Blown 03 Mach 1 vs new BMW M3

DRK HRS

Established Member
I was driving down the highways of Mexico earlier today. Wasn't looking for a race or anything, but noticed a BMW in the rear view driving kinda aggressively. I couldn't tell you the exact year, but if I google "2017 BMW M3" it looked exactly like the pictures that come up.

I haven't really had any fun in my car all winter, so I thought "**** it" and got behind him. There was some traffic, so he floored it to get ahead where the lanes were all empty. I followed him, just giving it a little gas to try and not let him on to the fact that I've got some work done to mine.

Major mods on my car:
- Procharger P1 @ 15 PSI + intercooler
- Terminator short block
- Supporting fuel mods (60# injectors, dual Cobra pumps, KB BAP)
- Bob Monks tune, probably close to 500 whp on a 50 degree day like this (it dyno'd 486 on a 94 degree day)

Pretty sure he was bone stock, I didn't even hear an aftermarket exhaust.

He got over into the next lane to let me get next to him, was a Mexican kid, maybe 18 and he signaled "50 MPH" so I slowed down and put it in third gear. For some reason, he thought it would be a really good idea if he gave me a car length head start before honking it off LOL. I was trying to motion for him to come up even with me, but he wasn't gonna do it.

I let off a few seconds into fourth gear with approximately a bus length on him. He wanted one more go and was at least smart enough to line up even this time lol. Pretty much the same result. Waxed him again.

He STILL wanted to go again, but I abused the car enough for one day and my exit was coming up lol. You just gotta remind these guys in these fancy new cars that an old 4.6 can still bring the pain. Feels good to let the Mach stretch it's legs a bit after being mostly cooped up in the garage for 3 months!

I need to get a D1 though, like soon. :eek:

swardrn

Established Member
Man how's your tune with 15 psi I'd think you'd be in the 550 whp range? I had a 97 with non intercooled vortech and the boltons it made 456/411

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Guaranteed that if you see him again, he'll want to run. His pride has been hurt. LOL. Nice kill!

DRK HRS

Established Member
Man how's your tune with 15 psi I'd think you'd be in the 550 whp range? I had a 97 with non intercooled vortech and the boltons it made 456/411

Apparently, the impeller blades are trimmed shorter on my P1SC-H than a normal P1. This was from a Mach 1 Procharger kit ordered around 2012. They supposedly did this to keep the boost down on the high compression stock Mach engine. Also means it has to spin really fast to reach this boost level so the efficiency is low. My peak boost is actually about 17 PSI at redline, but it actually starts LOSING power after 15 because of the IAT!

And my compression ratio is 8.5:1 now with the Termi short block swap. Pretty low.

Just another reason I need a D1 upgrade!

Last edited:

DRK HRS

Established Member
nice kill but crazy how much that low compression drops the power

Yeah I was disappointed, I was definitely planning on mid 500's but it still runs well. A little bit of a dog under 3500 RPM with a centri but past that it's fun.

I was making 448 whp @ 7.5 PSI on the stock 10.1:1 engine, so a gain of only around 40 whp with double the boost is pretty crap. Low blower efficiency at that impeller speed is part of it, but still...

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Yeah I was disappointed, I was definitely planning on mid 500's but it still runs well. A little bit of a dog under 3500 RPM with a centri but past that it's fun.

I was making 448 whp @ 7.5 PSI on the stock 10.1:1 engine, so a gain of only around 40 whp with double the boost is pretty crap. Low blower efficiency at that impeller speed is part of it, but still...
I would love to run from a dig. My bmw is 500-500 but it is more of a touring car. It rides best at 90mph. Kind of a tank but an elegant tank, especially with the top down.

Users who are viewing this thread