broken/missing motor mount bolts

Cobra of 1999

Established Member
Ok so I thought for the longest that my driver side mount was broken. I got under it while doing some routine maintenence, and saw that there were no motor mount bolts from the mount to the block.. after looking around I saw that two of the bolts were just missing as if someone previously didn't reinstall them. Then I saw a wire hanging from the area of the engine ground.. the stud was broken.. so what I'm wondering, is Now I have three new motor mount bolts out of another car. Can I get away with just using two? I don't really beat on my car too much, and Ive also had no mount bolts in it for the two years that I've had it. Just want some opinions. Thanks. I will hook the engine ground up to one of the new studs that I have.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
Funny, I had the same thing on the Driver side, one bolt was missing. It turned out to be broken in the block. I tried to get it moving but the threads where probably cut.

The thing is that I have beaten the car quite a bit, it hasn't caused any problems. Now I am upgrading the engine and I've drilled out the bolt and threaded the hole, so I am missing two bolts (one stud bolt on the other side broke also, but only the stud part) so I'd suggest you can send me those bolts ;)

Bottomline from my point of view, it will hold together with two bolts. Mine apparently did.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Common problem. At 13K miles my driver side bolts were loose and falling out. Caught them before they were missing or damaged.

Cobra of 1999

Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys.. It doesn't look to bad to get to it, so Im probably gonna take the oil filter adapter off (which needs a gasket replacing anyway) and drill a small hole in the bolt and try to use an easy out to extract it.. either that or just put both the other bolts I came across from another car in it and roll with it like that.. not sure yet though

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Be VERY careful with an EZOut; they are hardened steel. If they break, you are truly screwed. My suggestion is to drill out the old bolt using larger and larger drills. Then, retap and maybe use a helicoil. If the EZOut breaks, you cannot drill out the hardened steel residue - ask me how I know!!

Good luck.

shurur

Established Member
be very careful with an ezout; they are hardened steel. If they break, you are truly screwed. My suggestion is to drill out the old bolt using larger and larger drills. Then, retap and maybe use a helicoil. If the ezout breaks, you cannot drill out the hardened steel residue - ask me how i know!!

Good luck.

++1

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Here's the best way out, search the net and find some LEFT hand drill bits in the appropriate sizes, start small and when you approach the correct size, what's left of the bolt will spin right out for you. You have to start the first one straight though! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread