Bob's Auto Sports' - New Oil/Air Separator "Catch Can"

IA Shelby

Established Member
I dont want to directly compare to JLT. It is also a great unit and a great forum supporter. I hope to one day do as much for the mustang community as Jay has done.

So just talking about mine,

Very classy move! Clearly you don't have a future in politics (ha ha)

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Whats everything?

My blower with my meth injection. But im primarily concerned with them taking my aftercooler out and giving it a good cleaning while the blowers off. Since im doing that, i want to have these on so no oil gets back into the aftercooler. After 50k miles it looks terrible. I'd probably pick up a good 50rwhp from just cleaning it...lol jk, but it'll help with the efficiency of the aftercooler greatly.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Nice writeup Troy.

Just and FYI - Instead of using a razor blade to cut off the oem hose from the connectors you can soak (or slowly pour) the hose (at the connector barbs) in near boiling water for about 30 seconds and it will pull right off. Then if you ever wanted to return to stock you could.

I did this on a previous catch can install and it worked great.

That's great advice. I will do that from now on. Too bad I didn't think about this before yesterday, I would have saved mine.

Good work guys............

Now available at Revan Racing...........

Bob's Auto Sports GT500 Oil Separator - Revan Racing, Inc.

That's what I'm talkin' bout Willis! :beer:

Thanks for the great review/how-to Troy!

Thanks for the great products. :thumbsup:

Troy, you need some headers!

and I need you to buy them for me. ;-)

Im sure they do, i'll try to track some down next week!

Let me know what you find, we can try different options.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
After 250 miles of use, I decided to open the petcock and drain the catch can. I was curious how much oil was trapped so I used an old spray paint can lid, as it wasn't difficult to maneuver the cap with one hand while opening the petcock with the other. The design is working, just as expected.

about 1/4 tablespoon of oil was removed from the air.
6b0c6389.jpg

Someone tell me how many miles it takes a JLT can to accumulate about this much oil. IIRC, it normally takes 1,000 miles or more.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
After 250 miles of use, I decided to open the petcock and drain the catch can. I was curious how much oil was trapped so I used an old spray paint can lid, as it wasn't difficult to maneuver the cap with one hand while opening the petcock with the other. The design is working, just as expected.

about 1 tablespoon of oil was removed from the air.
6b0c6389.jpg

Someone tell me how many miles it takes a JLT can to accumulate about this much oil. IIRC, it normally takes 1,000 miles or more.

To be fair, you need to test them on your car. Different mods/driving styles. That can only help sales and is hard to debate.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
To be fair, you need to test them on your car. Different mods/driving styles. That can only help sales and is hard to debate.

This test mileage was highway driving with hardly no WOT throttle at all. I don't think I drove over 85-90 at part throttle on the highway trip that was made.

6-Speed

Established Member

about 1 tablespoon of oil was removed from the air.
A liquid medicine cup is a good way to measure the amount of oil collected.

collected_oil_64miles_measured.jpg

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
This test mileage was highway driving with hardly no WOT throttle at all. I don't think I drove over 85-90 at part throttle on the highway trip that was made.

I already have a set up, just mentioning what I would want to see when comparison shopping if I were in the market.

Wasn't there a post attributing the lower collection in the JLTs to the use of the Amsoil as well? Be nice to know if it was the oil, design, or combination. Also be cool to see someone run the Bob's CC who isn't using Amsoil to see how much they find in the CC.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I already have a set up, just mentioning what I would want to see when comparison shopping if I were in the market.

Wasn't there a post attributing the lower collection in the JLTs to the use of the Amsoil as well? Be nice to know if it was the oil, design, or combination. Also be cool to see someone run the Bob's CC who isn't using Amsoil to see how much they find in the CC.

It's not just Amsoil that would show lower collection in any catch can, it's due to any true synthetics lower NOACK Volatility. Lower percentage of evaporation and burn off would show less oil vapor in the air flowing through the PCV system.

You are on the right track of thought. Using a lower quality lubricant would reflect more oil collection, and would throw off a comparison if two people were using different lubricant qualities, not the same.

NuclearPower

Established Member
I have JLTs, both sides, and am getting ready to change the oil soon. I will have 5000 miles on Amsoil 10W-40. I will post up what I get from each side. As background I drive 100 miles a day on Texas back roads at anywhere from 60-80 with the occasional sprint to 100+.

I'll find an old medicine cup too...great idea.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Right on man. I was looking out for the post.. We'll do another oil change in 6 months or so and see what my oil is doing with my catch can setup. :beer: Thanks again for helping me yesterday btw.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have JLTs, both sides, and am getting ready to change the oil soon. I will have 5000 miles on Amsoil 10W-40. I will post up what I get from each side. As background I drive 100 miles a day on Texas back roads at anywhere from 60-80 with the occasional sprint to 100+.

I'll find an old medicine cup too...great idea.

I will be awaiting your sample. Get it to me asap. Thanks :beer:

Right on man. I was looking out for the post.. We'll do another oil change in 6 months or so and see what my oil is doing with my catch can setup. :beer: Thanks again for helping me yesterday btw.

You are welcome, how was the shifting on the way home?

and how does your tint look?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Car is shifting great man.. My transmission already shifted good before but it's like crazy smooth now. The tint looks great right now. I did notice bubbling I think on the quarter windows but it could be that it's not settled yet maybe?? IDK I'm going to give it until monday and if its not gone I'll be going back to get it fixed.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Car is shifting great man.. My transmission already shifted good before but it's like crazy smooth now. The tint looks great right now. I did notice bubbling I think on the quarter windows but it could be that it's not settled yet maybe?? IDK I'm going to give it until monday and if its not gone I'll be going back to get it fixed.

Brag about the transmission fluid to everyone, lol.

That's normal concerning the tint. It's the water/soap application spray they used to apply the tint. It will go away after a day or two. Takes a bit longer in colder weather without 90+ degree sunlight to dry it out.

Be patient, and it will look amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread