Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Glenn maybe its been discussed but what is the pipe coupler looking thing where the factory Z bar mount would go on the drivers side frame rail.
I believe it's a attachment point for a bearing for the rack and pinion steering shift.

My recollection was correct.
f4dbf2f365680d2cd08e74b39cf40507.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
What polisher did you pick up Glenn?

I got it off Amazon Bob. Just a 3 inch orbital polisher made by a company called Zota. I have a 5 inch polisher, but got the 3 inch so it will fit into the smaller areas in the engine bay.

It came with the accessories you see and some new brushes. It's got some weight to it too. Works and feels like a quality piece.

Zota.jpg

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Glenn maybe its been discussed but what is the pipe coupler looking thing where the factory Z bar mount would go on the drivers side frame rail.

Good eye and good question Mike. Grabber is correct it is a coupler for my heim joint. I needed to add some support to my steering shaft as it had to much "flop" in it. So, my fabricator added a plate and then welded in the coupler. Steering works great with no slop.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I just put the motor back in my 64 and got it back running. After seeing your pics I'm glad I'm not at that stage anymore, 6 months of no engine in the engine bay got old, lol. Good luck Glenn

Edit: The engine bay looks very, very nice by the way.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I just put the motor back in my 64 and got it back running. After seeing your pics I'm glad I'm not at that stage anymore, 6 months of no engine in the engine bay got old, lol. Good luck Glenn

Edit: The engine bay looks very, very nice by the way.

Thank you Mike. My car has not had a "running" motor in it since 2015 LOL. So, I hear you. Not having a running car is no fun. That's another reason I have been pushing myself to get this project done.

I'm wondering how it's going to go when I turn the key for the first time on this build. I've never installed EFI before. My bro is a wizard with a carbureted set up, but he's just as green as I am when it comes to EFI. So, I'm going to need that luck Mike LOL.

Really appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking a look at my build brother!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I got it off Amazon Bob. Just a 3 inch orbital polisher made by a company called Zota. I have a 5 inch polisher, but got the 3 inch so it will fit into the smaller areas in the engine bay.

It came with the accessories you see and some new brushes. It's got some weight to it too. Works and feels like a quality piece.

View attachment 1702244

I'll have to look into that. I need a smaller one for the tighter areas when I'm polishing the cars. Not that I've been doing much of that lately.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'll have to look into that. I need a smaller one for the tighter areas when I'm polishing the cars. Not that I've been doing much of that lately.

It's a nice piece to have in your buffing arsenal. There is no way I can use my 5 inch polisher in the engine bay. It's just too big. I would be hitting the bead rolls on the side panels and possibly burn through them.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

Things just keep rolling along. My upholsterer called me yesterday afternoon and said I could come pick up my center console.

I think it came out very nice. I really like the arm rest they made for me. They did not get as technical as we had discussed when I first took it in. So, my hand held monitor was mounted where I wanted, but it is not set up on a push button pop up system. So, I need to push down on a corner so it will lift and then I can remove it. No big deal, that's how I originally thought it would work.

I need to buy a shifter boot with trim ring/bezel and I think that will complete the look, which is why I say it looks very nice right now instead of great LOL. The upholsterer said it did not look right when he tried to make a removable boot without a trim ring/bezel. He said once I found one to bring it in and he will re-stitch it with red thread.

I cannot put it in the car yet as it is still covered with plastic from painting and I do not want to remove the plastic yet as I still need to spray the Raptor liner on the inner fender areas. And I don't want to spray Raptor liner until the engine bay is buffed as I don't want polishing residue on the rough surface of the Raptor liner.

Have to start thinking more about things affecting other things during the rebuilding process LOL.

20210505_155847_resized.jpg

20210505_155915_resized.jpg

20210505_162424_resized.jpg

20210505_162436_resized.jpg

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
The console turned out very nice! A black leather or carbon fiber look cloth for the shifter boot with red stitching would look good.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The console turned out very nice! A black leather or carbon fiber look cloth for the shifter boot with red stitching would look good.

As always, thank you geoffmt! I agree 100% with your suggestion. I went looking for a boot and shifter bezel. I found 2.

This is the one that is made for my specific shifter lever and is the style that normally goes in a manual classic Mustang. However, I don't think this will look good sitting on top of my console. I also do not like the trim ring or rubber boot. This would look good just sitting on the floor as designed, but not on my console in my opinion.
20210506_220650.jpg

This one is made by Lokar and is the one I went with. I like the boot and feel it matches my console. The trim ring is brushed/satin aluminum and matches my gauge bezel/glovebox door. The boot is made for a round lever. So, I will cut it to fit my Hurst shifter lever. Then I'll hand it off to my upholsterer and have him re-stitch it with red thread. I think it will look great once it's done. Hmmm, does the modifications ever end? LMAO!!!!!
20210506_220522.jpg

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Great choice! Only other option is to have a piece of stainless cut out(water jet or plasma?) to fit your hole and have upholstery guy trim a leather boot

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

It was a long weekend manual labor wise LMAO!!! I tell you that 7 step process on the entire engine bay is no joke. I'm still wore out LOL.

However, the end results are WELL worth it :D.

I spent Friday evening and most of Saturday wet sanding. Then I started to buff on Saturday and Sunday. And I "still" need to buff the driver's side frame rail and the radiator support. I'll do that this week after work and then most likely shot Raptor liner on the outer fender apron area this coming up weekend. I need to get the painting finished so I can start on the engine's final assembly.

Passenger side after 1000 grit.
20210507_140522_resized.jpg

Driver's panel after 1000 grit
20210507_201441_resized.jpg

Firewall after 1000 grit
20210507_201502_resized.jpg

Here is the passenger frame rail after 1000 grit.
20210507_201515_resized.jpg

This is the cowl after the 4 step process (1000, 1500, 2000 and 3000)
20210508_163210_resized.jpg

Part of the firewall after the 4 step process. If you notice the corners are not sanded. That's because the buffer cannot get in there and once it's polished you will not really notice these areas as they will blend into the polished paint.
20210508_163425_resized.jpg

This is the entire engine bay after the 4 step process. Man, all I can say is if you ever complain about the price of a paint job, just do this "once" and you will definitely know why it cost so much.
20210508_163251_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
And here are the panels after being polished.

This is after the 3M 3 step process. Holy cow I've never had a car with an engine bay like this. Now, this was my vision back in 2010, but I didn't have the time, tools or funds to make it happen.

Those white spots on the rear of the panel are actually light reflecting through the hood hinge bolt holes from the drivers side panel.
20210509_112841_resized.jpg

You can clearly see my garage wall art LOL.
20210509_112859_resized.jpg

20210509_112909_resized.jpg

Here you can see the frame rail is polished.
20210509_121253_resized.jpg

Close up of frame rail.
20210509_121300_resized.jpg

The firewall is my favorite panel lol. I polished the top portion and left underneath as is since it will not really be seen.
20210508_183425_resized.jpg

Close up of the firewall. You can read my Roush banner. Sweet!
20210508_183653_01_resized.jpg

Cowl reflection of my garage door opener.
20210508_183326_resized.jpg

Again you can see the garage door opener, light and plastic sheet hanging up. It's coming out great. Just need to finish up the driver's side and radiator support, as mentioned.
20210508_183355_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Oh, and I received my new shifter boot and bezel this weekend. I'm taking the shifter boot to my upholsterer to have the neck tightened a little so it will fit my shifter lever better. I'm also having him replace the black thread with red.

I think once it's all done the console should look really good.
20210508_195740_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread