Build Stock 4.6 or Get a New Crate Engine?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Not to change things up on you but a centrifugal would actually be better suited for your automatic than a PD blower. The roots style blowers create lots of torque down low yes, but all that torque hitting at once isn't easy on an automatic trans. A centri would do great because of the quickness of shifting you'd never lose any boost because you never let off.

teufel GT

Established Member
Not to change things up on you but a centrifugal would actually be better suited for your automatic than a PD blower. The roots style blowers create lots of torque down low yes, but all that torque hitting at once isn't easy on an automatic trans. A centri would do great because of the quickness of shifting you'd never lose any boost because you never let off.

Correct. If you plan on rocking the auto, I suggest the centrig as well because of the more "gradual" power. Root and twin screw will deliver that peak torq more aggressively therefore putting lots of strain on the drivetrain..

But if you are going to be buildin it, it really don't matter. Users preference I suppose? Some stand by there centrigs with a passion, others love their positive displaced. Both have there ups and downs. I personally love the sound and down low torq of my roots.

phoenixx

youjustgotpassedbyagirl
Established Member
The roots does have an awesome sound. I found an amazing shop today. This guy specializes in Fords and Mustangs. The owner has two Mustangs of his own (one being a '99 GT with 700 horsepower :uh oh:). Anyway, he said when I bring the car up to have it checked out, we will go ahead and make out a "build sheet." I'm curious what his thoughts are going to be.

:dancenana:

If anyone is in the southeast region, check this shop out. Twisted Fusion Motorsports

02blownGT

Established Member
Buy a crate motor unless you plan on building it yourself labor can be a mother.As far as the auto goes do yourself a favor get a 10:1 motor,base model centri unit, 3k stall,trans cooler and valvebody of choice.Dont forget the car will still feel somewhat slugish with the auto untill you put gears(4.10 or 4.30 depending on the tire size you plan to run).We can get into heads and cams but thats a whole other discussion.If you have any specific questions PM me.Trust me i been through all this stuff.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Jmod, stall and a reprogramming for that auto and it will be a decent street/strip power train.

Users who are viewing this thread