Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Nice Glenn! Did you already do a break in on the motor?

Hello Chad.

Yes and no. When my tuner came over I broke in the roller cam per these instructions I found on Summit Racing.

20220619_194037.jpg

The only thing I have not done is change the oil. Per the Amsoil website break in oil can be run for 500 to 1000 miles.

However, since I have ran the car a few times on the break in oil and assembly lube I'll change the oil in the coming weeks. I'm on vacation over the 4th of July holiday.

I'll refill it with break in oil, per the above instructions, and then change it after I run it for 500 miles.

Now, what needs to be done for breaking in bearings and rings is another matter I need to review.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
There's no break in procedure for roller cams. One of the perks of running them. The procedure you linked is for a flat tappet cam. In that case a lot of oil needs to flow as the cam lobe and tappet create their wear pattern. If a roller cam creates metal pieces there's an issue.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
There's no break in procedure for roller cams. One of the perks of running them. The procedure you linked is for a flat tappet cam. In that case a lot of oil needs to flow as the cam lobe and tappet create their wear pattern. If a roller cam creates metal pieces there's an issue.

Then Summit has their wording wrong Bob........

I found this online today. I like what it says because it's basically what I've been doing after the cam procedure....

No cam break in needed with a roller.

Fire it up, check the timing, let it build a little heat to pressurize the cooling system to check for leaks, then take it for a short drive ASAP to seat the rings. Do a couple of moderate (not hard) acceleration runs to get a load on it, then pull over and check for leaks again. If all good, drive home doing a couple more acceleration runs, then start fine-tuning, and sorting out any other issues.

When I worked at Panoz Motorsports in '99 and '00, we were building what were essentially 6-liter (bored and stroked), all aluminum, dry-sump, Boss 302's for the 24-hours of LeMans. We'd get the engine on the dyno, check for leaks, and drop a load on the engine as quickly as possible. As soon as the dyno load came in, you'd see the crankcase pressure drop into the dirt in the blink of an eye as the rings seated. After the engine heat soaked, we'd go straight into 8,000 rpm dyno pulls.

You can run the engine in your driveway all day, but all you're doing is polishing the bores until you get a load on it. Drain the oil after about 500 miles, and cut the filter open to make sure nothing is coming apart. Make sure you run conventional oil for that first start-up, or the rings may never seat.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
ROFLMAO!!!

The crowds comments/reactions had me rolling.....

I've got to give it to the kid. Hate he did this to a classic Mustang, but his fabrication skills are pretty good for his age...

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Hmm. Interesting. I had just assumed you always had a break in period.
I think the term break in depends on who you talk to. The guy that built my first big bore stroker said to take it easy the first couple hundred miles. That engine had problems from day 1.

I built my second big bore stroker myself. I fired it up in the driveway and put some heat in it and checked for leaks. Then changed the oil to get all the crap out. I drove it about a quarter mile then hammered it with full boost. It turned 100 miles while on the dyno. The only reason I lost that engine was because I lost a radiator hose in San Diego traffic and couldn't get to the side on time.

I now break in any engine I build however I'm going to drive it. If it's going to blow it's going to blow. Nothing I could do to change that.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I think the term break in depends on who you talk to. The guy that built my first big bore stroker said to take it easy the first couple hundred miles. That engine had problems from day 1.

I built my second big bore stroker myself. I fired it up in the driveway and put some heat in it and checked for leaks. Then changed the oil to get all the crap out. I drove it about a quarter mile then hammered it with full boost. It turned 100 miles while on the dyno. The only reason I lost that engine was because I lost a radiator hose in San Diego traffic and couldn't get to the side on time.

I now break in any engine I build however I'm going to drive it. If it's going to blow it's going to blow. Nothing I could do to change that.

My brother told me that Bob. He said back in the day he would go buy a rebuilt Chevy 350 short block. Go throw it in his 79 Camaro, strap on some nitrous and go to the track that night. No break in or anything. Just run it. Said they ran great. LOL....

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I have been off line for a few weeks, and wow great to hear this thing rip through the mufflers and though the cut-outs! Good thing the insurance smartened up, you could of either paid for an appraisal or sent pictures to kindig and got one through him. I had to fight insurance when a water main broke 10 ft from wife’s car(when parked at her work) and it took 6 months and the state insurance commission with my appraisal (was maybe $200) and we got what we needed out of the car. I will be bumping up my value on my cobra when I send in the receipt next month when I go to pick it up. Just had to show proof of value

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Goocher0310th

Established Member
Okay Everyone,

Made another test hit video. This time with the cutouts open. Sounds mean as hell, but I'm not sure my cell phone microphone could actually capture it. But if you compare this video to the previous one you can hear a difference.

Some things are better in person LOL.

Cutouts open around the 1:20 mark. You get good idle sound with the cutouts open at the end. Around the 4 minuet mark.
#Eargasm. That car really sounds amazing Glenn. The chop from those cams is outstanding. There really is no question when you hear louder cars coming that it’s a mustang. They have a sound all their own which yours captures perfectly.

So many stop signs in that area you drive. I’d have my head on a swivel and be very nervous of all the fools on their phones Or preoccupied with something else and not paying attention. I’m sure you are though. Makes me nervous for you.

Chris

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
#Eargasm. That car really sounds amazing Glenn. The chop from those cams is outstanding. There really is no question when you hear louder cars coming that it’s a mustang. They have a sound all their own which yours captures perfectly.

So many stop signs in that area you drive. I’d have my head on a swivel and be very nervous of all the fools on their phones Or preoccupied with something else and not paying attention. I’m sure you are though. Makes me nervous for you.

Chris
So true, Chris. I'd be paranoid as well. And then there are those stops for any type of shopping. Not sure I'd want to leave the car. LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have been off line for a few weeks, and wow great to hear this thing rip through the mufflers and though the cut-outs! Good thing the insurance smartened up, you could of either paid for an appraisal or sent pictures to kindig and got one through him. I had to fight insurance when a water main broke 10 ft from wife’s car(when parked at her work) and it took 6 months and the state insurance commission with my appraisal (was maybe $200) and we got what we needed out of the car. I will be bumping up my value on my cobra when I send in the receipt next month when I go to pick it up. Just had to show proof of value

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Thank you for the compliments Geoff! Glad to see you back in my thread. Hope you're doing well my friend!

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

Chris
Thank you Chris! Yeah, my engine builder suggested a cam with a 108 lobe separation. So, that's what gives it that sound. I was skeptical at first. Wasn't sure the computer would work well with that cam. But it sounds and runs great!

I've lived in this neighborhood since 2005. I've only had one close call in regards to the stop signs. There's not much traffic at all so the person felt they didn't need to stop because they assumed there would be no oncoming traffic. Well they were wrong, but managed to stop in time.

Besides in my 65 I'm very cautious in this area. Making sure I can stop even if others might not.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
So true, Chris. I'd be paranoid as well. And then there are those stops for any type of shopping. Not sure I'd want to leave the car. LOL.
Lol Bob. I can assure you this car will never be used for any kind of shopping. My intention is for this car to never be out of my sight or someone I trust sight.

So, if I have this car at a car show I will be next to it the whole time or have my spouse or a friend with it while I go look at the other cars.

So, I am a little paranoid lol....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
WOW!! Shoulder harnesses......a MUST! You never know!! Also an excellent idea to get a regular tech inspection. Emergency brake.....a MUST. Tough video to watch, but VERY informative! The majority of the comments were all over the owner/driver.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
WOW!! Shoulder harnesses......a MUST! You never know!! Also an excellent idea to get a regular tech inspection. Emergency brake.....a MUST. Tough video to watch, but VERY informative! The majority of the comments were all over the owner/driver.
I hear you Bob. My 65 has no seat belts at all. That's the way it came and that's how I put it back. However, after watching this video I realized I upgraded the rest of my car so I need to upgrade the safety restraints as well. Going to see if my fabricator can put in a bolt in roll bar behind the seats with a cross bar for a harness set up.

However, I "DO" have an emergency brake. Installed that because the car is manual now. Back when it was an automatic however, I did "not" have an emergency brake.

When I seen Shawn smash his face on the dash that was a serious wake up call for me. That was a true accident. He wasn't speeding, no one cut him off, no one ran a red light, he had a systems failure that caused the accident. Scary as hell in my opinion.

Since I built my car myself I triple checked all the major components. Even rolling the car out of the garage under idle and the brakes not really working was scary. I realized really quick the brakes were not right and needed attention ASAP. Now everything is good to go. Car even passed the Texas safety/tech inspection.

I feel VERY safe in my car, but now I have to upgrade my restraint system ASAP.

You are right Bob, comments are very brutal. People telling the guy to stay off the road. Saying he didn't care about the safety of others and people saying he should be sued for everything he has and be in prison. It was an accident and this is why insurance exists. Don't know why people feel he did this on purpose or think he is negligent.

When I was watching it I thought I would have gone right and went on the grass/curb. But there could have been a pedestrian there and someone could have been killed.

Definitely an experience we can all learn from, but I think he did his best given the circumstances.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Last weekend I took my car to the other side of town to get the front end aligned from a friend of my brother. Well, after he seen the car he said the car was too low and he could not get his laser tools in place.

So, I took my car to my parents house and parked it in their garage. Then I took the trailer to my brothers house. During the week I went to my brothers house to re-wire the trailer, paint it with rattle can, put new lights (I added the amber side lights and installed back-up lights) and install new wheels and tires.

I wet back today to pick my car up and bring it back home (Garage looked empty without my car LMAO!). After I loaded it on the newly refurbished trailer I took a couple pictures.

I was getting a lot of thumbs up from folks. Was pretty cool.

20220710_095810.jpg

20220710_095822.jpg

20220710_095847.jpg

Here you can see my new personalized license plate. Awesome that GT 427 was available.....
20220710_095908.jpg

20220710_095958.jpg

20220710_100356.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread