Boss 323ci 5.3l shortblock..who to build it and why?

Chuckie B

Established Member
Hey,
Thinking my cars going to need a new shortblock...thinking of going with a big bore boss 5.3l stroker. Car currently has a 2.3 whipple at 18psi but looking to go 20+psi and a 100shot for now... and a 3.4/turbo down the road

theres MMR, Livernois, shrader motors? Any suggestions on who and why? Looking for it to handle 1000hp. Dont think ill need it all but I want room to grow and feel safe. Im thinking of doing cams and maybe ported heads.. is their any real gain from just doing the cams or are ported heads a must? And people who have done this. What are the gains your seeing from the bigger Cubes/cams etc?

Im open to suggestions on alot of this. I just would like to do the motor once and be "happy"..

Thanks,
cb

wesking1

Established Member
Idk about the more cubes but bigger cams (stage 3 comps) on my old car picked up around 35 whp all around the rpm range.. If you run e85 and higher compression that will help pick up hp as well.. As far as who to build it I don't have any idea but if it was me I would talk to my tuner and ask him who he thinks along with his thoughts on different stuff for the build.

mach1033

Established Member
I went to L&M engines Hatboro PA. On a stock motor, 23lbs of boost, torco, 2.9 Whipple. It was right at 700. With a mild port and stage 3 cams it hit 692 on pump 93 at 18lbs of boost.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
If it were me, I would skip the boss stroker and just do a simple teksid block and stock crank & rods. With all the money you save from not doing a boss stroker, you can do all the upgrades to make the motor support well over 1000HP. The boss block seems to have sealing issues in high HP applications and I would be pretty leary. Go with a proven combination.

D-MANN

Established Member
I just asked this question on sealing issues in the MMR 5.3 thread and they said they had no issues with this. Then other threads say to use ARP 2000 torqued to 110 in boost over 20psi or the head will lift. I think 85 is the normal torque load.

Chuckie B

Established Member
We can get you a quality build together for your goals. Give us a call or PM us and we can work something up.
Hey...ive emailed back and forth with you guys the last few days and your working on a quote...but do you have a suggestion for a different set up better suited for me instead of the boss stroker? Im open to ideas
Steve Shrader in Lowell, NC is the one I went with. Gave me 800HP on pump-gas!!!!
is that your bad ass black terminator that I watch the idle video of everyday?. If so I love the car man. Whats the exhaust? And do you have any videos of the car?

eaglesnick

Established Member
My Boss stroker with ported heads and very mild cam similar to a stage 2 with 2.9L whipple on 17psi build by Big Daddy Performance in Lakewood NJ:

Attachment-1_zps2929565b.jpg

GTpower01

Established Member
L&M all the way!!! They make all the short blocks for livernois performance! Amazing company!

Although, save yourself a blown block and just go with a 5.0. 5.3 is risky, especially with high power levels. In the end I didn't go with a 5.0, as a teskid is better. Safer, strong, and 85lbs less weight off the front end. You will gain a little horsepower with a 5.0 or 5.3, but not much. Weight savings, especially 85lbs will allow you to run quicker times and will be faster than a 5.3 or 5.0 iron block. Another thing to consider, by saving 85lbs off front end you will hook much better on street and track because of better weight distribution.

Consider your options, up to you I guess. Good luck and hope that helps

GTpower01

Established Member
L&M all the way!!! They make all the short blocks for livernois performance! Amazing company!

Although, save yourself a blown block and just go with a 5.0. 5.3 is risky, especially with high power levels. In the end I didn't go with a 5.0, as a teskid is better. Safer, strong, and 85lbs less weight off the front end. You will gain a little horsepower with a 5.0 or 5.3, but not much. Weight savings, especially 85lbs will allow you to run quicker times and will be faster than a 5.3 or 5.0 iron block. Another thing to consider, by saving 85lbs off front end you will hook much better on street and track because of better weight distribution.

Get a teskid out of a Mark VIII or 96-98 cobra!! Strongest and good to 1200hp

D-MANN

Established Member
Looking at the web sites of the leading shortblock builders and it looks like everyone is pushing for stroker shortblock sales.No one is advertising built stock blocks or 5.0 boss blocks anymore.Its all about stroker engines yet alot on svtp say dont get a stroker.Why are these builders pushing stroker sales if a non stroker engine is more durable and seems to be the more popular route?As far as advertising goes in order to get a price on a built stock block i need to PM or call the builder.If stroker engines are known to fail it seems risky for engine builders to push for there sales.A bunch of failed engines could ruin a businesses rep.

Chuckie B

Established Member
L&m all the way!!! They make all the short blocks for livernois performance! Amazing company!

thank you for all the great info...I will look into the teskid..where is a good place to find one of these?..and whats a reasonable price to pay for one? How much $ do you have into yours, what rotating assembly do you have and what power can it handle? If you would rather pm me thats fine...I appreciate the other option. Just want to compare costs etc

Looking at the web sites of the leading shortblock builders and it looks like everyone is pushing for stroker shortblock sales.No one is advertising built stock blocks or 5.0 boss blocks anymore.Its all about stroker engines yet alot on svtp say dont get a stroker.Why are these builders pushing stroker sales if a non stroker engine is more durable and seems to be the more popular route?As far as advertising goes in order to get a price on a built stock block i need to PM or call the builder.If stroker engines are known to fail it seems risky for engine builders to push for there sales.A bunch of failed engines could ruin a businesses rep.

Im wondering the same thing? It seems every1 ive talked to that I want a motor to handle big boost applications or boost and spray...they point me to a boss blocked stroker? I guess ill have to do more research into these "issues" with them that people are talking about.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member

Ahhhhhh no. Not sure why everyone thinks this, Livernois machines/balances/assembles/checks every engine in house. Nobody makes them for them but their employees.

ctgreddy

Established Member
For the questions about the stroker blocks, I dont think there's much to worry about with them. I feel like people just expect them to last as long as a stock engine with stock power. But when you have an engine with a setup that produces 700+ whp you cant really expect to get 100k miles out of it without having to freshen it up.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
There is plenty of info out there regarding issues with boss strokers having sealing issues. Like I said before, all the money you save going with a teksid block as the base, you can spend it on all the other important upgrades to ensure a long life. The secondary chain tensioner upgrade, pivot dowel upgrade, stud the cams, crank key upgrade and the list goes on.

Boss or Standard Iron Block

Mofasta's BOSS 5.0 Build Thread

clnivens

Established Member
Hey...ive emailed back and forth with you guys the last few days and your working on a quote...but do you have a suggestion for a different set up better suited for me instead of the boss stroker? Im open to ideas
is that your bad ass black terminator that I watch the idle video of everyday?. If so I love the car man. Whats the exhaust? And do you have any videos of the car?

That is my car, unfortunately I dont have videos of the car. But Steve did happen to do a good job on mine and wanted to share it with you.

Users who are viewing this thread