Boss 302R vs Treynor 458 Challenge in the Wet at Road Atlanta

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ben, I don't have personal experience with those tires but I do know quite a few guys who have run them on track and the overall consensus of the RE71s is they get too hot, too fast.

They are certainly a jesus tire for autox but have a tendency to fall off pretty early when constantly pushed.

It's my understanding that the RE11 is the more or less the road racing version of the 71s. They trade off peak grip for longevity but are still a nice tire.

We wandered the pits at the AER race, and everyone (except us :/ ) was running one of three tires:

Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec
Bridgestone Potenza RE71R
Hankook RS4

If we have time, we'll test all three to see how they perform, how they handle heat, and how they wear. It's going to be different for the 458 of course, since it is fairly light (2800 lbs) and quite powerful, but has skinny (265) front tires.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
We wandered the pits at the AER race, and everyone (except us :/ ) was running one of three tires:

Hankook RS4

If we have time, we'll test all three to see how they perform, how they handle heat, and how they wear. It's going to be different for the 458 of course, since it is fairly light (2800 lbs) and quite powerful, but has skinny (265) front tires.
My good friend ran the ZIIs and really enjoyed them, it's my understanding that they continue to stick until they are dangerously low on tread. I can't tell you how they take heat because he was in a Fiesta ST and that's not a very powerful car nor a very heavy one.

the5

Established Member

Hankook RS4

The Re71r on our Car last only about 3 hours, While Hankook would last an entire race weekend but would give up grip after 12 hours.

The reason we run Hankooks is because they last not because they are fast. Our car would be about 2 seconds faster if we had the Re71r.

As far as Tire size on Sunday we Were running 275 all around

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
No caption needed.
DW-Burnett-PUPPYKNUCKLES-AER-Road-Atlanta-2018-2599 (1).jpg

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
@treynor
Do you have your own pit crew or are you provided one like what competition motorsports does?
We use R3 Motorsports in Los Angeles. Turns out there's a whole industry devoted to trackside logistics and support.

Users who are viewing this thread