BRaptor Gets More BOOOOOOST!!!! | JB4 Device Install at 5 Star Tuning

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
BRaptor Gets More BOOOOOOST!!!! | JB4 Device Install at 5 Star Tuning

BRaptor_JB4_Install_013.jpg

Let's face it, we all knew this day had to be coming soon. In the true SVTP fashion we had to add more boost. The BRaptor had driven from MI to SC and now had about 1,200 miles on the odo. Truth be known, we had been planning this install with the guys at 5 Star Tuning for months. However, we didn't know if this device was going to be compatible with the Bronco Raptor's 3.0L EcoBoost engine.

BRaptor_JB4_Install_003.jpg

The JB4 has a vert nice weather-sealed billet aluminum case and well sorted wiring. The install is very incognito.

Like many new Fords, the Bronco's ECU is locked from the factory. That means outside of a few exceptions, custom tuning is not yet available. However, that hasn't stopped the aftermarket from finding ways to increase performance. The 5 Star Tuning Crew crew have been installing Burger Tuning JB4 Devices, with great success, for quite some time now. So naturally we had to try out the JB4 on the BRaptor, and it worked perfectly.

BRaptor_JB4_Install_001.jpg

This is basically the definition of 'Boost in a Box."

BRaptor_JB4_Install_002.jpg

This install would have been a lot easier if all the surfaces weren't at full operation temperature.

BRaptor_JB4_Install_004.jpg

This is how the bluetooth antenna attaches. If you buy your JB4 from 5 Star Tuning you can skip this step, they take care of it for you.

The device itself is a simple plug-and-play piggyback device that just takes a couple minutes to install. Then we just had to download the app to control the device via bluetooth from a phone. The JB4 comes loaded with a plethora of different maps, which manipulates boost levels in a variety of ways, and allows you to take advantage of higher octane fuels. It also gives you the option to create your own custom map.

BRaptor_JB4_Install_009.jpg

Changing the map is beyond simple.

So with the American made billet aluminum cased JB4 device installed, it was dyno time. All runs were made in 5th gear, to avoid hitting the relatively low speed limiter, and with a 10% load on the eddy brake. That would help the turbos build boost in a manner similar to being on the street. The tank was filled with 93 Octane pump gas, and we made 3 pulls with each map. We started in the basement with Map 0, which is completely stock, in order to get a baseline. It ended up making 362.6 HP and 399.6 lb-ft.

BRONCO RAPTOR 3.0 stock data.jpg

That was just the beginning. Just a few clicks on the phone had us into Map 1, which gives a mild increase in boost but a significant increase in performance. The result is 372.5 HP and 437.1 lb-ft.

BRONCO RAPTOR 3.0 map1 data.jpg

Moving on down the line, it was time to move over to Map 2. Horsepower stayed basically the same as Map 1, but torque saw a nice bump. The result is 377.3 HP and 445.6 lb-ft.

BRONCO RAPTOR 3.0 map2 data.jpg

Moving on up to Map 3, we had come to the tippy-top of what pump 93 and the factory intercooler could support. The result is 394.0 HP and 447.1 lb-ft.

BRONCO RAPTOR 3.0 map3 data.jpg

We made a couple pulls with the JB4 set to Map 4, but didn't see any significant increase in power. We had reached the point of diminishing returns based on the current setup. However, we aren't finished yet. In the not-to-distant future we will be installing a prototype Whipple Intercooler. It represents a massive increase in both flow and heat rejection over the small'ish factory unit. Be on the lookout for that.

I know there aren't a ton of Bronco Raptors out in the wild yet, but there are several standard Broncos here on SVTP. If you guys are interested in making some noticeable gains right now, give 5 Star Tuning a call. They have 4 or 5 Broncos as shop vehicles, and have a solid list of mods that really improve the performance drivability of these rigs.

-SID297

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Piggy back "tunes" are nice and cheap but still a step below proper tunes. Too bad they're encrypted on the Raptor Broncos

Good to see Terry getting more universal, came a long way from his N54 days, real nice dude too!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I bet those increases give a nice seat-of-the-pants bump. Awesome.

Did you play around with any e85 maps? Curious how far into 400whp land you would have gotten.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Did you play around with any e85 maps? Curious how far into 400whp land you would have gotten.

We didn't I have to do more testing next week, and I want the results to be comparable. IATs were going through the roof anyway. It was 96 degrees on the dyno.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Piggy back "tunes" are nice and cheap but still a step below proper tunes. Too bad they're encrypted on the Raptor Broncos

Good to see Terry getting more universal, came a long way from his N54 days, real nice dude too!

The nice thing with the BRaptor is the factory tune is much better than the standard Bronco. The trans shifts right and the throttle feels decent. So we had a much better starting point.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
The nice thing with the BRaptor is the factory tune is much better than the standard Bronco. The trans shifts right and the throttle feels decent. So we had a much better starting point.
Sounds like how the ST's should've come, the stock transmission tune is horrible.

Is there a noticeable difference using the anti lag mode (Baja?) vs stock?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Yes! Very true. I had a JB4 piggy back tune on my Mini Cooper S. The simple DIY install provided a nice power jump that was nice, but I had occasional issues. Twice, for example, after a pretty much normal acceleration to 40-50 mph the car went into limp mode and I had to sit for awhile until it finally re-started. I didn't get any real help from Burger, unfortunately. That kind of turned me off to their piggy back tunes. Surely they've perfected these devices, but I still don't really trust piggy back tunes.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member

I'd say deep 400s. The ExST sees 80-100 awhp going from 93 to E85 (420-430 up to 520-540). But it needs an new HPFP to run E85 properly. I'm guessing this BRaptor is the same.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yes! Very true. I had a JB4 piggy back tune on my Mini Cooper S. The simple DIY install provided a nice power jump that was nice, but I had occasional issues. Twice, for example, after a pretty much normal acceleration to 40-50 mph the car went into limp mode and I had to sit for awhile until it finally re-started. I didn't get any real help from Burger, unfortunately. That kind of turned me off to their piggy back tunes. Surely they've perfected these devices, but I still don't really trust piggy back tunes.

That probably had more to do with the peculiarities of the Mini the the JB4.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The stock ST's come with a manual trans only. The bitchbaby reperposed Explorer and Edge sports are NOT ST's. /end rant.
Im with you. Go back to the Sport nomenclature and give us back the real ST twins.

And this is coming from someone who has both a Fiesta ST and an Explorer ST.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I have been dealing with Terry since 2008. Customer service is amazing even after the purchase and install.

My 08 BMW 135i and jb4 tuner has gone to 580 rwhp. Granted this was after David Tauty in Miami rebuilt my engine with the right innerds and suspension mods. I had a 103 octane map.

Just when I had her about where I want my back went south fast.

Attachments

• IMG_20161028_110912336.jpg
    IMG_20161028_110912336.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 147

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have been dealing with Terry since 2008. Customer service is amazing even after the purchase and install.

My 08 BMW 135i and jb4 tuner has gone to 580 rwhp. Granted this was after David Tauty in Miami rebuilt my engine with the right innerds and suspension mods. I had a 103 octane map.

Just when I had her about where I want my back went south fast.

Nice.

q6543

Established Member
Wow that's awesome, plus 1 on E85 tuning... probably make 450/550

Sick that you got this and are pumping out ALL the juicy content!!

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Regarding the JB4, are you running the rev 2 harness from the Explorer Sport? I dont think they sell one for the ST itself and said to use a Rev 2 harness for the ST.

Curious since Braptor and ST are practically the same.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Then the fault still lay with Burger for marketing/selling it. By the way, the entire time I owned the Mini Cooper plus two years, the tuner kit was advertised to be a Beta product. Which tells me that I basically was a beta tester but paid full price for their piggy back tuner. I never received any updates over the three years of ownership. So again, as a result of my own experience with Burger, I'm not a fan.

Users who are viewing this thread