Braided brake lines

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
For those who have installed front (mm) braided brake lines, what has been the pro's and con's if any.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
These are parts that should be "Lifed." Given that they're shielded by the braided stainless, you cannot inspect them for bulges or weak spots on the hose, or cracks near the hose end.

Because of this, you should run them for no more than 3 years at a stretch.

black 10th vert

Established Member
These are parts that should be "Lifed." Given that they're shielded by the braided stainless, you cannot inspect them for bulges or weak spots on the hose, or cracks near the hose end.

Are the teflon lined stainless jackets weaker than the rubber OEM ones? the reason I ask, is that most people NEVER replace the OEM rubber lines for the life of the car - unless they do crack, or otherwise leak. I understand what you're saying about not being able to inspect them as readily, but aren't they more durable to begin with because of superior materials? Not trying to pick apart your post, just trying to understand if there is something you know of these (reliability wise) that I haven't read about.

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
This is why i ask the question, a good friend of mine who owns a repair shop told me that he has had several customers over the past few years that upgrade to braided lines but had several problems with them, mostly caliper lock up because of kinks or blockage of the small diameter of the hoses that can not be seen. Granted they were not Cobra's but still a problem that has come up.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member

What you said makes a lot of sense. I was always wondering why a part that is suppose to be much stronger & better then the OEm rubber was not recommended by my installer. Now I can kinda see why. :beer:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Are the teflon lined stainless jackets weaker than the rubber OEM ones? the reason I ask, is that most people NEVER replace the OEM rubber lines for the life of the car - unless they do crack, or otherwise leak. I understand what you're saying about not being able to inspect them as readily, but aren't they more durable to begin with because of superior materials? Not trying to pick apart your post, just trying to understand if there is something you know of these (reliability wise) that I haven't read about.

no, nothing that I know of. but as you point out, rubber lines do crack and split and blister so they require periodic inspection too.

wasn't there a recall for the '96 or '97 cobra ford front brake hoses? stock brake hoses on those cars wont pass tech at the racetracks I frequent.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
This is why i ask the question, a good friend of mine who owns a repair shop told me that he has had several customers over the past few years that upgrade to braided lines but had several problems with them, mostly caliper lock up because of kinks or blockage of the small diameter of the hoses that can not be seen. Granted they were not Cobra's but still a problem that has come up.

that's an install error.

Users who are viewing this thread