BMC Blown Motor Club

Blackmax

Established Member
Yep and that's w/o tax. That includes labor and Lund tune. Only re-used part of OEM motor were the heads. There are a few guys here who are over the $20k mark. Don't blow your motor!!! ARP hardware, rings, bearings, gaskets, fluids, billet oil pump, billet tensioner etc add up fast. Oh you want cams? $1500, oh wait you need new springs and retainers for that. Those cams need to be degreed, that's a days labor to do that. The list goes on and on.

I'm looking at $4,000 for cams and degree work, really wonder if its worth it for sound because I should really spend money on fuel pumps and other things first. I was looking at the motor and looks like the only way the heads come off is by pulling the motor out?

bull3441

Established Member
I'm looking at $4,000 for cams and degree work, really wonder if its worth it for sound because I should really spend money on fuel pumps and other things first. I was looking at the motor and looks like the only way the heads come off is by pulling the motor out?
If you get someone who really knows how to design a cam, it's worth it. I picked up about 100whp between bumping CR and the cams. Boost dropped from 19.3psi to 15.8psi, car breaths better and is happier at lower boost.

The sound's worth it too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZMjfDB5O-M

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
If you get someone who really knows how to design a cam, it's worth it. I picked up about 100whp between bumping CR and the cams. Boost dropped from 19.3psi to 15.8psi, car breaths better and is happier at lower boost.

The sound's worth it too Parisi GT500 with L&M custom cams - YouTube

Oh really? I had no idea you could pick up that knid of power plus lower the boost. I only have a 2.9 Whipple so may not work the same for me but I'm sure the engine builder would figure it out. Thanks for all the info, there are alot of decisions to be made.

slocum1946

singularity
Established Member
Yep and that's w/o tax. That includes labor and Lund tune. Only re-used part of OEM motor were the heads. There are a few guys here who are over the $20k mark. Don't blow your motor!!! ARP hardware, rings, bearings, gaskets, fluids, billet oil pump, billet tensioner etc add up fast. Oh you want cams? $1500, oh wait you need new springs and retainers for that. Those cams need to be degreed, that's a days labor to do that. The list goes on and on.

The sound's worth it too Parisi GT500 with L&M custom cams - YouTube

agree with all---and yes, over $20k is possible :)

bull3441

Established Member
Oh really? I had no idea you could pick up that knid of power plus lower the boost. I only have a 2.9 Whipple so may not work the same for me but I'm sure the engine builder would figure it out. Thanks for all the info, there are alot of decisions to be made.
Call Michael at L&M and tell him what you have mod wise and get a custom cam from him. He's a master when it comes to cams.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Hopefully my plan will work out. My car will not see more than 700rwhp until the engine is pulled and built to handle it. I understand lots of things can cause a engine to let go but I am trying to be careful with mine. Taking the nitrous off and going e85 with a really good tune. No back to back pulls, rev limiter set at 6300 and i drive it like a grandpa around town. I will still run it hard at the track but hopefully it will be fine for a yr or so. I hope when i pull it i can get away with around 6k for a rebuild with cams pistons rods and good hardware. When the time comes I guess I will find out. I hope to pull mine in a yr or so.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member

yep, I regret not doing cams when I had mine apart, but I just bought the car and the re-build was getting more then I expected (as usual - due unforeseen little things). Michael's cams allow the blower to work more efficiently and make more power with less restriction.

2.9L is a potent blower, you'll make good power

Speed costs money.... how fast do you want to go... :beer:

bull3441

Established Member
Hopefully my plan will work out. My car will not see more than 700rwhp until the engine is pulled and built to handle it. I understand lots of things can cause a engine to let go but I am trying to be careful with mine. Taking the nitrous off and going e85 with a really good tune. No back to back pulls, rev limiter set at 6300 and i drive it like a grandpa around town. I will still run it hard at the track but hopefully it will be fine for a yr or so. I hope when i pull it i can get away with around 6k for a rebuild with cams pistons rods and good hardware. When the time comes I guess I will find out. I hope to pull mine in a yr or so.
Most shops charge $2500-3k to pull/install a motor. Unless you do it yourself or have a buddy with a garage, you're prob not gonna do it on $6k.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Most shops charge $2500-3k to pull/install a motor. Unless you do it yourself or have a buddy with a garage, you're prob not gonna do it on $6k.

I work at a shop with a lift and plan to pull it and tear it down myself. I have a guy local to me that builds engines on the side. He has been doing side work building engines and racing for a long long time. I may have him do it. I'm not sure yet. 3k is insane to pull the engine. I would like to have the work done local but we will see. In the mean time I'm going to keep it alive and enjoy it.

bull3441

Established Member
I work at a shop with a lift and plan to pull it and tear it down myself. I have a guy local to me that builds engines on the side. He has been doing side work building engines and racing for a long long time. I may have him do it. I'm not sure yet. 3k is insane to pull the engine. I would like to have the work done local but we will see. In the mean time I'm going to keep it alive and enjoy it.
Book time is 40 hours. The $3k includes breakdown and assembly.... usually.

Blackmax

Established Member
On backorder. It doesn't hurt to call, but they were on backorder a week ago.

They are from 8-10 weeks away, I can live with that. The compression ratio is a bit low I see. I wonder how this would effect the power? Would I have to run more boost to overcome this? I suppose the heads could be shaved to make up the compression.

bull3441

Established Member
They are from 8-10 weeks away, I can live with that. The compression ratio is a bit low I see. I wonder how this would effect the power? Would I have to run more boost to overcome this? I suppose the heads could be shaved to make up the compression.
Every one point in CR is worth about 4-5% N/A power. You won't notice a loss in power. I wouldn't hold my breath on the 8-10 weeks. I will PM you a name of a dealer that had a M-6009-C54SC4 motor on it's shelf, not sure if they still do. They quoted me $3200. I had that block on hold under my name.

Last edited:

rlhay2

Established Member

One of the best values for the $$$.
I am running that very block in my TT GT500.

If your power adder has the capability of running more boost, the 1/2 point lower compression is not a factor, just increase the boost. If you are still running the Eaton or the TVS, then I would suggest milling the heads to recover the lost compression.

bull3441

Established Member
One of the best values for the $$$.
I am running that very block in my TT GT500.

If your power adder has the capability of running more boost, the 1/2 point lower compression is not a factor, just increase the boost. If you are still running the Eaton or the TVS, then I would suggest milling the heads to recover the lost compression.
It's a .3 drop in CR, your talking about 10hp.

Blackmax

Established Member
Every one point in CR is worth about 4-5% N/A power. You won't notice a loss in power. I wouldn't hold my breath on the 8-10 weeks. I will PM you a name of a dealer that had a M-6009-C54SC4 motor on it's shelf, not sure if they still do. They quoted me $3200. I had that block on hold under my name.

I just bought it! I think its a heck of a deal and this means my car might be back on the road before the end of summer. Thanks and now begins my budget build lol

DaFreak

Established Member
Any new BMC's out there? Nothing in 2 years now? Maybe the new AL block is the shiz???

Users who are viewing this thread