Boss 302 Quad Pipes on a GT500

09VistaGT500

Established Member
I have zero drone with the Boss sidepipes and KR mufflers. Love it!

I had the KRs on my 2009 and were by far the best I've tried for my sound preference. Would love to hear them with the Boss Side Pipes. Do you have any videos?

Will the KR mufflers fit the 2011-12?

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Never really get on it as hard as I could as in most every clip it was rather cold out and the Whipple with hockey pucks gets a bit silly when pushed with no traction.:)

http://youtu.be/28OgYNQ526w?t=1m1s

Here's a clip from a fall/winter jaunt over to a friend's house. That's him commenting at the end. Video has completely degraded on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b6KyeSk_Dk

Here's directly at the quad exit. Doesn't capture real world tone/burble at all.

http://s772.photobucket.com/user/To...12 Boss 302 Exhaust system/VIDEO0022.mp4.html

What most any modular sounds like to me...

http://s772.photobucket.com/user/To...ss 302 Exhaust system/JetsonSchleppy.mp4.html

My '90 coupe, E303, headers, aluminum heads, TR3550, blah, blah. Hadn't started it in a couple of years. To me sounds much better than the typical blown Jetson's modular. Starts at 22 seconds or so and also has completely degraded...

http://s772.photobucket.com/user/To...02 Exhaust system/E303cammedfoxcoupe.mp4.html

jaiasmit

Established Member
Thanks for the clips Tob. It's actually not quite as loud as I expected. Sounds good, but I expected a little more volume I guess.

What's going on in the second clip? It sounds like something is dragging the ground as you're driving. I couldn't tell if that was just odd sounding gurgle from the side exit, or if it was something else dragging. The sound and video quality definitely degraded on import into YouTube, just wondering if that sound was there to some degree before, or if it was just an artifact of the YouTube transcoding.

I love the thought of the side exit and it being somewhat unique on the GT500. But, I also love the sound of the SW headers and catback. If doing both were easy, it'd be a no brainer, but I'm guessing I'd be getting close to $5,000 by the time I buy all the parts and pay for fabrication costs to get it to all work together. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Nothing dragging, that's just the way the sound has morphed and degraded on Youtube. The noise other than the exhaust is gravel being tossed up by the Goodyear's or buffeting at speed.

You simply can't capture the exhaust sound in video clips the same way it is in real life. Always sounds one dimensional. So don't try to take too much out of any of those clips.

You'll have to trust me on this - the burble that the Boss pipes provide is much different than your typical full length header blare. There's much more restraint but it will definitely attract a tuned ear because it simply sounds right.

jaiasmit

Established Member
Nothing dragging, that's just the way the sound has morphed and degraded on Youtube. The noise other than the exhaust is gravel being tossed up by the Goodyear's or buffeting at speed.

You simply can't capture the exhaust sound in video clips the same way it is in real life. Always sounds one dimensional. So don't try to take too much out of any of those clips.

You'll have to trust me on this - the burble that the Boss pipes provide is much different than your typical full length header blare. There's much more restraint but it will definitely attract a tuned ear because it simply sounds right.

Great, thanks for the extra info.

09VistaGT500

Established Member
Your welcome. Hope it helps. The more videos out there the more it helps everyone. I know it was hard to find but a few videos when I looked at this exhaust. The videos really don't do it justice. You have to ride or drive in one where you can feel it through the seat as well!

Last edited:

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Got a chance to install one of Tob's creations this weekend thanks to bpodner for being nice enough to offer it up back for sale. Install was actually WAY easier than I expected. Everything lined up perfectly and the new exhaust note more than EXCEEDED my expectations. Without the attenuation plates installed it a has nice DEEP growl and gurgles a little(very distinct for a GT500 IMHO). I couldn't be happier with the sound of my car at this point. Another HUGE thanks goes out to Tob and bpodner!!!!! A few pics of the quads installed below:

5nrvqh.jpg

281gcq0.jpg

50nn74.jpg

votxxg.jpg

314uv5c.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Nick, the placement at the tips is perfect. You can see them with the vehicle up in the air but can't really see them with the car on the road - just the way I like it. Hidden, and out of the way. And I think you'd agree that while the pipes add a growl or burble that wasn't there before, the tone is still relatively subdued and not overbearing in any way.

Interesting comparison between one of the shots you provided compared to a shot of the kit now offered from Ford Racing...

Yours...

ThesectionIdidforBradthatisnowonNickscar.jpg

FRPP's...

FRPPGT500Bossexhaustkit2_zps9414ef14.jpg

When I was trying to convince FRPP to offer a kit for GT500 owners I was pretty clear on the simplicity and as such the potential for a good return on investment for them. I explained that most of the existing work for the "H" section was already being produced for Ford by Faurecia (in Ohio) for the Boss 302 and that all FRPP would need to do would be to contract with them for a shortened section with a minor tweak to the entrance angles. In the end, they chose to fabricate their own section for their kit. Their "H" section doesn't include the stainless flex section that the factory engineers deemed necessary. Much like them missing the boat with a Damptronic Bilstein kit or a CF shaft kit, it would seem that they either don't pay attention very well or that their interests lie elsewhere. They don't even use a factory clamp(s) at the fore end of their kit when they clearly could have and most likely at a price point that Ford's own dealer service network couldn't even touch. In addition, the GT500 kit has a suggested retail price that is $300 more than the Boss kit for Coyote engines.

GT500 KIT

GT KIT

Again, making the GT kit work on an '11-'14 GT500 only required me to make four cuts to the Boss "H" section and then weld it back up to achieve the proper pipe angles to fit it to a GT500. FRPP's decision making is a bit baffling in this regard. They could have brought a better piece to the market for less money and I'd wager that would have bumped their sales numbers up a bit. From an economic, manufacturing, and marketing standpoint with this offering (as well as those they won't do) they continue to perplex.

twawsico

Established Member
Interesting comparison between one of the shots you provided compared to a shot of the kit now offered from Ford Racing...

Yours...

ThesectionIdidforBradthatisnowonNickscar.jpg

FRPP's...

FRPPGT500Bossexhaustkit2_zps9414ef14.jpg

In the end, they chose to fabricate their own section for their kit. Their "H" section doesn't include the stainless flex section that the factory engineers deemed necessary. Much like them missing the boat with a Damptronic Bilstein kit or a CF shaft kit, it would seem that they either don't pay attention very well or that their interests lie elsewhere.

Should the lack of the stainless flex section be a cause for concern for those of us with the GT500 kit?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The flex section was included by the original Boss 302 exhaust engineers to address any NVH issues. The rate and amount of expansion at that juncture made it a good idea to include the flex section at that point as well as the braided flex sections on each sidepipe. "Creaking/Moaning" is the issue I could foresee when those stresses aren't compensated for. The factory GT500 exhaust system allows for elongation/shrinkage via the "sliding" hangers that are in place all the way back at the mufflers. This system needs that same allowance fore/aft but also laterally from side to side.

Can GT500 owners get by with a solid "H" section in this application? Sure they can. But I would expect far more from FRPP from an engineering perspective as well as from a business perspective. In addition, they marketed this very GT500 offering with the wrong photo (they used that of an early Mustang GT custom "X" section) for almost a year when they had been notified repeatedly about it. They have the capacity to change/update mistakes on their parts website with a few keystrokes that would have amounted to about five minutes of effort by someone with FTP access at Ford racing.

This is the ad they ran with the incorrect photo...

_FRPPBOSS-GT500exhaustshowingincorrectphotoJuly2013.jpg

twawsico

Established Member
Gotcha. Makes perfect sense. Luckily, I've not had any issues with creaking/moaning with mine after about a year of use.

And I agree on their apparent lack of interest with getting that web page corrected. I know that I called to confirm that it came with the H pipe, and called again a bit later to remind them of their web page error after I saw that it hadn't been corrected. Combine that with your interactions with them about making a kit available and it's hard to tell where their heads/interest were on this.

Having said all that, I've got nothing but praise for the results once I had mine installed.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The idea to be able to use the sidepipes definitely has merit - it is a great sounding system. It's the effort at FRPP that is a bit disappointing. At least they finally decided to offer something.

Regarding the flex section, note that every Boss 302 development piece used it in the respective "H" section as well as every separate sidepipe that Ford engineers played with. The "winged" effort at the bottom of the photo is freaky...

1e9734fd-2ac4-4eb4-9e2e-4677f7dba526.jpg

From here.

bpodner

My work car!
Established Member
Nick, no problem bro! Had to make sure that system went to a good home after the work Tob did on it.
It definitely looks better on a coupe than a vert for the reasons pointed out in the other thread.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread