BOI clear foglights issues

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Anyone that has had problems or quality issues with Blue Oval Industry Fog Lights post here.

I recently bought a set of BOI clear fog lights that allowed moisture in, had poor cutouts for the bulbs, and the plastic casing where the bulb goes in began to melt along with the inside reflective material.

Keep in mind I have stock 01 cobra fog light bulbs. My stock fog light assemblies were in perfect condition when I pulled them out. One of the reasons I just swapped the BOI lens to my OEM 01 units.

Please post pictures and information about your experience with them.

Last edited:

Sublime302

teamROVOS
Established Member
yea i know. everyone i know that owned those 99-01 smoked clear foglights took them off and put stocks back on. most on this site. plus some from the v6 forums and other sites. but when i got mine. they felt cheap, looked cheap, the foglight bulb cutout was so crappy that the foglight did not even fit in it. i sent them back. and i still have not been refunded. so i emailed them. and the guy on email said that they look fine to him. he did not see why i had a problem with them. he hasnt replied back since i told him how many hate the lights. hopefully he refunds me soon. im calling them again tomorrow

IMG00324.gif

IMG00322.gif

IMG00323.gif

IMG00321.gif

dawssvt

1998 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I had these for a while. During the first month of them being on my car, one of the smoked lenses fell off. I ended up just throwing them away because I didn't want to fork over another $75 or whatever they were. I liked how they look, but they weren't the best quality.

DanTheMan18

Established Member
Been there, done that. Ordered them for the 6 banger, and installed them. They looked cheap, but at least they matched the smoked clear corners. I got everything hooked up, and ran them while I was driving that night. The next day, I went to purchase a new set of fog light bulbs because the ones I had were a mismatched pair and different shades of white. I bought them, and when I went to remove the old bulbs, I noticed that they had actually melted to the fog light housing. I sent them back, and they simply refunded me.

Sublime302

teamROVOS
Established Member
yea.. not the best quality foglights. but i did tell the guy they should stop selling them because of the quality. but owell. i am still waiting on my refund. its been almost a week since they recieved them.

amrcnidyot

Established Member
damn, ive heard bad things about those lights but i didnt know they were this bad. i think they should stop selling them. obviously they arent working out. they look really nice but they are just extremely cheap

1967eleanor

factory spoiler delete yo
Established Member
ive had them on my car for about 6 months running stock bulbs and have been fine, however i had to seal up a hole where water got in the first week i had them. no big deal tho

gtpowered4.6l

Established Member
I ran there lights for 2 days and the insides got wet which then led to them melting on the inside and actually busting my light bulb. I never called them because I figured they would come up with some kind of excuse. It has been over 2 months now so I will just bite the bullet. I will never buy another thing from them again even though they sponsor both of the clubs I am in.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I've had some sitting on the self for a while now. I think if you seal them up before you put them in, they should be fine.

Sublime302

teamROVOS
Established Member
its ashame they arent made better. they would be pretty awesome if they wouldnt leak or melt. i want some for my hids

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
I emailed them as well. No reply.

I simply removed the smoked clear lense and put it on my much higher quality 01 Cobra foglight housing and no more problems.

I think the problem is quality of the plastic. Not very good heat resistance. My 01 assembly plastic shows no signs of heat stress at all. Same bulbs I used in the BOI units.

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
those piaa look like they belong on a 4x4 truck lol. those would look wierd on the cobra bumpers

Simply remove the cover grill covers and they replace the stock fog lights. Ill try to take some pics tonight.

Piaa is well worth the money. Ive gone through several brands of spotlights/off-road lights on my trucks and PIAAs were the only ones that survived. The housing is metal/glass, not plastic/plastic, and have no problems with water.

_AC_

Established Member
My BOI smoked fogs have been fine, but I don't put that many miles on the car, especially at night.

I tell what's total garbage - the aftermarket smoked headlights (I have a 99.) Those things filled with water vapor pretty much the first time they got wet. I drilled some small holes and that cleared them up. The problem now is, they fill with vapor everytime it rains, then clear up after a day or two. Good thing I live in SoCal where it's dry most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread