BMC Blown Motor Club

bull3441

Established Member
lets get a thread going on this very exclusive brother hood, the BMC :nonono:
some guys may be too sensitive to share, but i think this would be a helpful thread for current and future members to gather info. maybe include mileage, blower/turbo size, fuel, psi, where it popped, track or street racing and who built your new motor. i don't remember ever seeing this in any other forum i've ever been on. no need to turn this into a tuner or performance shop bash. it is what it is, we chose to play and we had to pay :cryying:

Mileage: 26k
Blower: TVS(2.59 upper/ IW 10% lower 19+psi the day it popped, cool air)
Fuel: Pump 93oct
Where: Street(5th gear 150mph plus, popped on decel) Shhhh... i know street racing is bad!
New Motor: L&M

lawdude

Established Member
Mileage: about 16k
Blower: TVS (2.59 upper/IW 10% lower 17+psi south georgia summer air)
Fuel: 93 with Torco
Where: Track (1st gear - missed second, shut it down, and heard a bad noise)
Reason: Crank snout cracked/lost oil pressure. According to Livernois, the balancer seems the likely culprit.
New Motor: Livernois

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
This is a great thread idea for those willing to share. Another intersting detail would be the tune you were running at the time, and the approximate rebuild cost. I ask because I have no idea what some of these shops charge for work like this.

bull3441

Established Member
This is a great thread idea for those willing to share. Another intersting detail would be the tune you were running at the time, and the approximate rebuild cost. I ask because I have no idea what some of these shops charge for work like this.
i could buy a 2012 Focus, if that gives you an idea. guys who the pull/swap themselves a new Fiesta

Bulldogger

Established Member
Mileage: about 16k
Blower: TVS (2.59 upper/IW 10% lower 17+psi south georgia summer air)
Fuel: 93 with Torco
Where: Track (1st gear - missed second, shut it down, and heard a bad noise)
Reason: Crank snout cracked/lost oil pressure. According to Livernois, the balancer seems the likely culprit.
New Motor: Livernois

I kinda would put you in a different catagory. The crank breaking probably wasn't related to the set-up but maybe more of a balancer issue.

bull3441

Established Member
I kinda would put you in a different catagory. The crank breaking probably wasn't related to the set-up but maybe more of a balancer issue.
i know the details of what broke, Lawdude counts :lol1:
don't mean to laugh...... but he's in the BMC

Van@RevanRacing

Mileage: 7,700 K
Blower: Kenne Bell 2.8 (3.00" upper, Stock Lower 19+psi the day it popped)
Fuel: Pump 93 Octane (Expensive Lesson I only run Race gas with no ethanol now)
Where: Daytona International Speedway (6th gear 195+ mph and 6300 RPM)
New Motor: Custom built L&M Engines Ford GT Wet Sump Aluminum Block

Also running Kenne Bell 3.6LC and Ford GT Cams degree'd perfectly by L&M Engines.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I do like this thread as I have wondered and worried of blowing my motor with only 2500 kms on the clock. I've probably bounced it off the limiter 50 times due to my funky second gear(keeps me locked out like a bad wife)

bull3441

Established Member
Mileage: 7,700 K
Blower: Kenne Bell 2.8 (3.00" upper, Stock Lower 19+psi the day it popped)
Fuel: Pump 93 Octane (Expensive Lesson I only run Race gas with no ethanol now)
Where: Daytona International Speedway (6th gear 195+ mph and 6300 RPM)
New Motor: Custom built L&M Engines Ford GT Wet Sump Aluminum Block

Also running Kenne Bell 3.6LC and Ford GT Cams degree'd perfectly by L&M Engines.
19psi in 6th @6300 195mph :sleeping:

Van@RevanRacing

I believe he means everyone thats apart of the BMC.

Possibly, however the position of "you should add timing" "who's your tuner" and "what's your average A/F underload"

My A/F was average around 11.8

I didn't need any more timing. The car was running good and cool.

And Jon Lund tuned my car. I was running 93 Pump gas and I shouldn't have been because the 19+ lbs of boost on 93 Octane (later tested fuel and discovered to be less than 93) was too much boost for 93 octane always has been always will be. I should have been on the 3.25 upper and kept the boost down but I was going for speed and power and I didn't have enough octane. Plain and simple. Nobody's fault but mine.

In my case the car was flying and felt great. I did my usual scan gauge and noticed my A/F suddenly had gone from 11.7-11.8 at WOT to 12.2 - 12.3. I immediately lifted but at speed and under load at a track like Daytona it was only a matter of seconds. For the record that stock motor was abused and it owed me absolutely nothing. Current motor has less than 50 hours on it and is an absolute beast. And it's all good!

rdsnk46

Established Member

Mileage: 7k
Blower: 2.8H 21.5psi w/75 dry
Fuel: C-16
Where: Drag strip WOT 6000rpms in 4th gear @ 1000ft mark shooting for a 9' went 10.16@138 blown up
Replaced:FRPP Forged SB less than factory compressoin

Failure:Rod let go

On the record: My factory motor had over 200 track passes and uncoutned street races. Best pass 10.0@142

Mileage: 10K
Blower: 3.6LC 23psi w/100 dry GT Cams
Fuel: C-16
Where: On the street against THEBULL top of 4th 6200rpms 145mph
Replacement: Undecided

Failure: Undetermined

Went a best of 9.99@139 boost only, never made a clean pass on the spray.

I purchased a factory short block so I could return my car to stock.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I like this idea.. can I copy it into the SN95 section?? ^^^ BMC I'm assuming is Blown Motor Club

fastlif

Established Member
Lol I figured it out. I'm a motorcycle guy and had BMC air filters on the mind...couldnt remember ever seeing a BMC on a gt500 and wondered how it could blow a motor.

Users who are viewing this thread