BMW 335i vs Mustang 5.0 GT

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
thanks mods are

jb3 chip, intake, exhaust, dp, meth, under drive pulley.

Looks like a strong running bimmer. Any weight reduction or suspension mods? What tires is it running?

In all fairness though, you did lead some people to beleive the car was 410hp when it's really 440hp and 490tq lol. Either way it's a great car. I wouldn't mind having one as a DD.

Since you have experience with 335i's, i was wondering how they fair against C5 Z06's and LS3 vettes? Done any races with them?

Feel free to PM me if you want to continue the conversation privatley. :beer:

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
I say the win goes to the 335...

My buddy has 335 with almost the same mods and it's no joke.

Never cared for these cars till I rode one. Awesome cars.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Definitely a strong running 335 there. You guys are right on with the prices of aftermarket parts. I just traded my 03 Cobra for an 08 335xi, and just for fun looked at some aftermarket parts and they're 3-4 times more expensive for the same parts on a Cobra. They're very quick from the factory, but it takes WAY more money to put a lot of power to the ground as a Cobra. I still don't think there's a better deal than Cobra's when it comes to making huge power relatively cheaply.

gamebred26

Established Member
Definitely a strong running 335 there. You guys are right on with the prices of aftermarket parts. I just traded my 03 Cobra for an 08 335xi, and just for fun looked at some aftermarket parts and they're 3-4 times more expensive for the same parts on a Cobra. They're very quick from the factory, but it takes WAY more money to put a lot of power to the ground as a Cobra. I still don't think there's a better deal than Cobra's when it comes to making huge power relatively cheaply.

that was my point i dont hate the cars at all my stepfather owned a 2002 M coupe and an 05 M3...I drove them both and loved them.

while i was looking at cars i really liked the 2007 M Coupes...its I like to mod cars...and change shit daily...kind of a disease..lol..and unless you have bottomless pockets...Audi...BMW and Mercedes are not the car to do that too...

Mods are very very expensive...and I like to drive my cars...and give um a good beating..:beer:

jgheels2003

Established Member
If you havent noticed European cars exceed putting power to the ground vs american cars with OLDER technology.

A twin turbo 6 and a N/A V-8 with nothing in common from a power generating or aftermarket standpoint shouldn't warrant a stupid statement like that. Those are two completely different platforms.

Drazga

Established Member
Our 335i put down 438hp and 490tq to the wheels

AND IF ANYONE THINKS ITS BS, I WILL MEET ANY 500HP COBRA IN NY AREA FOR A COMPARISON, OR WE CAN EVEN TAKE IT TO THE TRACK, ATCO or ENGLISHTOWN

im in. i dont have tires for the track though. id more than willing to on the street though.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Our 335i put down 438hp and 490tq to the wheels

If you havent noticed European cars exceed putting power to the ground vs american cars with OLDER technology.

I own a Cobra so im not hating on any one car, but dont be naive.

AND IF ANYONE THINKS ITS BS, I WILL MEET ANY 500HP COBRA IN NY AREA FOR A COMPARISON, OR WE CAN EVEN TAKE IT TO THE TRACK, ATCO or ENGLISHTOWN

Here are pics of the car, and video will be up very shortly

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

jonesbeach006.jpg

Nice Gains! I'm about 6 months away from getting a 335i 4dr auto w/7spd steptronic, Navi and M-sport package.

Last edited:

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Yeah, I am in an E55 and have decided not to mod it due to no warranty. They do not break often, if at all, but just the routine maintenance without a warranty will very rarely be under $1k....

boostingwild

Established Member
Looks like a strong running bimmer. Any weight reduction or suspension mods? What tires is it running?

In all fairness though, you did lead some people to beleive the car was 410hp when it's really 440hp and 490tq lol. Either way it's a great car. I wouldn't mind having one as a DD.

Since you have experience with 335i's, i was wondering how they fair against C5 Z06's and LS3 vettes? Done any races with them?

Feel free to PM me if you want to continue the conversation privatley. :beer:

we put street slicks on car, and dropped car on h&r springs.

STOCK c5zo6's are a piece of cake for a modded 335i, we raced an ls3 c6 vette with intake and exhaust and beat him.

Its a 2010 335i with the m-sport package.

car has alot of area under the curve on the dyno sheet, thats why it can hold its own against cars with higher hp numbers that dont start making power till 4,500 - 5,000 rpm's.

boostingwild

Established Member
im in. i dont have tires for the track though. id more than willing to on the street though.

we will be at englishtown track with 6 cars from the shop, including the 335i and cobra.

i will contact you the next weekend we are free and see if we can set something up.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
So, do you guys think a properly driven TS Cobra will lose to a 438 RWHP 335I?

What are the track times for that Torque monster that easily stays with a 525 RWHP Cobra?

Last edited:

saleen302

Established Member
we did this race with our shop 335i and it does win by a healthy dose

also the 335i is neck and neck with a 525hp cobra until 4th gear where cobra beats it by only one - two cars.

Sure it is :rollseyes

This is only possible if
- 1) The BMW is making way more than 410 rwhp (provided the Cobra is making 525 RWHP)
OR
- 2) The Cobra is making 525 FLYWHEEL hp and not rwhp, in which case, the lighter weight of the 335 should help it stay with the Cobra

S8ER01Z

Established Member
STOCK c5zo6's are a piece of cake for a modded 335i, we raced an ls3 c6 vette with intake and exhaust and beat him.

