Boss 302 Manifold Issues

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Ya baby, lots of positive knock towards the top of your RPM range :) Looks like you're hitting +6 from 6500 until you let off the gas.

clinton2003

Established Member
Ya baby, lots of positive knock towards the top of your RPM range :) Looks like you're hitting +6 from 6500 until you let off the gas.

Thats a LOT of knock.... no wonder you so far down on power... i'd definitely say its bad fuel. or at least a big contributing factor. i cant look at it until i get home.

96gt02

Established Member
Wow this log looks crazy in livelink lol, your shits jacked up lol, on the initial WOT hit it adds timing up to -6 sub 3K which is normal on a base tune then its just chilling at 0 till 6K when it has two blips of +2 and then at 6500 all hell breaks loose and holds +6 till you let off at 6800ish, which is also super low for a boss to begin with but I imagine it would have just been knocking more if you continued. Man I think you have more issues than just fuel, usually bad fuel causes issues on the initial hit which yours adds timing.

clinton2003

Established Member
since its easy, toss a socket on top the knock sensors, make sure they are tight.... could induce false knock. also make sure nothing is bouncing around in there.

121AK

Established Member
since its easy, toss a socket on top the knock sensors, make sure they are tight.... could induce false knock. also make sure nothing is bouncing around in there.

Will do.

It’s worth noting my Boss 302 manifold came with a fuel rail and injectors. The previous owner had 20k miles less than my original so I used his.

I have an extra set of stock injectors I’m thinking about swapping out just to check that off the list.

clinton2003

Established Member
Dont just tighten the knock sensors they have to be properly torqued.
Mine came loose, and when your at a race, ripping the stock intake manifold out as fast as possible to try to make the qualifier, you dont use a torque wrench to tighten them. :D i dont think a little more torque is going to hurt them. im not saying to go nuts but make sure they are not loose.
I was getting false knock, and kept getting worse and worse and that was found to be my issue.

basspro302

Established Member
Nobody said that op is not currently at the track lol. Im just saying properly torquing them can save you alot of headache down the road. Im not sure how they respond to over torque but it could causue them to read improperly.

121AK

Established Member
Nobody said that op is not currently at the track lol. Im just saying properly torquing them can save you alot of headache down the road. Im not sure how they respond to over torque but it could causue them to read improperly.

Got the torque wrench out. I loosened them up with a socket and then torqued them backed down. They did seem kinda loose when I first touched them.

Attachments

• 90E45EB9-9D06-4E04-8E8B-2BEC075F7E58.jpeg
    90E45EB9-9D06-4E04-8E8B-2BEC075F7E58.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 296

4VFTW

Established Member
your A/F ratioos are off bank to bank with the passenger side being quite a bit leaner, the STFT is trying to compensate but is unable to correct it. since you replaced the plugs already do a compression test with the motor warm. if that checks out try cleaning the injectors and swapping them bank to bank a relog to see if the problem moves. Your MAF lb/min shows 35 which indicates around 350hp. Also getting alot of knock in the upper RPM most likely due to running out of fuel.

Is that log on your nitrous tune? 18deg timing at 6k is way low for an n/a 93 tune.

Last edited:

121AK

Established Member
your A/F ratioos are off bank to bank with the passenger side being quite a bit leaner, the STFT is trying to compensate but is unable to correct it. since you replaced the plugs already do a compression test with the motor warm. if that checks out try cleaning the injectors and swapping them bank to bank a relog to see if the problem moves. Your MAF lb/min shows 35 which indicates around 350hp. Also getting alot of knock in the upper RPM most likely due to running out of fuel.

Is that log on your nitrous tune? 18deg timing at 6k is way low for an n/a 93 tune.

Yup, I'm an idiot. That was a nitrous datalog. Attached is a 3rd gear pull on the NA tune.

have a new data log? did the knock go away?

I attached a new datalog. Seems like lots of knock still.

Attachments

• datalog6.csv
    726.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

121AK

Established Member
Lund finally got back to me and we made a discovery. Fueling from bank to bank on the WOT pull has over a 45% difference. Bank 2 shows a 25% rich correction and Bank 1 shows a 20% lean correct. They think it’s like the O2 sensors are swapped. I did mess with those when I removed my X-pipe a few weeks back. So this could explain it.

I remember hanging them on their respective sides when I took the x pipe off but maybe I damaged them or didn’t put them in back correctly.

I knew it had to be something I did as the car ran great before I did these mods.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I wouldn't think that the O2's being swapped would make any difference. Now, if you have the pass side harness hooked to the drivers harness, and viceversa , well that could cause an issue. I just don't see how that would be possible. I could see them maybe being damaged during removal as being likely.

121AK

Established Member
I wouldn't think that the O2's being swapped would make any difference. Now, if you have the pass side harness hooked to the drivers harness, and viceversa , well that could cause an issue. I just don't see how that would be possible. I could see them maybe being damaged during removal as being likely.

I removed the sensors and x pipe when I installed the blowfish trans bracket as it made things a bit easier.

What should my next step be here? Be a good idea just to order 2 new O2 sensors?

121AK

Established Member
Anyone have other ideas? I'm going to order 2 new O2 sensors as they currently have about 84k miles on them and Lund suggested they could be the fault.

96gt02

Established Member
So they are telling you that your rear 02 sensors are causing your issues or your fronts? Also are you getting any codes?

121AK

Established Member
So they are telling you that your rear 02 sensors are causing your issues or your fronts? Also are you getting any codes?

The tuner at Lund did not specify front or rear however when I installed the blowfish transmission bracket, I removed my X pipe to make installation a bit easier. When I did that, I removed the rear O2 sensors and temporarily hung them up. I swear I put them back but maybe I messed them up. I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread