Bought an 08 GT/CS

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
Bought an 08 GT/CS (added pic)

well, I bought an 08 GT/CS in Perf. White. it is all stock except for welded in Flowmaster mufflers.

But I did take it to the track last night and I was a little disappointed. 4 passes and the first was my quickest bogging bad out of the hole... 14.46@99. Is this typical??? I thought for sure it would atleast crack 13's.

My final pass of the night I ended up leaving at 4K rpm's and it actually rolled out good and had the quickest 60 of the night with a 2.24, but still only ran 14.68@97mph.. what gives?

btw, I have 3.90 gears that will be going in soon and will be ordering the JLT/SCT combo from Brenspeed... any other suggestions??

GTCS1.jpg

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
no those times arent "typical"

to put it into perspective, my friends bone stock 08 gt premium ran consistant 13.7's on bald bfg's.

With a short throw, SCT tune and JLT CAI he ran 13.4's...

so 14.46, thats no nice

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
Yea, you should be running mid 13's easily.

Get some LCA's to help with the wheel hop, CMDP's, UDP, aluminum d/s, and some tires with your tune/CAI.

Also, check out S197Forum for tons of great info on these cars.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Definitely not typical. You just need some more seat time.

My 08 GT/CS with 3/4 tank of fuel, the shaker 1000 box still in the trunk went consistent 14.70's@98 mph at Bandimere Speedway. DA around 9000 feet. Only modifications to the car were a JLT with Brenspeed tune.

At or near sea level where you are, the car should pull down significantly quicker times.

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
hmm, ok, I will start modding anyways. I was thinking it should have been high 13's anyways. I thought the 2.24 60 wasn't too bad for stock tires.. That was with half tank.

thanks for the info... i may have been shifting a bit short since my Cobra had 4.10's and seemed to rev a lot quicker than this thing..

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
hmm, ok, I will start modding anyways. I was thinking it should have been high 13's anyways. I thought the 2.24 60 wasn't too bad for stock tires.. That was with half tank.

thanks for the info... i may have been shifting a bit short since my Cobra had 4.10's and seemed to rev a lot quicker than this thing..

You could have the 3.31's in there? Might want to check the axle code and whether or not it has the 3.55 limited slip. I wouldn't go with the 3.90's, but rather 4.10s. If the car has 3.31's, then you could always go the 3.73 which I think is really ideal for the car. Again had those in my 05' Roush and she moved out pretty good. At 2000+ft D/A she went 13.0@106 with UDP's, Catted X, JLT/XCal and the 4.10s

You will notice a HUGE difference with the JLT/Brenspeed Xcal. I installed that kit in my 05 and was like :eek: :eek: :eek: It really changes the dynamic of the car and mine put down 292/311 SAE with that kit.

Your 60ft is pretty bad as a 1.9-2.0 is a little more normal for a stock 3v on street tires.

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
I don't see how it could get a 1.9 60 since I left and 4000 and it didn't spin a bit, nor did the clutch slip.. lol

thx for the advice on the gear.. I thought the 4.10's might rob too much top end. but maybe not. I ran at 140 for about a mile the other night and it was as smooth as could be.. I need to check an RPM calc. I have the 3.90's now and only paid 50 bux NIB.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I don't see how it could get a 1.9 60 since I left and 4000 and it didn't spin a bit, nor did the clutch slip.. lol

thx for the advice on the gear.. I thought the 4.10's might rob too much top end. but maybe not. I ran at 140 for about a mile the other night and it was as smooth as could be.. I need to check an RPM calc. I have the 3.90's now and only paid 50 bux NIB.

The 4.10's do rob a lot of top end. I remember getting into a few fun runs on the highway and if I remember 110-115 was the top of 4th.

Are the 3.90's Motive? I heard those whine like a 1yr old all day long, but then again any set can if installed incorrectly. I will tell you that the gears, intake and tune will make the car dramatically different.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
is CS california special.. if so whay do they sell them out of CA?? of course unless its used and moved from state to state.

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
yes, it is california special. It was a package offered back in the late 60's if I am not mistaken..

yes, I checked the tag today and the car has 3.31 gears.

i still don't see it running any faster.lol

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Would explain the laziness out of the hole, but your bigger problem is the manual with 3.31's is not a limited slip.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Sounds good!! Me personally, I would dump the Motive's and get some FRPP 3.73's. Have you been to brenspeed.com yet? Seriously, he is one of the best tuners out there for the S197 cars. His tune was spot on and his customer service is top notch.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
yes, it is california special. It was a package offered back in the late 60's if I am not mistaken..

yes, I checked the tag today and the car has 3.31 gears.

i still don't see it running any faster.lol

I know about the 60's CS (it was actually 68 only).. i was not born in a barn guy.. thanks. I was just referring to if the CS was sold out of state. thats all

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
I know about the 60's CS (it was actually 68 only).. i was not born in a barn guy.. thanks. I was just referring to if the CS was sold out of state. thats all

OK fella. LOL the new CS is sold everywhere.

Redline: I have been looking at brenspeed and will be ordering most o my parts from there and getting the updated tunes from them.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
OK fella. LOL the new CS is sold everywhere.

Redline: I have been looking at brenspeed and will be ordering most o my parts from there and getting the updated tunes from them.

good choice! Brent is a great guy, and I don't know if have noticed but he is one of the top Saleen blower sales/installers as well!

Users who are viewing this thread