BPU Mods on Mystichrome Vert - Before & After Dyno Sheets and Vid

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
What a night and day difference BPU w/ tune makes on these cars!

I'm pumped the car picked up 63 HP from adding a JLT CAI and BF 2.76 pulley...
but I'm blown away that it picked up 106 TQ (with tune):burn:

Baseline Dyno Run

Mods:
  1. K&N drop in filer in stock hosing with snorkel removed
  2. MRT catted H-pipe + JBA exhaust
20130703_1856021_zps9fd6aae2.jpg

BPU Mods w/ Dyno Tune

Mods:
  1. Intake: JLT Next Gen CAI (filter in fender)
  2. Exhaust: MRT catted H-pipe + JBA exhaust
  3. Boost: Billet Flow 2.76 (upper pulley only)
20130703_1856511_zps0c980a7c.jpg

Baseline run = 413 / 385
vs.
BPU w/ tune = 476 / 491

20130703_1821431_zps7c476b60.jpg

Video of BPU Dyno Run

th_20130628_1533271_zpscee8d323.jpg

Data log results show the following:
  1. MAF was maxed out
  2. Fuel pump duty cycle at 100% around 5.5K
  3. Voltage drop at WOT
Final outcome is that the car will need 4 supporting mods to safely run the BPU set up:
  1. MAFia
  2. KB BAP
  3. Alternator pulley
  4. PPVR delete (car now hesitates between shifts)

Shoutout to:
  • The SVTperformance forum members and local SoCal owners for providing tons of info and also feedback on good shops to get work done and tuning
  • Ed @ Ed's Speed Shop for answering my questions without ever pressuring me to buy and giving good advice and good deals on parts
  • Greg @ RET for the install of mods, safe dyno tune and for taking time to discuss the data log showing the need for a few supporting mods to cushion the safety zone

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Did Racer's Edge discuss the voltage drop at WOT issue in depth with you? Is this your factory alternator? Did they check the alternator? The voltage drop is usually caused by either a failing alternator or a heat issue (not uncommon due to the location of the alternator). IMO you should have the alternator checked before going the underdrive pulley route. If the alternator is starting to fail, you need to address that first. In most cases replacing the alternator will solve the problem. If it's a heat issue, a cooling duct may help IF the alternator is fine. I really do suggest that you have your alternator checked to see if it is starting to fail.

Absolutely awesome numbers you got with that 2.76 upper only setup. Even taking into considering the numbers are uncorrected, they are well above average. That monster torque must have felt overwhelming when you took it out for the first drive. Congrats!! :beer:

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
Bob, thanks for the tip on the alternator. :thumbsup: Ed and Greg at Racer's Edge did tell me to get the alternator checked before I go back to get the MAFia, BAP and retune.

I didn't post anything about it yet because I didn't have time this week to get confirmation if the issue is a failing alternator or not.

I want to replace the alt pulley regardless to prevent having alternator issues in the future, although it is possible I have issues now with the current one. Car has 69K on it and am not sure if it is the original?

If it's a heat issue, a cooling duct may help

I've not heard of the cooling duct mod? I'll check your awesome Terminator FAQ site.

Absolutely awesome numbers you got with that 2.76 upper only setup. Even taking into considering the numbers are uncorrected, they are well above average. That monster torque must have felt overwhelming when you took it out for the first drive. Congrats!!
beerchug.gif

Yes, I continue to be overwhelmed with joy from the monster torque!!!! :dancenana:The numbers the car is putting down is bonus for sure. :rockon: It blows the tires off in second now if I stab it. Time to upgrade the tires as Goodyear Eagle F1s came on the car when I bought it.

A huge grin emerges every time I drive the car now! :D

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
Bob, just saw this in your FAQ:
CobraBob's Terminator FAQ said:

Does a smaller upper pulley or larger crank pulley require a larger alternator pulley to under drive my alternator?

You need to understand that the upper pulley is a driven pulley and the lower crank pulley is a drive pulley. The only accessory driven by the blower belt is the alternator. Changing the upper pulley has no affect whatsoever on the alternator's driven speed. The only time you have to worry about that is when you change the drive speed when you change the lower crank pulley. So if you change to a larger lower crank pulley it is recommended that you install a larger alternator pulley to offset the increase in speed from the larger lower crank pulley.
The stock alternator pulley is 2.6". The most common upgrades are a 3.2" for a 4 lb. lower and a 3.5" for a 6 lb. lower. "

Bob, my question is does adding the alternator pulley help prevent excessive wear on the alternator?

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
Got the alternator checked today and based on the reading there is nothing wrong with it. Reading put out 13.8-13.9.

