Breeding a dog and raising puppies

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Love the wolfhounds. My last two were mastiff’s, gotta love those big dogs. Didn’t realize you were from Blanco, I graduated from BHS in ‘96.

Very cool! Blanco is such a nice little town, and we love how small the only school here is :)

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Our Irish Wolfhound was bred on 6/13 and 6/15, and is currently carrying puppies. We had an ultrasound done on her about 2 weeks ago which confirmed pregnancy. She is due for her X-Rays on 8/4, and should being to go into labor sometime between 8/8 - 8/15.

We have never raised baby dogs before, so this is new territory for us.

I plan to build an 8' x 8' x 2' whelping box this weekend, with pig rails around the inside. We have ordered some Velcro collars for the pups to help identify them.

Due to the immense size of these dogs, we were advised to take the first 2 weeks off work and plan to be with them 24/7 to make sure there's no accidental injuries or deaths.

Anyone been through this process before that can offer some advice?

Here's a picture of mom. She's 134 lbs. I'm 6'0" for size reference.

View attachment 1755337
We've always been on the buying end, but I'd offer that you should advertise (to sell) early and take deposits. Take photos often, and with a good camera, and try to get all pups sold immediately after they're weaned. Good luck, next time try breeding giraffes!

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Best of luck. My parents did it with Great Danes when I was a kid. That was enough for me to never want to do it. Oh and I'll be looking forward to the puppy pics when they're born.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Coming soon! X-rays this Friday.

Puppy Annoucment.jpeg

Zemedici

Established Member
Bred huskies when i lived with my mom

I would do some research on the actual birthing process, just so you’re familiar, as habits can vary breed to breed.

Make sure you got dropper handy to suck their airways clean.

First couple of weeks you gotta be hyper alert to any health or skin issues, and make sure momma don’t roll over and squisher them.

You’ll be able to tell when she’s ready to have them, she won’t be able to sit still, pacing around, and her eyes gonna be bulging out of her head.

If you’re squeamish don’t be present, it’s gnarly. Luckily i can turn it off when i need to, so i didn’t have a problem.

Buckle up, it’s work, but man is it rewarding. I would do it all over again if i could. Loved every second of it.

And not sure how your wife is, but if you’re intending to sell them DONT NAME THEM. Mom started naming them and what do ya know she didn’t want to sell them anymore. So their 2 huskies went to 6. Lololol

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Bred huskies when i lived with my mom

I would do some research on the actual birthing process, just so you’re familiar, as habits can vary breed to breed.

Make sure you got dropper handy to suck their airways clean.

First couple of weeks you gotta be hyper alert to any health or skin issues, and make sure momma don’t roll over and squisher them.

You’ll be able to tell when she’s ready to have them, she won’t be able to sit still, pacing around, and her eyes gonna be bulging out of her head.

If you’re squeamish don’t be present, it’s gnarly. Luckily i can turn it off when i need to, so i didn’t have a problem.

Buckle up, it’s work, but man is it rewarding. I would do it all over again if i could. Loved every second of it.

And not sure how your wife is, but if you’re intending to sell them DONT NAME THEM. Mom started naming them and what do ya know she didn’t want to sell them anymore. So their 2 huskies went to 6. Lololol

Someone else advised us about a dropper as well, but I appreciate it. I got a small one from PetCo. Just hope I don't have to use it. I am guessing its just for cleaning out their noses if they have trouble?

I'm not very squeamish, and am actually looking forward to this, aside from the smell and mess.

Apparently she will get really frantic, and want to go outside a lot and start digging. We are supposed to let her birth her first pup outside then bring her and the pup inside and place them in the whelping box.

Due to her size, my wife and I will be taking shifts the first 2 weeks, one of us always being with the mom and pups to prevent any accidents.

I appreciate the input!

Zemedici

Established Member
Someone else advised us about a dropper as well, but I appreciate it. I got a small one from PetCo. Just hope I don't have to use it. I am guessing its just for cleaning out their noses if they have trouble?

I'm not very squeamish, and am actually looking forward to this, aside from the smell and mess.

Apparently she will get really frantic, and want to go outside a lot and start digging. We are supposed to let her birth her first pup outside then bring her and the pup inside and place them in the whelping box.

Due to her size, my wife and I will be taking shifts the first 2 weeks, one of us always being with the mom and pups to prevent any accidents.

I appreciate the input!

Yes their nose / mouths can get clogged with mucus, amniotic fluid, and can choke them.

Worst part is the mom dog gobbling up the sack….nothing braces you for it lolol just wild to see

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
This is gonna sound dumb but THIS WORKS.....

for potty training as they get older like at 2-3 weeks, use Cedar Chips in a low rise Rubbermaid container. (We use a bale from like Lowes)

After 8 weeks, and once they start getting adapted out accidents will happen. Encourage your new owners to use the cedar chips (but you have to start them when they are with you).

<this part is mostly new owners here>
Once they start roaming the house, place cedar chip container by back door.

When they get crated at night, get a large enough crate to accommodate the cedar chips and the puppy.

Puppies don't like rain and thunder, no worries, cedar chips by back door

Than you start with cedar chips outside at whatever point and that becomes their "go to"

Our 2 boxers never EVER had piss pads growing up. What you decide to do early on, will have you many thank you's from the dogs new "forever home owner"

#2...if you have the means to introduce a doggy door do that.

When we got our 2 boxers, they were already in tune with cedar chips, and the function of a doggy door at 8 weeks. But, accidents still happened.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I had no idea they had ultrasounds for dogs lol. I guess when theres $$ dogs involved. Congrats on the pups. We recently adopted a pug puppy and then a great dane (already huge!)

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Pups arrived yesterday!

Keira went into labor around 10 PM Wednesday night, and finished around 2:30 PM Thursday, so about 16 hours of labor.

The first pup came out normal, 2nd pup took almost 4 hours, then we had to go to the ER vet. The 3rd pup was sideway in her birth canal and wasn't coming out so they manually had to retrieve it. 4th and 5th pups arrived after being induced. It was a very emotional day, but turned out well.

All the pups are healthy with no issues. They ranged in weight from 1.2 lbs to 1.6 lbs.

The ER Vet center we went to in San Antonio was simply amazing. They worked on Keira for 6 hours, as though she was their own dog. Best crew I have ever met!

Here's the 5 pups. We got 4 females, and 1 male.

Keira with pups.jpg

Pups 2.jpg

Pups 1.jpg

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Lookhow smooth their coats are. Look like a different breed lol. Im surprised the litter is small. Our tiny pug had puppies twice and she had like 7 pups.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Mr Bill

Established Member
Congratulations hope everything goes well for y’all , we have a French bulldog my wife wants to breed she 2 1/2 I will check back and see how it was for y’all

FJohnny

Established Member
Our golden had 10 pups. It was definitely busy. What we learned:

- don't be so busy you miss the fun. Take moments to watch and enjoy.
- they grow fast. Take pics and short videos and start right away. You'll be glad you did.
- not sure how your vets are there but here it's just a money grab. Instead of vet vacinating (around $50 per) and inspecting (mandatory at an extra $100+ per) we went to the local animal pharmacy and vaccinated them ourselves (about $12 per).
- If the pups are healthy you will know it. Monitor weight gain to know they are thriving.

Have fun with them.

Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread