Boost Limit

50q's

Established Member
Been trying to piece together a new build. What is the general idea of what is the max boost safely ran on a stock motor on e85?

oldmodman

Established Member
The stock longblock will handle quite a bit of boost if there is absolutely no detonation and you have the extra cooling that comes with E-85.
There was someone on Modfords that put 40 thousand on his street/strip engine before it blew. He was running a 3.4 at 26 psi. Of course this was on E-85. He may have been incredibly luck of just had some kind of freak:shrug:

I think you would be safe, in the long term pushing 22psi with a proper, safe tune.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Been trying to piece together a new build. What is the general idea of what is the max boost safely ran on a stock motor on e85?

It's really a roll of the dice. I had my car on 22psi and e85 for 1.5yrs, made 720/614 and this past October I lifted my driverside head when I ran 10.08.
A lot of people do get away with that boost level for a long time. I was not one of those people :(

gabe1530

Banned
if your going max boost, you really should put some arp2000 head studs in for insurance. you then could handle 24+ lbs safely on e85 with a good tune.

Nolimit

Established Member
It's really a roll of the dice. I had my car on 22psi and e85 for 1.5yrs, made 720/614 and this past October I lifted my driverside head when I ran 10.08.
A lot of people do get away with that boost level for a long time. I was not one of those people :(

You were on the factory longblock? You could prevented this by arp studs right? Just making sure. Upgrading heads studs isn't such a pain when the engine is out is it?

PC03GT

Established Member
Let you know next week. My buddy is finishing up his hellraiser:fm: build. They put in ARP studs they're shooting for 1200hp.

50q's

Established Member
With all this being said what do you all feel would be the best supercharger option for a stock motor on e85?

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
You were on the factory longblock? You could prevented this by arp studs right? Just making sure. Upgrading heads studs isn't such a pain when the engine is out is it?

Correct! I pulled the motor , had heads slight mill and new gaskets with arp2000 studs. Should do great this time around!

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I am at 21.5lbs on a stock motor.
Car makes 733/682 on e85 with a VMP TVS 2.3

garbonzo1991gt

Flying Monkey Commander
Established Member
I was 18psi for over 4 years with a KB Mammoth. I swapped pulleys and upped it to 21psi and lifted the head 1/2 mile from the dyno after tuning... The stock headbolts were the limiting factor in my case. If you're shooting for big boost/power numbers just do the headbolts for now and don't mess with anything else in the long block.

"Don't fix it if it aint broke" -Every old hot rodder I've ever met.

Users who are viewing this thread