brake squeal fixed (for now)

fiveoguy

Established Member
I noticed that several people had mentioned that their back brakes had started squealing. Mine started squealing at around 500 miles and got to the point where it was driving me nuts. I pulled of the pads and sanded them down a little, getting everything nice and smooth, stuck em back on and the squeal is gone. They didn't appear to be glazed much if any, so I'm wondering if maybe there was a collection of brake dust and dirt caught up in there. Anyway, this kept me sane for now, thought I would share.

mosconiac

Established Member
I wonder if these pads shouldn't be "seasoned" by putting them through a few good heating cycles when they are new, which is standard practice for performance pads.

I've yet to really stomp on the brakes in my '03 and that may explain why mine squeal now...I didn't break them in aggresively and they may be glazed over now.

eddy z

Established Member
i have 1600 miles had the car since June. and my brakes still squeak.. i think these pads are defective, as ford told me back in July, they squeak b/c of the humidty.. well, living here in chicagoland, now.. its like in the 40's as a high, with no humidty.. guess what, they still squeak real bad...

Poison_S

Established Member
I started noticing a brake sqeal about two weeks ago with about 600 miles on the vehicle.

When it started, it could only be heard with the windows down and seemed to come from the driver's side front. It would go away after the brakes would heat up and of course when I applied the brakes. This didn't bother me too much.

Today, with 900 miles on it, the brake sqeal is so loud I can hear it with the windows up and when I apply the brakes 10%-15% the sqeal is only slightly muted, but still there. Apply the brakes a little more and the sqeal is muted, but I begin to hear a grinding noise.
:cuss:

Anyone else (besides the few of us in this thread) experience this progressive behavior?

Has anyone addressed it with the dealer?

Of course when I took it in and test drove it with the tech about a week ago, they were quiet.

Thought I would ask what others may have experienced before taking it back.:shrug:

SonterraSVT

10thAnniversary SVT Cobra
Established Member
A yellow `03 Cobra at a dealership here in S.A. had that rear break squeal while they were test driving it. The stated they adjusted the breaks and it went away. Not sure how, they did not give the full details.

mosconiac

Established Member
My '03 is in the shop right now for a list of issues, brake squeal included.

I'll post the finding late this week or monday.

eddy z

Established Member
Poison_S-- as mentioned in my post above you.. "ford" the dealership gave me the lines of BS... I am thinking of taking to another dealership for a second look, and I am going to call SVT today on this for there edited version of this non existent issue..

mosconiac--keep us posted on your outcome with your visit from the dealership regarding this whole brake squeak issue...

Poison_S

Established Member
Sounds good Eddy Z.

Now that there are more of us on the road and with more miles, an inherent problem will begin to reveal itself in greater numbers.

Thanks for the feedback Mosconiac, we'll look fwd to your response.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I wash the wheels and rotors with diluted Turtle Zip car wash followed by a water hose on full pressure to remove the dust, and have had NO brake squeal problems. I also wax the rims and the brake dust rinses right off. Drove the car easy for 1,000 miles before pushing the engine or brakes. In my humble experience that makes for the best break-in of both.

Poison_S

Established Member
Update on the brake squeal...

The good news is the Ford dealership was able to eliminate the brake sqeal coming from the front driver's side.

Basically, they found some residue on the rotor and took a fine grain sand paper to remove it.

The bad news is, now the same thing is starting with the passenger side @970 miles. :bored:

Has anyone changed pads on their cobra?

What did you go with? And did it eliminate the sqeal?

mosconiac

Established Member
I wish I could post that my dealer took care of my brake squeal, but the typical happened (my dealer has about a 50% success rate of fixing the problems I bring to them...what do I know, I'm only an Engineer and drive the car EVERYDAY). So...the SVT Tech drove it and "could not confirm Owner's complaint."

Meanwhile, my brakes squealed all the way home....:fm:

OK, let's finish on a positive note. The dealer reflashed my PCM with the "new" code (couldn't tell me if this is the YDH0 code or not) and it cleared up my rough idle. Oh yeah, they sucessfully rotated my tires, too! Oh and they sucessfully changed the oil, too! Ok, so it's a *sarcastic* positive note. LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread