BRaptor gets a Homemade ("JLT") Oil Separator | 1,000 Mile Review

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I can't believe I haven't posted this yet. The day after picking up my BRaptor I headed over to @Livernois Motorsports for a little bone-stock dyno session. However, before spinning the rollers I wanted to get an oil separator plumbed into the intake tract. Certain EcoBoost engines (such as the Raptor's 3.0L) are particularly susceptible to coking up the intake valves because they don't have a port fuel injector spraying on the back of the valve. That fuel spray goes a long way towards keeping things clean. Not having that means keeping oil from the PCV system off the valves is paramount.

Luckily, I had a pile of old JLT oil separator parts laying around. I had used these units on several Fords in the past, and always been happy with the way they performed. So with a little help (and loaner tools) from the guys at Livernois and few fittings graciously provided by Holbrook Racing, we were able to cobble together a home-brew kit. We ran this setup for 1,000 miles and then worked with the crew at J&L Oil Separators build a Ver. 2.0 (more on that later). Check it out:

Bronco_Oil_Sep_1_001.jpg
Bronco_Oil_Sep_1_007.jpg
Bronco_Oil_Sep_1_008.jpg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Trav, being a EB, you gotta use the correct tubing, or that vehicle, inside, outside, and the garage it's parked in, will smell like a gasoline soaked, oil infested, bordello.

I've chased and fought that gas/oil stench for the past ~3 years after I installed a JLT Oil Separator on our '19 Explorer Sport w/3.5L EB.

I'm on my 4th set of tubes from JLT (no longer JLT, but OSC). They've been good about sending alternative hoses, but smh.

These seem to have contained the stench. I received them from JLT/OSC, and installed them back on 4/18/22.

The others that came with the kit, or JLT/OSC sent me as a fix, lasted about 3-6 months before the gas/oil stench seeped through the tubing.

8F607A27-EDE8-4CEB-B73F-D5F4F8E71DE1.jpeg

FWIW, I have a JLT oil separator on my '20 5.0L stock Mustang and no smell issues.

Another reason why I'll do my best to NOT buy any Ford with an EB.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Trav, being a EB, you gotta use the correct tubing, or that vehicle, inside, outside, and the garage it's parked in, will smell like a gasoline soaked, oil infested, bordello.

I've chased and fought that gas/oil stench for the past ~3 years after I installed a JLT Oil Separator on our '19 Explorer Sport w/3.5L EB.

I'm on my 4th set of tubes from JLT (no longer JLT, but OSC). They've been good about sending alternative hoses, but smh.

These seem to have contained the stench. I received them from JLT/OSC, and installed them back on 4/18/22.

The others that came with the kit, or JLT/OSC sent me as a fix, lasted about 3-6 months before the gas/oil stench seeped through the tubing.

View attachment 1770004

FWIW, I have a JLT oil separator on my '20 5.0L stock Mustang and no smell issues.

Another reason why I'll do my best to NOT buy any Ford with an EB.

I haven't had any fuel vapor issues. I'm running that style of hose currently on my new setup.

Ramairgt1

ST 'D
Established Member
JLT just sent me replacement hoses for my Explorer oil separator.
Strong stench of oil coming off the cannister and hoses.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Missed this at first, glad it was in your email. I have the 2.7 TT in my 2018 Fusion Sport, and just got the OSC separator for it, albeit 20k late. But better late than never. Beautiful footage of your drive home, Sid.

Users who are viewing this thread