budget vortech build?

jakesspv6

Established Member
Hey I was just wondering if I can get some guidance and advice on what to get for the vortech I have started piecing together. I've seen the thread on mustang forums about the budget vortech build and was wondering if anyone here has went that route with an intercooler? what all would you recommend me on getting and upgrading from the get go so I won't run into any bumps in the future?

cbrown9064

Established Member
I am doing a build right now with a Novi 2000. You can save money buying used and piecing things together, versus a " kit". For me, I am using a Paxton intercooler.

A couple points I think are relevant are use bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump, along with a blow through MAF, and get the car tuned for it. Versus using those devices that overdrive small injectors. You never want to go lean. Also don't be afraid to do your own intake and discharge tubing. You can buy tubing and couplers in various sizes and bends and fab it up yourself. More custom and you can add the amount of bungs you need, versus plugging off unneeded ones.

Most of all, be patient in looking for parts. They will come along. Both here and Corral have active classifieds....

I kept looking and found a member here that had a lot of what I needed. Found a used head unit on eBay and buying some parts new. When it is all done, it will be exactly the way I want it, versus what someone else thought was a good idea.

Last edited:

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I have seen complete, lightly used vortech kits on here that I would buy if I did not already have a vortech. Much cheaper than new and some are nearly 100% complete. You might save money piecing it together but it will take some time

LDC2335

Established Member
I just recently finished a intercooled vortech build. What's your questions/concerns?

Here's what I have learned through buying a used kit.

I was all excited about getting a complete kit, with injectors and the vortech chip and everything. We'll the vortech chip was tuned for stock injectors. So immediately that was useless and required a dyno tune. I could have got a cheaper kit had I researched more and been told that even though all these parts were included with this complete kit, they wouldn't work together. Bottom line, here is what I ended up with.

-Vortech V1 s-trim

-3.4 pulley, I'd go to a 3.33 or 3.25 if your going intercooled.

- Vortech maxflow blow off valve

-sct BA5000 slot style maf

-procharger 3 core intercooler

-cxracing universal intercooler pipe kit

-slot style maf housing and wire harness converter

-Ford racing 42 lbs ev6 injectors with plug adapters

-Walbro 255 fuel pump

-Spool of vacuum hose and various t fittings

- couple extra 90 degree couplers and one 45 degree coupler

If you go blow thru like me, you don't need the air filter fender bracket, the vortech chip, the vortech boost a pump crap, or the vortech fmu.

All you really need from the actual vortech kit is the head unit, main bracket, bolts, oil lines, and the main pipe that goes to the throttle body. Get the metal one so you can tap it with the screw in style iat sensor.

Hope this helps. I'm here for questions.

If you stay with a draw thru maf, I have a lightning maf and the fender bracket for sale.

Last edited:

F8L BYT

Established Member
I'll be putting my entire kit up shortly but I will not be parting it out. it will have the aftercooled v2 kit, injectors, maf, everything. I'm switching to turbo

jakesspv6

Established Member
I just recently finished a intercooled vortech build. What's your questions/concerns?

Here's what I have learned through buying a used kit.

I was all excited about getting a complete kit, with injectors and the vortech chip and everything. We'll the vortech chip was tuned for stock injectors. So immediately that was useless and required a dyno tune. I could have got a cheaper kit had I researched more and been told that even though all these parts were included with this complete kit, they wouldn't work together. Bottom line, here is what I ended up with.

-Vortech V1 s-trim

-3.4 pulley, I'd go to a 3.33 or 3.25 if your going intercooled.

- Vortech maxflow blow off valve

-sct BA5000 slot style maf

-procharger 3 core intercooler

-cxracing universal intercooler pipe kit

-slot style maf housing and wire harness converter

-Ford racing 42 lbs ev6 injectors with plug adapters

-Walbro 255 fuel pump

-Spool of vacuum hose and various t fittings

- couple extra 90 degree couplers and one 45 degree coupler

If you go blow thru like me, you don't need the air filter fender bracket, the vortech chip, the vortech boost a pump crap, or the vortech fmu.

All you really need from the actual vortech kit is the head unit, main bracket, bolts, oil lines, and the main pipe that goes to the throttle body. Get the metal one so you can tap it with the screw in style iat sensor.

Hope this helps. I'm here for questions.

If you stay with a draw thru maf, I have a lightning maf and the fender bracket for sale.

I may be interested in the lighting MAF.
What fuel setup would you recommend if I am waiting to obtain around 550 rwhp give or take? how much boost are you running and how much hp did you make?
I am thinking of going t-trim just incase I ever want to up the boost but would anyone recommend the v1 or v2 blower? I am just a little curious on how loud the v1 is.

Users who are viewing this thread