Data log at time of dyno showed voltage was fine until it was under load. Is there anyway to test it under load?

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
Got the alternator checked today and based on the reading there is nothing wrong with it. Reading put out 13.8-13.9.

Data log at time of dyno showed voltage was fine until it was under load. Is there anyway to test it under load?

Even though the alt checked out on the machine at the auto parts store, I wasn't feeling 100% convinced since the data log from the dyno pull showed voltage dropping off.

I went ahead and data logged myself a few low gear pulls and think there is an issue with the alternator despite it showing ok at idle.

I piggy backed my question off an existing thread in the Engine/Tuning section --> Idle Voltage

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
congrats! greg is the man. gonna feel like a night and day difference from stock, gotta love these cars :rockon: bring it out to irwindale one Thursday and see how it does!

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
I've been itching to get passes under the car since I got it, but a few things have been holding me back.

#1 - I just got the firewall adjuster installed so I can shift at high rpm
#2 - I'm on Goodyear F1s (for the time being)
#3 - I prefer 1/4, (especially considering #2)
#4 - I've read a few of the local strips require "roll protection" for Verts, which I don't have

I see you have a Vert, what roll protection do you have to be able to run and at which tracks.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
oh I prefer the 1/4 mile too, but they are few and far between anymore. we have to drive all the way up to Bakersfield unfortunately

before I put gears in my vert, I never ran faster than 8.0 at irwindale (iirc) and they never said anything. but then I went 7.88 @ 91 and they said something. so I got a light bar, and although that is not roll over protection, they do seem to at least see something in there and have been ok with it.

I went 12.1 at famoso and they did not say anything

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
ok...couple things...but first congrats on the #'s you should be happy

you need the alt pulley...these cars from the day they leave the factory have over spun alt's.......hence all the issue's you see on this forum.

The rule at the track is 13.49 or faster needs a roll bar....in real life, you'll be fine to get one or two runs in and then be told to sit down. This depends on how strict your local track is. Here in New England.....I have seen some cars go all day in the 12's and not get told to sit. I have run mine before....told them I was going to run at 13.7 and passed tech no issue. Keep in mind tho, every track is different.

How do you like that MRT catted H......I still have the stock mid pipe and have considered switching. Never been a big X pipe guy. Have any more sound clips or videos?

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
oh I prefer the 1/4 mile too, but they are few and far between anymore. we have to drive all the way up to Bakersfield unfortunately

So Bakersfield is the closest 1/4 then.... I'm sure I'll head up there at some point but my concern on such a long way from home is what happens if I break??? :burn:Are there any trusted shops that people use when such an event happens and they are from out of town?

before I put gears in my vert, I never ran faster than 8.0 at irwindale (iirc) and they never said anything. but then I went 7.88 @ 91 and they said something. so I got a light bar, and although that is not roll over protection, they do seem to at least see something in there and have been ok with it.

I went 12.1 at famoso and they did not say anything

Great info! That is what I was wondering if the light bar would be good enough to fly under the radar. Thanks! :thumbsup:

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
what is the normal volts should read at WOT in your setup or high boost setup

Not sure exactly, maybe someone can define that for us?

I data logged another pull and the higher the rpm went, the lower the volts dropped. That log showed it bottomed at 12.4 @ 5K (I didn't take it past that point).

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
ok...couple things...but first congrats on the #'s you should be happy

you need the alt pulley...these cars from the day they leave the factory have over spun alt's.......hence all the issue's you see on this forum.

Thanks man! :beer: You read my mind because that was my next question due to the fact that my voltage seems fine while at idle and low rpm, but the minute I do a pull then it drops.

Any suggestion on the pulley size to swap on the alternator?

The rule at the track is 13.49 or faster needs a roll bar....in real life, you'll be fine to get one or two runs in and then be told to sit down. This depends on how strict your local track is. Here in New England.....I have seen some cars go all day in the 12's and not get told to sit. I have run mine before....told them I was going to run at 13.7 and passed tech no issue. Keep in mind tho, every track is different.

Good advice and at least worth a shot. And at this point, I think I'm going to score one of those light bars on sale from American Muscle

How do you like that MRT catted H......I still have the stock mid pipe and have considered switching. Never been a big X pipe guy. Have any more sound clips or videos?

I love the way the car sounds. Hell everyone who hears this car loves the sound and comments on it. Credit goes to the previous owner (who is a forum member) :thumbsup: for going through a few different exhaust set ups before he found the combo he liked.

I don't have any videos other than the dyno pull, but I'll get some made and post them.

Users who are viewing this thread