Boss reliability

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I'll add to this thread, since Boss reliability is a worthy subject. I owned a 2012 with very low mileage and shortly after acquiring it noticed it was hard on oil. Long story short, I received a brand new long block from Ford under warranty. No idea what caused the oil burning, but was happy to get a new motor. I sold the car not too long after the new motor was put in because I wanted an 07-09 Shelby GT500 (bought an 08).

Fast forward to this past summer and I sold the GT500 and purchased a 2013 Oxford White Boss 302 with about 35K miles on it. So far so good. A recent oil analysis came back with excellent readings.

Both Boss' I owned suffered the occasional high RPM shift lockout.

Last edited:

4JDM

Established Member
Good stuff. I always measure my oil to ensure I get back what I put in after 5K miles. It's always what I put in. 4 oil changes so far. So I am considering my self lucky for now. Haha. I do love the Shelby's. Been thinking of grabbing one. Especially to put it below my 03 Cobra. That would just be a sight. Haha!

boss mt82 blues

Alright guys, I am looking within the next 6 months to get out of my 99 cobra and into something newer. I really like the boss cars but there is one thing that kinda scared about (besides mt82) I've read of a bunch of rods stretching/breaking at even na power levels, let alone the boost everybody else says theyre good for. What is everyones experience on this?
I'm sorry your mistaken you really are let me tell you something powdered metal rods have got a bad rap they make powder metal rods I can handle pro stock cars if you really want to get into this I've got an engineering documents that were published so 8 months after they designed the coyote they went to work on the Boss 302 and the rods and the boss are the strongest rods ever put into a Ford engine that's including the manly rods,that's it the strongest rod ever put into a Ford engine now think about that this goes back to the LeMans rods of the old 427s I mean the strongest ride now that's not me that's Ford engineering department they were quoted and they were talking amongst themselves and it was published they weren't trying to show off to people they said that they would love to see the garage mechanic throwing boost at this engine speaking of the roadrunner Boss 302 engine that they would more likely separate the heads from the block before they would destroy the bottom end people are putting 900 horse turbo kits on these and their last thing for years I too don't like powdered rods, but the sinter forging to quote them they said they added metal where it needed it they added metal in all the key areas and I'll say it again they said you will sooner separate the heads from the block before you will destroy the bottom end of one of these engines you're the first person I have ever heard of that says they've heard of a boss engine coming apart in the rock know anything's possible abuse is possible factory defect is possible, I just don't see what you're saying people were buying boss rods okay and building up their coyotes and boosting them people were buying the boss crate engine and boosting them specifically because it was a cheaper alternative and they're holding together now if I built another engine I have the boss engine and I love it so far it's been good I don't trust it yet because I've only had the car a couple few months the clutch is junk I have other issues I've had to deal with but the engine has been solid I'll do respect I don't believe what you're saying I think you should go back and read it you're probably talking about the 4.6 l powder metal rods they were good for about 450 some more some less same ride as the coyote too by the way same size I mean dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread