Broken rear axle

basspro302

Established Member
Well out of everything I thought would break on my car I figured the 8.8 would hold up.

I was getting on it on the highway shifted into 4th pretty hard then i heard a loud bang i immediately pushed in the clutch looking for the oil pressure light and a cloud of smoke but nothing happened pulled off the side. Everything looks fine engine running great all my gears in my transmission still work. Soi decide to drive it to my shop.

The only noise is on decel sounds like a warped rotor scraping on a backing plate. Get it up on the hoist listen to the noise with the car in gear definitely in the rear axle. Pull the diff cover the gears and differential look great nothing abnormal or loose. So im not sure what broke in the rear. The noise on decel usually means a pinion issue.

Long story short i have a used rear axle on the way 500$ so im gonna slam it in.

Mods are p1sc and mach 500 clutch.
The drive line is stock, stock 3.31 stock drive shaft. Ill report back if i get the time to rip it open and see what went wrong. Other wise if anyone in Michigan needs a donor rear axle i have one lol.

SVOGT302

Established Member
Premium Member
So, you're replacing the entire rear end assembly?

basspro302

Established Member
Yes it less time consuming and finding a low mileage rear end is cheap and easy.

Its A daily driver so i need it back on and the road quick.

basspro302

Established Member
Well got my axle in from the jyard looks like the previous owner installed 4:10s and a truetrac. Debating ordering a tremec lol 4:10s are way to much for a procharged mt82.

Users who are viewing this thread