Brand new car, low on oil????

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
So I've been driving the GT for a couple of weeks now, less than 1k miles on it still. So I go to check the oil level tonight and its below the bottom dot on the dipstick?? WTF, did Ford underfill the car from the factory? I'm not leaking anywhere and no smoke. Seems like something I should've checked earlier but damn, is it an unreasonable assumption that the car would come with oil in it??? Anyone else have a similar experience w this? :shrug:

Mika

Established Member
A lot of threads about people burning oil their first oil change, and then afterwards normal oil consumption(if any). I've added about a quart to my car and I just turned 2,000 miles today.

There are cars that come from the factory from time to time with no fluids(sometimes no oil, sometimes no coolant, etc). It happens, but its pretty uncommon.

Mika

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
hmmm... well I added a quart and a half. Hope the engine doesn't have any internal damage from it. Guess I'll keep a close eye on it from now on.

my98stang46

Established Member
Just read on LR where some dealers over looked checking the oil on the PDI. It happens. Just keep an eye on it

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
These cars burn oil during break in, as do most. Nothing to be worried about. Once your rings start to seat it will slowly go away. Changed my oil at 4600, problem went away. Put in two quarts between 0 and 4600 miles though.

scott_0

Established Member
could very well have been delivered low on oil, as said you will see some usage during the break in period but it shouldnt be excessive. bring it up to the full level (full on my particular car is half way b/w the hash marks on the dipstick) and keep an eye on it. I make it a habit to check my oil level atleast every other day until I get more miles on the car

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I checked mine when I took delivery 3 miles on the car. It was delivered 1.5 qts low. Dealer said it happens and topped it off. All other fluid levels were fine.

Last edited:

fake

Established Member
There have been numerous posts with cars being delivered low on oil. Some have had to have the engine replaced; but if you still had some on your dipstick, you will be ok.

apg2369

SNAKE OF ALL TRADES
Established Member
What happened to Ford checking oil level when a new car comes in (lol) cutbacks in the lot lizzard department I guess.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
There's been a few reports of this happening. Checking all fluids is supposed to be on the dealer delivery checklist. At least it was back when I worked for a ford dealership.

I'm wondering is ford isn't shipping cars with less oil for transportation cost decreases. Maybe I'm REALLY over-thinking that as well. A couple pounds off each car could add up to significant amounts of weight.

Regardless, I've been checking my oil each time after it has a change. Many folds just aren't used to see a mustang come through needing 8 quarts.

Users who are viewing this thread