• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Boss reliability

Discussion in '2012-2013 Boss 302 Mustang' started by 99SvtSlowbra, Aug 15, 2019.

1. 99SvtSlowbra

99SvtSlowbra New Member Established Member

Alright guys, I am looking within the next 6 months to get out of my 99 cobra and into something newer. I really like the boss cars but there is one thing that kinda scared about (besides mt82) I've read of a bunch of rods stretching/breaking at even na power levels, let alone the boost everybody else says theyre good for. What is everyones experience on this?

2. 96gt02

96gt02 Well-Known Member Established Member

are you sure your hearing this about Boss road runner engines? They are essential gen 2 blocks and extremely reliable and durable, pretty sure they will take 1000 HP as is

3. DAVESVT2000

DAVESVT2000 Well-Known Member Established Member

Just turned 33,000 miles on mine, I average 2-3 open track events per year, run the car hard to redline, never used a drop of oil, motor is just as strong as the day I got it.

Last year the rear end burped a little fluid out the breather, it got hot. Changed the fluid, good as new.

Trans fluid will get changed out in the next few weeks, a little hard to shift the other day 3 up to 4 while on track.

Overall one of if not the most reliable mustang I’ve ever owned.

4. 99SvtSlowbra

Yes im sure, i read multiple older threads about it

5. gt347mustang

gt347mustang Well-Known Member Established Member

Post the links.

6. 99SvtSlowbra

7. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

Did you actually read both threads? Or did you just post them up?

1st one blew up because it was running a steeda tune

2nd one has some mystery details missing as your not going 90mph in 3rd gear at 4000rpm.

96gt02 likes this.
  8. 99SvtSlowbra

Again it was just a couple examples i quickly found. I read a thread or 2 also about the sinter forged rods stretching when rev limit is raised above stock (where power is still being made) im just trying to get info, theres a couple models I'm looking at and i want to be aware of the issues with any before i make a decision.

9. KBBoss302

KBBoss302 Active Member Established Member

FYI the factory Boss 302S and 302R race cars ran 8200rpm and 8400rpm rev limits on stock internals. The Boss motors are pretty stout overall.

DAVESVT2000, 96gt02 and me32 like this.
  10. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

Just remember when your doing your research make sure to read. Cause it seems you have a very biased opinion on something your not sure about. The boss motors are pretty strong. I haven't actually seen a failure that wasnt cause by either user error or tune issues.

Now as for the MT82 your gonna have issues with it at some point. Some things that can fix them is changing the clutch at lower miles. They too seem to have issues at high rev going into gear. Other than that the boss is a great car over all.

11. boduke0220

boduke0220 Well-Known Member Established Member

They Are extremely reliable if taken care of properly. My S550 was daily driven with 850rwhp through a whipple and I have open tracked my Boss several times. the MT82, while isn't the greatest transmission, isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I Have an 01 bullitt and the MT82 shifts wayyyy better than the TR3650 does.

to sum it up, the road runner is a bad bitch. Find one that hasn't been abused and you'll be good.