Blowing out the spark.....

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Guys I am at a loss, I've got a 93 Cobra with a Vortec SQ, FMU, custom auto logic chip, MSD coil, distributor, wires, plugs @ 1deg colder than stock, full BBK exhaust etc etc. Aside form the blower and exhaust the engine has never been opened up and is bone stock. I'm pretty sure that my ignition is running hot enough but I could be wrong seeing as how this problem is persisting even as I shorten the gaps. Originally the gap was at .035 and then I dropped it down to .032 and this is where it has stayed. I'm worried that if I go any lower "like .030" I might do more harm than good.
I have been having persistent problems with my spark blowing out around 5200-5300 RPM and other than closing the gap some more I don't have any idea as what to do with it. As you all are aware, centrifugal blowers don't even hit peak boost until around 4800 RPM and I'm missing out on my power band. Can anyone recommend a fix for this.....should I cut the gap down some more? What should I do?

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
Upgrade your whole ignition, better to be safe then sorry I know it's cliche but it's true... Maybe get a Kenne Bell BAS (boost a spark, would think that could so wonders)

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
liv4spd.
like already said you'll need a aftermarket ignition.
i too have a sq-trim and a basically stock engine save for exhaust. i had to gap my plugs (there 1 range colder like yours) down to .028 if i remember correctly, just so it wouldnt blow out-as a band aid. i have a completely stock ignition-for now. im currently looking at the crane hi-6trc. heard anything of there reliability? ive heard waay too many bad things about msd's btm's

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Originally posted by 93cobra#3326
im currently looking at the crane hi-6trc. heard anything of there reliability? ive heard waay too many bad things about msd's btm's

I too have heard some neg things about the btm's, although not so many about the MSD. Regardless I'll be looking at the Crane hi-6 for my ride. Any leads on descent prices for the Crane, best I've found so far is over 200$ :??:

:beer:

Last edited:

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
someone on the corral told me summit had the best price he could find, but i havent really done any looking for myself. i THINK he said $300 for everything thats with map sensor, coil etc.. let me know if you find a good deal. im gonna buy one here real soon (week or 2)
later,
bryan

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
dammit why isnt it showing my sig? ive got it selected. anyone else having this problem?
oh yea hey...how much boost does your sq-trim put out, at say 5500 and 6000 rpm? mines always been high like at least 11-usually 12 or 13 psi :(
later bryan

Last edited:

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Why would you be upset that your blower is giving you an extra couple of pounds of boost....if that were happening in my case I would be all :D
BTW, at 5500 my boost peaks at around 8.5 to 9 psi

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
yea i know it is kind of a stupid complaint but, IMO 10psi is about the threshold or magic number for a stock short block ya know. do you rev yours out to 6000rpm ever? i have a innovate lm-1 wideband and it says im leaning out up top (pig rich mid rpm-i hate fmu's) 13.2 afr up above 5500rpm. kinda scary to be so lean. i havent even got a power pipe yet! imagine the boost it'd be putten out then! anyways im rambling. good luck with that spark. let me know what happens.
bryan

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Bryan, what kind of times & traps is your car putting down at the track??

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
Originally posted by Liv4Spd
Bryan, what kind of times & traps is your car putting down at the track??

the cobra?- i havent race it YET. but ill know real soon cause were going drag racing this weekend! this is the first weekend of the season. you may know 94cobra -john. him and i are meeting saturday morning. ill be posting e.t.'s for sure. its supposed to be like 50 degrees-good hp weather bad traction weather-which is already a problem :rolleyes: but well see
later
bryan

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Good luck, we'll compare times and traps after your back from the track :D

Chuk

Gangster SVT Poster
Established Member
i have a built motor but when i bought the car from the dealership that this kidi know traded it to it would start breaking up around 5500 also, at that time it had motorcraft plugs gapped at .35 or so, the kid had changed a couple things but the thing that stuck out to me was the stock ignition was back in. i went to him and bought back the MSD DIS-4 he had originaly had in it, now with stock coil packs, MSD wires and the ignition it goes strong right up to 7500, i shift it at 7000. But definetly get an aftermarket ignition, i recemend the MSD but im sure the Crane is good too.

just my .02

Chuk

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
Originally posted by Liv4Spd
Good luck, we'll compare times and traps after your back from the track :D

hey man i posted my times in the 93 cobra section, but here they are in short:
best e.t: 12.17 @118mph with a 1.93 60'
backed it up with (2) 12.25 @119mph 1.95 60'-tried putting too much power down in 1st gear resulting in tire spin, hence the higher mph. needless to say i am very impressed. the car ran great. cool thing is ive still got some more tricks up my sleeve. especially since my buddy "94cobra" or john and his 03 cobra ran a 12.09. so im gonna have to show him up. ;-)
-what kinda times are you running?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread