Built motor quick questions

heypal

What? Where am I?
Established Member
So I was throwing the idea around with a friend about a built lightning motor in my 69 mustang so I was just wondering if you guys could help steer me in the correct direction.

1. Rods yes new better rods who do you guys like and why, I see manley on a lot of builds.
2. Do you need to replace the pistons I mean they are good stock why spend the extra money if this will be just fine re-ringed I'm not saying be cheap but if they will do for a 600-700whp build no reason to spend the extra. thoughts?
3. 4v heads worth it with nice set of cams or just port the hell out of the stocks?

I've looked at alot of threads and kinda took ideas from it but know just want answers to see if I'm going down the right path you know learn from mistakes and profit :beer:. Anyways thanks all look forward to the answers.

Oh and I'm not trying to build the biggest baddest motor but something reliable would be just fine. Cheap fast reliable I'll take the last 2 plz lol

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
If you plan to run 600 plus HP then plan to go all out. H beam rods will suffice and set it up to run 9.0:1 CR. The nod goes to 4v heads for use in a car where you won't need the torque 2v heads are known for. IF you don't go full bore on the short block spend your money on heads/cams, that's where your power comes from.

heypal

What? Where am I?
Established Member
awesome thank you both very much really appreciate the advice. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread