Blew my clutch up!!!!!

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
I was coming home yesterday and hit second semi aggressively and BOOM!! At first i thought it was my cable becouse the car has 108,000 miles on it. Got the car towed to my mechanic and upon further inspection, there was pieces of clutch scattered all over!!! I had a ram clutch and it was 2 years old with 30,000 mostly highway miles in 5th gear. Now, I do run my car, but i feel it should have lasted longer. I was thinking of going with either a spec or center force. My car is a 99 cobra with bolt ons and stock gears. Any thoughts is greatly appreciated.:beer:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
Yup my buddy with a 01 cobra did the same thing, but I think he blew it up on 3rd, i cant remember. He thot the same thing about the cable snapping cuz he's heard that the stock cables do snap easily. But his mechanic showed told him about the pieces of clutch falling out! If ure gona drive it hard, upgrade! I have yet to experience it, but i got all stage 3 clutch components in my t45 with an 11" disc flywheel and a 3 way adjustable cable driven system with Steeda short thro triax shifter. hopefully that will be fun and unbreakable. And loads of fun with a custom made clutch pedal!

01 Venom

Established Member
been there done that, blasted my stocker going into third. I have a SPEC II now and I am pretty pleased with it.

er22bball0302

Established Member
people seem to like the spec stff alright but i have read quite a few stories about their relativly poor quality control my spec didn't last very long...i have helped install a couple centerforce dual friction clutches and if i had to replace my clutch thats the one i would go with. while you have everything apart have you considered replacing you flywheel with an aluminium one?

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
My brother got a centerforce df in his 05 Whipple gt that he is satisfied with so far. I may lean in that direction. Thanks for all the input!!!!

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I shattered the clutch in our 01 when it had about 14k on the clock. I upgraded to a Centerforce DF and have been happy with it.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Ya, I am thinking Centerforce.. Going to order tomorrow. Is the df overkill for my car???

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
i need a clutch in my 03. can i just resurface the stock flywheel or do i have to buy one. Is an aluminum or billet steel flywheel better for a street car?

Users who are viewing this thread