Building Short block -Need Opinions

sdoo500

Established Member
So my factory motor after years of abuse has finally developed some rod knock that is apparent once car is warm.

Planning on putting car away and not driving it as to not do any more damage. I am looking into RGR built shortblock listed on JPC's website. What else would you guys suggest if i am looking to make ~800whp? Is this short block a decent choice? Never built a motor before so sorry for the rookie questions. Rods/pistons that come with this should hold the power level I desire from what I am reading.

I know some will say 2015 short block and switch everything over and it'll hold 800 for a while, but I would rather overbuild motor a little bit and be safe. As of now, I am looking to go with JPC's single turbo kit down the road so I like the RGR/JPC relationship.

Also, potentially a really stupid question but figured I would ask. Would I be doing any sort of damage if I installed built short block (factory compression I'm thinking) possibly this winter and built trans, rear end and wait until the following year to add some sort of induction? Wouldn't race it until I had the turbo the following year but would like to not have the car sit for an entire year and can't spend ~20k all at once.

Appreciate the help! At this point I would have to imagine my stock motor isn't too badly damaged if that counts for anything.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
A RGR/JPC short block would be a good choice. Depending what options you choose you could have a block good for well over 1000 hp. If you're not going to make more than 800hp, an aluminator short block would be another choice. Those are the two options i am debating between when i can afford to get my motor built. Also stick with the stock compression ratio cuz if you go low compression you will have to throw more boost at your motor to make the same amount of power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Definitely don't drive it anymore. I spun a bearing in my 13 and all of the bearing debris scored the cam journals and ruined them. Everything was toast block, crank and heads. Also check out MPR for a short block and yes do the 11:1 stock compression. This way you can drive it until you can get boost.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Wouldn't hurt anything to upgrade and run N/A before boost. I would make sure you upgrade the wrist pins to be 1,000 RWHP capable, just in case you decide to turn it up some more.

Users who are viewing this thread