Broke half shaft! Need opinions on what to buy so this don't happen again!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
If you are gonna borrow $2500.00

the FTBR kit will run $798 + FRRP Diff Cover (300.00) and Delrin Isolated Rear Differential Lowering Mount($159.00) sway bar end links (55.00) = $1300.00 that's really gonna take care of most, if not all of your wheel hop. Than source a halfshaft.

My car, as most others, responded very well after doing this and adding R888's.

Of course there are other options to, solid axle etc etc ...

03slaminator

Established Member
AIRASSAULT13f40, Isn't the derlin rear mount included in the ftbr 795 dollar kit? I also have a guy sending me a rear diff brace. I know I can't use it with the frrp cover. But can the brace be used with the Derlin rear mount?

I pulled the whole IRS out last night. I was very suprised how easy it actually was!! I still need to pull the diff. And open it up to check it.

Oh yeah, every single bushing in the Irs is trash. The ones that bolt the irs to the body of the car don't look bad. But everything else was. And my driver shock is toast. Lol

Last edited:

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I broke one on the 1-2 shift with a wot box as well. That was on street tires. It hopped just enough to let go. I also broke one launching on a 28" Dr at the track.

Just put a factory replacement in and as many bushings changed out as you can afford starting with diff. I had solid bushings at the diff when I broke both of mine.

I snapped my passenger side axle a few years back at a well prepped track with 295-35-18 BFG KDWs street tires on the 1-2 shift as well.

The FT1350M kit consist of the Ford racing milled diff cover and comes with the Delrin bushing, Iam not sure you can use the IRS brace with the milled diff?

i have the FT5001 bushing kit and the FT1350 diff kit, DSS level V axles the car feels much better, but i will say it is not wheel hop proof. I still get wheel Hop on ocassions, it really depends on the tire size and type you use.
I took my car out to the track a few months ago on 26in tall Mt/ET streets inflated 18psi and my car Hopped on 1-2 shift? didnt get to lower the pressure and run again but it had me worried. i notice that guys running tall 28in tires are having the best success against wheel hop.
Either way its going to be a bit pricey to repair, i should've done my rear end while it was out too i here some howling going on now :fm: GLW the repairs.

03slaminator

Established Member
My wheel and tire combo is 18x10.5 Afs reps with 305/35-18 nitto 555R's. I checked my springs last night and they are H&R lowering springs. They are black so Im pretty sure they are the sports. Not the race springs.

Has anyone ever tried a half shaft from orielys? They are 119 Bux plus shipping. Which is 22 dollars. Lifetime warranty. Should I try it or just dish out 390 for a new oem one?

I think I'm gonna buy some qa1 adjustable rear shocks. Ftbr IRS bushing kit. MM full length subframe connectors. BF diff brace. If I don't end up getting the brace then I'll buy the frrp diff cover.

03slaminator

Established Member
Don't do the orielys, they will send you an axle from an sra, ask me how I know.

Well my buddy works there and he definatly knows the difference between a half shaft and an axle. But they said it was a special order. So do you think it could be a half shaft and if it is then do you think it would be 31 spline and not 28?

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Ask your buddy for the part number and put it in google and see what comes up. I had went into their computer system myself to order the part and it was labeled in a way that it sounded like a half shaft, it was not.

03slaminator

Established Member
Ask your buddy for the part number and put it in google and see what comes up. I had went into their computer system myself to order the part and it was labeled in a way that it sounded like a half shaft, it was not.

Ok I will do that. I couldn't imagine a half shaft being 119.00 and with lifetime warranty. But that would be nice. Hopefully it's the correct part number. Lol

03slaminator

Established Member
Ok guys. I got all my parts in the other day. Here's a list,

Full tilt boogie bushing kit with Delrin rear diff mount.
Ford Racing diff cover milled to use ftbr diff mount.
Maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors.
Qa1 adjustable rear shocks.
2 used half shafts from CL for 300 for the pair.
2 new factory toe link ends.
2 quarts Royal purple 75w90 gear oil.
1 bottle Friction modifier.
New fuel filter.

I also finally bought a 2 piece wiper cowl from autoandart off of Amazon. I paid 58 Bux for it and let me say, wow for that price, what a good deal!! If anyone needs one I would suggest it to anyone.

Last night I got my diff pulled apart to find my pinion gear to have a huge chunk missing from it and on almost all the fins on the gear were also cracked.. So now I'm gonna have to order some gears. Is the part number to the irs gear install kit m-4210-b2? American muscle told me they don't sell it anymore that I would have to order from someone else. So then I called them back for them to tell me it won't work for my car. I jumped on the net and looked for the kit for a min. Then ran across it on American muscle. So I called them back again,! This time the guy I talked to really didn't seem all that sure about what he was selling. So I just told him I wanted to hold off until I figure out the gear I wanna go with.

I'm thinking about going 373's. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
I am pretty sure the bearing and shims are all the same, it's just you won't use the gasket for the rear cover and there is a kit that is irs specific that comes with the outer bearing and seals for the half shafts.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
There is no 100% solution for wheel hop that involves street tires. Strangely enough my car only does it when the streets are cold (< 70). In the summer on hot streets, I can spin first and second and it's smooth, no hop. This time of year, I instantly get severe hop and have to get out of it.

Edit - just saw your parts list. If it were me I would probably try 3.73's, it's not going to be a huge difference.

Last edited:

floodstang

Established Member
I would go with 3.55 gears. I have 3.73 in my Cobra and I need to shit into fourth at the track. It kind of kills the momentum. Mine puts down about 500 rwp and goes through the traps at about 120 mph. This is on street tires 295/35/18.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
isnt the whole idea to be in 4th gear crossing through the traps at redline? my 450hp with 4.10s that is the case at 120mph on 26 inch tires

i think 3.73s is the best all around gear for the street, esp at the op's power level

03slaminator

Established Member
Well I haven't ordered gears yet... Im still unsure on bearings and shims and all that so I held off. I definitely wanna order them Monday morning so I can get my car done asap.

So more info on install kit and gear ratio would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!

03slaminator

Established Member
Ok guys, I went ahead and ordered the install kit and ford racing 373 gears. I hope the 373's was the right decision. Does anyone have a write up on how to rebuild the diff? I'll be doing this myself along with a friend that has done his own gear install. He is sra and I'm irs. A how to would be a huge help. Thanks again guys!!

Maxspeed04svt

Established Member
I love my n2mb wot box but I'm worried about what it's going to do at the track.

Good choice on the 3.73s

03slaminator

Established Member
I love my n2mb wot box but I'm worried about what it's going to do at the track.

Good choice on the 3.73s

Ya I'm curious on how it's gonna do at the track to. Hopefully I'll be able to get my car done and go to the track before the season ends. But I'm not sure if I'll make the deadline or not. Lol

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
Ok guys, I went ahead and ordered the install kit and ford racing 373 gears. I hope the 373's was the right decision. Does anyone have a write up on how to rebuild the diff? I'll be doing this myself along with a friend that has done his own gear install. He is sra and I'm irs. A how to would be a huge help. Thanks again guys!!

FTBR has lots of videos for their bushing install. If you can, take lots of pics. I think this would make for a great how-to thread for a copmplete IRS rebuild with FTBR bushings. I am hoping to be doing this same thing to my IRS sometime next year, and I'm going to try to tackle it myself. Sub'd!

Users who are viewing this thread