Borla

GodStang

Established Member
I have swapped Borlas out on IRS. I just found the size I wanted and pulled the old muffler and added the new.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think the ATAKs are Borla's version of SLP Loudmouths. Essentially straight pipes. My Stingers are about as loud as I'd go with a catted mid pipe. I was looking at going to regular mufflers until I saw a video of my car posted. It just sounds so good now.

04oxfordvert

Established Member
I considered stingers, but read a thread where they were still on the loud side and the magnapacks were the quietest of the 3. I'm happy with the packs. Can talk to my wife without yelling now, no drone and still bark.

Sent from my SM-G781W using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Unfortunately no one around me has the Magnapacks. A friend has the regular Magnaflow mufflers and they sound pretty good. But if I did swap over I'd keep it Borla. I had an XR-1 on my old Expedition and it actually sounded mean.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Magnapacks on my car. They can’t be much quieter than the ATAKs can they!?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

04oxfordvert

Established Member
I have the Magnapacks on my car. They can’t be much quieter than the ATAKs can they!?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Oh big time. They are still loud but the dead literally rise when you drive by with ataks. I haven't taken my cats out yet to see difference. Once I get my fuel system in and start tuning with Kevin I'll take them out. The borla steel is nice, but I'm disappointed that it's not 2.5 inch OD or ID. And where the pipes turn at the back in the center to go out to the tailpipes I can't for the life of me get them to not hit. Can't get a gap it's horrible. Probably would not buy a borla product again.

GodStang

Established Member
There is never a shortage of people ditching ataks for something else. They must be really loud.

ATAKS just sound aweful. SLP, M50, S-Type (Stingers) and magnapaks are loud but there is still the smooth sound of the Mod Motor. With the ATAKS it just sounds like broken glass being shook around in a metal trash can. By far the worse sounding exhaust on a mod motor. Not a Borla hater either as I have Borla on mine.

cobracide

Established Member
I have the "Quiet Borla" with the following setup: JBA 1 5/8" Headers, Borla 14858 Catback, MRT catted H-pipe.

Nice and mellow, it's a shame the Borla 14858 catback isn't made anymore. Also was marketed by Steeda. Fairly mellow system that gets to a medium level when you get on it. Zero rasp and a classic V8 muscle car sound. The magnaflows on my 2001 were just a tad too quiet and a little too raspy and the 14858 hit the mark dead on.

ATAK seems way over the top. Both the ATAK the S type with the straight through design produce a ton of rasp. Pretty awful sound. Too bad because the quality is really good.

04oxfordvert

Established Member
Having had the atak, and now the magnapacks. The magnapacks win hands down. I don't have to yell at my passenger to have a conversation, there is no drone at highway speed and actually a tone. The ataks were just awful. I'm kind of wishing I would have bought a full magnaflow catback as the borla system wasn't even 2.5". And honestly it fits like crap. The steel however seems great. That's about it.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I had the Steeda version of the Borla system with the stock H and manifolds. People would come up to me years later and say it was one of the best sounding cars they ever heard.

fangin2u

Established Member
I have an 03 Cobra that I bought new. In 04 I replaced the stock exhaust with a BBK o/r x-pipe and Flowmaster cat back. Now it has BBK long tube headers and BBK o/r h-pipe and ATAKS. I’m 65 years old and I love the sound. I get my share of compliments on the sound.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I installed Borla Stingers on my stock '01 Bullitt. Best sounding car I've ever owned. Like ketchup on a hamburger.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I have slp. Extremely loud but still has the unique dohc modular sound. Perfect for a car like mine that only goes out a couple of times a month.

jjawilliams86

My 03 had JBA’s custom welded up x pipe, no cars and borla stingers. Sounds really good and I got have to yell at my passenger while driving on the freeway. I got some compliments on it last time I was at the gas station. Supercharger whine and deep tone when trying to put my foot in the oil pan.

Users who are viewing this thread