These statements annoy me... a tune only 335i (which = modded) would get rolled by a stock C5Z.. Clearly you are talking about a high 11 second 335i here with 120+ trap speeds, the car has more than a couple of mods. You could try to be a bit less vague with comments next time... it can't possibly hurt. :shrug:

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
i guarantee your Cobra gets walked by the 335i.

And it just so happens that you are located in NY.

Maybe you should back up what you say by real time comparison? We still got a month left before weather takes a big shit. Let me know.

EASY!!!! You downstate guys and your attitudes make me laugh. I race my buddies 335xi jb3 intake blah blah blah and win without issue. Yes it is an impressive car and sick out of the hole. Now your claim of a 525hp cobra getting walked by your bimmer....doubt it...and your vid shows nothing more than the owner of that cobra needs to purchase one of your driver mods. That race was what 55-80 and looks to me as he's pulling and then slams on the brakes:rolleyes:. You clearly see that i make 53 hp less than your claim so you should what.....put like 5 bus lengths on me:rolleyes:. Get that cobra a real driver, make sure it has a 2.76. Make sure the blower is ported, and make sure it is putting out what you say it is, then have vinny take another video and let see what happens. :burnout:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
we put street slicks on car, and dropped car on h&r springs.

Its a 2010 335i with the m-sport package.

car has alot of area under the curve on the dyno sheet, thats why it can hold its own against cars with higher hp numbers that dont start making power till 4,500 - 5,000 rpm's.

When you are referring to exhaust, was the C6 LS3 intake and catback or intake and LTs? Was the C6 an A6 auto or MN6?

What year was the C5Z?

What are the track times your 438/490 335i? Is it an auto or manual? E90 or E92?

Last edited:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
EASY!!!! You downstate guys and your attitudes make me laugh. I race my buddies 335xi jb3 intake blah blah blah and win without issue. Yes it is an impressive car and sick out of the hole. Now your claim of a 525hp cobra getting walked by your bimmer....doubt it...and your vid shows nothing more than the owner of that cobra needs to purchase one of your driver mods. That race was what 55-80 and looks to me as he's pulling and then slams on the brakes:rolleyes:. You clearly see that i make 53 hp less than your claim so you should what.....put like 5 bus lengths on me:rolleyes:. Get that cobra a real driver, make sure it has a 2.76. Make sure the blower is ported, and make sure it is putting out what you say it is, then have vinny take another video and let see what happens. :burnout:

I think Boostinwild means 525hp at the crank which is about 450-460rwhp for an 03/04 Cobra. Which would theorectically on paper have a 440rwhp BMW 335i outgunning a 450-460rwhp Cobra.

The Cobra weights 3665lbs compared to the Bimmers 3584lbs and The Bimmer has better aerodynamics .30 vs .34 for the Cobra. The Bimmer is at a weight and aerodynamic advantage.

Now comparing dyno draphs of a pullied 450rwhp Cobra and a 438rwhp 335i, you'll see that a chipped/intake/meth/ms109 335i will make 480+lbs-ft tq @1800-1900rpms as compared to a pullied Cobra making its 450lbs-ft tq @ 3700-3800rpms. Their final axle ratio is similar with the Bimmer having a 3.46 gear set and the Cobra having a 3.55 gear set.

With 480+lbs-ft tq @ 1800-1900rpms and some DRs on the 335i, I can definately see it rolling out a 450rwhp 03/04 Cobra.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I think Boostinwild means 525hp at the crank which is about 450-460rwhp for an 03/04 Cobra. Which would theorectically on paper have a 440rwhp BMW 335i outgunning a 450-460rwhp Cobra.

The Cobra weights 3665lbs compared to the Bimmers 3584lbs and The Bimmer has better aerodynamics .30 vs .34 for the Cobra. The Bimmer is at a weight and aerodynamic advantage.

Now comparing dyno draphs of a pullied 450rwhp Cobra and a 438rwhp 335i, you'll see that a chipped/intake/meth/ms109 335i will make 480+lbs-ft tq @1800-1900rpms as compared to a pullied Cobra making its 450lbs-ft tq @ 3700-3800rpms. Their final axle ratio is similar with the Bimmer having a 3.46 gear set and the Cobra having a 3.55 gear set.

With 480+lbs-ft tq @ 1800-1900rpms and some DRs on the 335i, I can definately see it rolling out a 450rwhp 03/04 Cobra.

Now this adds up. Of course if we are talking 500+ RWHP then the argument will continue. :beer:

03snakenvtn

Established Member
It would be a close race. Who honestly cares which one would nose out the other. I've owned both cars and they both have their pros and cons, but fantastic vehicles overall. I get that people hate it when they feel other people are lying or not telling the whole truth, but come on. No one should be that threatened of another car being faster. There are always faster cars than you no matter what car you own. The Cobra's have that raw, brutal power. I used to love taking new people for a ride in the Cobra and scaring the crap out of them. The 335's have a lot more refined power. You can mod it to run with Cobra's, but it'll never "feel" quite as scary unless you mod the crap out of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread