'Black' national anthem to be played before Star Spangled Banner in NFL.....

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I feel you bro, I really do trust me.

What I'm saying is can you really not see why a black person in America wouldn't want to sing along to that song knowing there's a verse about keeping people enslaved in America? There's a reason only the first verse is sung.

And just so it's clear I have no problem if people want to sing it. People just shouldn't have a problem if a black person doesn't want to for the reason I mentioned above.

With all that said...**** I forgot what i wanted to say lol, I'm going to bed.
Haha. For the last forty to fifty years everyone was standing and singing the anthem. That is until some rich ass half white dude, raised by white parents; who wasn't quite good enough, really kind of started all of this. Haha

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Man you're defensive lol. I see you still act like you don't know why they kneeled, they clearly stated it when asked. whether you agree with the method or not they have said why they did it.

A song written by a slave owner in the 1800's was meant to bring the country together? LMAO, ok man.

Time certainly alters things, right? Regardless of what opinion anyone holds, how something was looked upon over one hundred years ago is almost guaranteed to be different today. It's like when you see people today get called for wearing blackface by wearing makeup when it is no where near the offensiveness of what Jolson did back in the 20's and 30's. A problem I have is how people tell others how to look at an object, song, etc.., as if others should not form their own opinion.

It seems as though you are avoiding my question, what’s the problem with the anthem playing? Why do you prefer they remove it?

In another discussion someone said it is played due to tradition. To me I don't know if that is enough of a reason.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

What I'm saying is can you really not see why a black person in America wouldn't want to sing along to that song knowing there's a verse about keeping people enslaved in America? There's a reason only the first verse is sung.

And just so it's clear I have no problem if people want to sing it. People just shouldn't have a problem if a black person doesn't want to for the reason I mentioned above.

I can say that I can relate, bro.

Not because my people weren’t oppressed/enslaved/taken advantage off, but because its irrelevant now. I’m living in the present. If I stayed living in the past of my ancestors, it would be too much baggage to lug around; carrying that around would be a detriment to doing better for myself and my family. No ****ing way am I gonna dwell on that. Makes no sense.

My point is every kind of people (at some point in time has been shitted on). Being a certain color or ethnicity each comes with certain advantages and disadvantages. Learn what yours are and exploit them for the better.

I am not aware of a verse in the anthem that makes note of keeping people enslaved. If you could point that out to me, I’d appreciate. The fact that such phrase has been edited out doesn’t mean much TBH. Unfortunately, for the sake of “political correctness” a lot of intrinsically good things have been made “the devil”.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I was informed this morning via CBS news that seeing everyone as equal is (I shit you not) racist. Seeing people as people and not colored is (I can't believe I'm saying this) ignoring racism and means you are (how the **** are these people so ****ing stupid).....racist. Unbelievable. Apparently I'm racist because I choose to ignore people's race and treat everyone like people. This country is ****ed. It truly is.

The BLM movement, a shell corporation for Democrat donations, is being used to push the idea of segregation on the general public. Forget MLK's dream, they want Jim Crow level segregation. Did anyone really think that Democrats had changed from their violent racist ways? As for the anthem controversy, honestly could not care any less.

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Did anyone really think that Democrats had changed from their violent racist ways? As for the anthem controversy, honestly could not care any less.

I know I sound harsh but the black people need to wake up the hell up and understand how they are viewed by the democrats which, IMO, is not in the positive light spun by party leaders. Biden summed it up perfectly when he said "you ain't black if you don't vote for a democrat." That's the honest to god truth of how they feel about our black friends.

venmos1

Established Member
Unfortunately far too many people (not just blacks) do zero research. They take what they see, read or hear as facts. The lack of true understanding of what is going on is sickening. So bad that it's concerning come November. Democucks are doing and saying things right out in the open. No hiding or disguising. They have CNN etc there to cover their tail and put out bs that many read and believe. To them Twitter and Facebook are legit news sources

AssPikle

Established Member
Unfortunately far too many people (not just blacks) do zero research. They take what they see, read or hear as facts. The lack of true understanding of what is going on is sickening. So bad that it's concerning come November. Democucks are doing and saying things right out in the open. No hiding or disguising. They have CNN etc there to cover their tail and put out bs that many read and believe. To them Twitter and Facebook are legit news sources
Agreed. The media is brain washing people to think in separatist ways. In both sides of the aisle. I live in a place where we commonly get hurricanes. The only good thing that comes from a hurricane is loss of power and internet. People have to talk to each other and it's funny how fast politics and separation go away.

Klay

Established Member

First off, thank you for expressing your views even though they differ from mine and the majority of those posting in this thread. I do not wish to be a hypocrite and act like a good portion of liberals do when they attack anyone who has a different opinion. So I salute you.

Now for my reply to your post, it is interesting to me that even though the Star Spangled Banner doesn't have the offensive verse you mentioned, the mere existence makes the anthem offensive. We know the anthem is not the full song he wrote nor did he compose the melody. The Star Spangled Banner as we know it is really a remix if you will. It borrowed its lyrics from the song Francis Scott Key wrote and borrowed the melody from an English drinking song.

The anthem itself has no offensive qualities (except maybe to the British). It should not matter that it borrowed from another work that may have had offensive material (I fail to see how it is offensive). The melody is from a drinking song, I don't drink so should that offend me?

The verse that made it to the anthem describes how US soldiers at Fort McHenry withstood a British bombardment yet survived and raised our flag.

That should cause Americans to feel a sense of pride. That in the face of extreme adversity, we didn't give up. That's something we should all be able to get behind I would think.

For those wondering what the other verses of the song Francis Scott Key wrote, here they are (I bolded the supposed offensive verse):

"O say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight
O'er the ramparts we watch'd were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bomb bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there,
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream,
'Tis the star-spangled banner - O long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation!
Blest with vict'ry and peace may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto - "In God is our trust,"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s sad to me that anyone would look at that sentence (out of the whole anthem) and automatically identify with a slave.

Who are you a slave to?

Seems to me that some, whom may find that offensive, are already slaves... Slaves of the worst kind... Slaves to their own state of mind. Sad, really.

MG0h3

Established Member
It’s sad to me that anyone would look at that sentence (out of the whole anthem) and automatically identify with a slave.

Who are you a slave to?

Seems to me that some, whom may find that offensive, are already slaves... Slaves of the worst kind... Slaves to their own state of mind. Sad, really.

Slaves to politicians

They’ve been telling blacks that they are inferior for decades.

“You need help. Vote for me we’ll give it to you.”

“You’re full of $#!+”
Joe Biden

svtperformance.com mobile app

venmos1

Established Member
Slaves to politicians

“You’re full of $#!+”
Joe Biden

That's the thing, what have they given them? How are they not realizing that time and time again the promises are unfulfilled. Any sane person would at some point (the third, fourth, fifth time) say hey, wtf. You keep promising and not coming through. Time to try the other side, nothing to lose.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Slaves to politicians

“You’re full of $#!+”
Joe Biden

Dumb ****s... they end up eating up the victim charade and forget to exploit their God given advantages.

sometimes I wish I was black. It would be fun to slay pussy with a 12” trout. Instead, I have to pull Cirque du Soleil acts to wow pussy with a 6” dick.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Dumb ****s... they end up eating up the victim charade and forget to exploit their God given advantages.

sometimes I wish I was black. It would be fun to slay pussy with a 12” trout. Instead, I have to pull Cirque du Soleil acts to wow pussy with a 6” dick.

are you sneaking an inch in there:D

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Third verse in context:
“However, if you narrow the search to Key's time, 1780-1816, you will see that slave and hireling were each used in a pejorative fashion to describe free people carrying out the wishes of a more powerful person. This is similar to China's Communist newspapers calling our South Vietnamese allies "running dogs" or "puppets" during the Vietnam War.

As proof that all Key did in his third verse was employ a rhetorical device, I submit the following evidence. In 1813, in the midst of the War of 1812, and a full year before Key penned the "Defence of Fort M'Henry," another poet used the words hirelings and slaves in a poem to describe the King's soldiers during the Revolutionary War at the Battle of Bunker Hill. In the poem "The Death of Warren" from the Trenton True American, published on 15 May 1813 in the Lancaster Intelligencer and Journal, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, the poet describes:

",,,,,When tyrant George assailed our shore,

and thousands of his slaves sent o'er,

With power to kill, inflict each ill.

Our towns to burn that we might mourn.

And make us to his sway return.

A sway that was slavish and foreign."

The poet continues in a later verse:

"Now How(e), who had the chief command

of George's troops within our land,

Addresses thus his hireling band:

'To stand us they are not able.

Behold (he cries) the motly host,

And quickly drive them from their post;

And as you live no quarter give,

Mind no prayer, not one spare;

For vengeance we will have that's rare.

And destroy every Yankee Rebel.'”

Coiled03

Established Member

No, I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to sing along to a song because part of it that no one sings could maybe, possibly, potentially be interpreted as referencing slaves. I think it's another case of looking for racism everywhere, and then, lo and behold, finiding it.

We. Don't. Sing. That. Verse.

Users who are viewing this thread