suit, I'll do the leg work for you. Please refer to post #37.

I have read all three pages post by post and I just have to agree with Doug. If it was ME I would have wanted to talk to Doug before bitching about stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Metro1 said:
I have read all three pages post by post and I just have to agree with Doug. If it was ME I would have wanted to talk to Doug before bitching about stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

How could I contact him?? It was Sunday, I don't have his cell phone number, and I was in a pinch. Like I said before, I don't really know what he could have done. Was he going to drive to Florida to pull the broken bolts out of my differential? I was looking for help from whoever could help me. For the second time, THINGS LIKE THIS ARE WHAT FORUMS LIKE THIS ARE FOR. I am done with this and you can keep your .02. :fm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread