Brakes Squealing on '03

mosconiac

Established Member
I've noticed that my '03 Cobra (5100 miles on the odometer) has developed a brake squeal. All factory brake components and no hard stops of any kind.

Do the factory pads tend to squeal or am I looking at new pads??

Actually, it really wouldn't hurt my feelings much because I want to ditch those lousy dust-throwing rear pads anyway.

Mosconiac

skstang

Established Member
Mine have made noise from about 500 miles on. I think Ford should have to fix this. I know brakes arent normally covered but there seems to be a problem here.It is very annoying to have such a powerful car and go up to stop lights making this noise.:cuss:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Yep

Mine has done this since very early as well. Only 1550 miles are on it now.

Sometimes it's worse than others.

mosconiac

Established Member
Since this seems to be a common problem, has anyone located the squeal yet (front/back)???

I vaguely remember reading about Corvettes having a problem similar to this many, many years ago. Some sort of chemical was applied and the squeal went away. Anyone have a better memory of this than I??

matstang03

Established Member
Same goes for me. i have had the squeal all along. it comes from the back brakes. I kinda got used to it by now, but i would like to get it fixed.
matt

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I've got about 5500 mi on the odo and mine squeals as well. RT Rear to be specific. It donesn't do it every time just when there is a lot of people around to notice. All the brake dust is becoming bothersome as well. Personnaly I attribute it to myself 3X @ the strip totaling approx 15 passes. More specifcaly trying to hold the brakes during a burnout (still trying to get it right 100% of the time). I'd long since replaced the pads if it wern't for my maintenance warranty. Oh well it's no big deal really just a little annoying.

NickSVT03

Established Member
Mine has done it since about 300 miles, it is VERY annoying and I hate it. I will not pay for new brake pads when I only have 1500 miles on the car so ford can kiss my a$$!:cuss:

Now that I have vented, has anyone taken their car into service for this?

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Don't feel so bad about brake squealing.... Most high performance cars do.... It's a prestigious sound.

:p :rollseyes :D :coolman: :sleeping: :thumbsup:

eddy z

Established Member
i have had break squeal since day one on this car... at first i thought it was just breaking itself in,ect... then after 500 miles, still had the noise of the brakes, ect.... At 1000 miles, i had the car in for other warranty work, and brought their attn of the brakes.. Answer was from ford service rep: "Combation of the humidy and the cobra brakes are aggresive. They will squeak from time to time as a direct result. No soultion." Well, the humidty factor maybe at times, but aggressive?? New one on me.. My shop friends, feel, these are defective pads.. Nothing that will ruin anything. Just be annoying...

I currently have 1500 miles, and still squeaks strong..

Users who are viewing this thread