Brake up-grade

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
some guys on here have the eradispeed rotors,,,I think those look badass!! If i upgrade,,I will for sure go with the eradis. :thumbsup:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by CatchMeCopper
are there any brake systems that actually improve breaking performance as well as looks? Link me up with eradispeed please :D

I'm looking intently at the front 4-pot Brembo calipers, pads, lines, and rotors from the Cobra-R. That setup will significantly improve braking distance and fade. It costs about $1000. However, before I actually do it, I'm going to evaluate some other comparable systems.

Mark

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
My brakes stop the car just fine. I don't care what the brake rotors look like but if someone has tried a different brake pad for the rear brakes that cut down on the brake dust which accumulates on the back wheels and lower quarter panels, then I'd be interested.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by 03 Red Cobra
My brakes stop the car just fine. I don't care what the brake rotors look like but if someone has tried a different brake pad for the rear brakes that cut down on the brake dust which accumulates on the back wheels and lower quarter panels, then I'd be interested.

I too was happy with the brakes on my '03. They are not as good as the ones on my C5 but they work pretty well. However, stopping from 120mph to 0 at the drag strip the other night made me reconsider what I consider to be adequate braking ability. I'm now going to upgrade my stock brakes to achieve better performance and probably also appearance.

Mark

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by mjchip

I too was happy with the brakes on my '03. They are not as good as the ones on my C5 but they work pretty well. However, stopping from 120mph to 0 at the drag strip the other night made me reconsider what I consider to be adequate braking ability. I'm now going to upgrade my stock brakes to achieve better performance and probably also appearance.

Mark

The Cobra and C-5 brakes are for the most part the same. They both have twin-piston PBR calipers on the front with 13" rotors and single-piston calipers on the rear except the C-5 have a 12.2" rotor and the Cobra has an 11.65".

Brembo is the big name in brakes and the one I would go with. Baer uses PBR calipers which is what we have stock. I am thinking about putting the Brembo 4-piston system with slotted rotors on the front and moving the stock front system to the rear.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u

The Cobra and C-5 brakes are for the most part the same. They both have twin-piston PBR calipers on the front with 13" rotors and single-piston calipers on the rear except the C-5 have a 12.2" rotor and the Cobra has an 11.65".

Brembo is the big name in brakes and the one I would go with. Baer uses PBR calipers which is what we have stock. I am thinking about putting the Brembo 4-piston system with slotted rotors on the front and moving the stock front system to the rear.

The C4 calipers were the same as the PBRs that we have on the Cobra. The C5 calipers are much larger with larger pistons and much more swept area. The rotors are larger diameter and thicker also. Both the front and rear brakes are ducted. The braking capability of my dad's 2002 Z06 puts that of my Cobra to shame. Not what most people want to hear BUT my opinion nonetheless.

Mark

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
mjchip cool you made me interested and research this a little. I could only find real specifications on the 98 Cobra, but I have found the rotors are the same as the 03 the only difference is suppose to be the pad compound. So theses specs should be valid and not have changed. The Corvette information is from Chevrolet website for current year and includes all models. I must say I wish Fords specification page was more like Chevy's.

Rotor Outer Working Diameter (in.)
Cobra F-13.0 R-11.65
C-5 F-12.6 R-12.6

Rotor Thickness (in.)
Cobra F-1.10 R-0.71
C-5 F-1.26 R-1.27

Swept Area (in. squared)
Cobra F-225.7 R-190.0
C-5 F-263 R-158

Gross Lining (sq.-in.)
Cobra F-33.6 R-16.6
C-5 F-22.6 R-8.7

Effective Area (sq.-in.)
Cobra F-33.0 R-16.6
C-5 F-22.3 R-8.7

For allot of information on 98 Cobra's. Which most of the information is still the same.
http://www.mich.com/~drudis/must98/must98d.htm

I also found out that the Cobra caliper is a direct swap component with the ZR-1 and it is different from the C-5. The C-5 pistons are 40mm where ares are 38mm. Otherwise they are the same.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread