Breather Caps Necessary for 03 Cobras?

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
I just read this thread here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66493

This thread raised a couple questions for me such as;

1.) Do our cars tend to ingest the same amount of oil as was indicated in the thread?
2.) Is it worth going for the breather cap? Do they really eliminate 90% of oil ingestion?
3.) Do we need to regularly clean the intercooler (~15k miles) to remove potential "gunk" which hampers flow and cooling capabilities?
4.) Does a breather cap require a reburn of the perf. chip?

Thanks guys.

-pete:coolman:

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
1) No they don't
2) I didn't use one and I'm ok
3) I have read it has, but many users use it without. When I asked terry from sfpqh is a reburn was required he said it wasn't. :shrug:

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Just put on Breather Cap runs great!

Well I decided to put on a breather cap yesterday after talking with my tuner a while back...So far no pinging, even in this 32F weather...It seems to run a little smoother now in the upper RPMs, whatever that's worth...Best of all no SES light coming on as some have indicated might happen...

-pete:coolman:

mosconiac

Established Member
I wanted to do this for the aesthetics as much as anything else, but decided against it because reports came back that the cranckcase vapor would deposit all over the engine bay (making a slimy mess underhood) and the smell finds its way right into the vehicles interior (STINK).

I decided to let the motor injest the cranckcase discharge like Ford designed even though I hate the idea of clogging up everything in the intake track...I've seen photos of big pools of oily slime inside the intercooler.

Users who are viewing this thread