Built SRA or Upgrade IRS

SlowSVT

Established Member
is there a way to get under the car and look at each bushing and be able to tell if it is an upgraded bushing or not, color/softness/shape? i am under the impression the previous owner did install a bushing upgrade, but who knows which ones? is there an easy way of telling? i will put the car on stands and take a look before ripping it out with frustration of the irs

but as i sit right now i am under the impression this car does have some "delrin bushing kit" which i was told it had and still the car clunks bad... something up for sure!

however on a side note i do not have hopping issues... im wondering if my differential bushing are factory still and not the aluminum ones..

Look at the joint between the A-arm and the mounting tab where the shoulder of the bushing is exposed. Delrin is hard plastic and useally white in color. Rubber will be ........well "rubber" where its soft enough to stick a finger nail into.

Quasar Z

Established Member
You made quite a few generalized statements with a few that are either somewhat misleading or flat out wrong. This statement below is what prompted me to respond.

There are so many holes in this statement I could drive a truck thru it! The message you were conveying was you solved your wheel hop problem with an SRA and now life is good. The truth is solid axles can hop just as bad as an IRS and there are scores of IRS equipped Cobra that can solidly plant the rear wheels.

You are certainly entitled to express your opinion and you do make a few valid points. But for some Cobra noob who is not mechanically inclined or not familiar with this car may buy into your story and do something in an attempt to solve one problem while creating a host of others. My remarks were actually directed at those people to jolt their thinking and not do something rash.

This topic will always be the subject of debate as long people skew the facts or post misconception on the merits of this swap without presenting a balanced perspective. In a Cobra there are very few instances that actually justify ditching the IRS for an SRA. Ford did not go thru all that expense and logistic of equipping the car with one for no reason.

Good debate for the up and coming Cobra modder none the less. Hopefully there is one less street driven SRA Cobra in this world as a result.

Russ

Hey Russ, did you also miss where I posted a link to the FTBR website prior to the debate starting? I made zero statements that were misleading or wrong...I expressed MY opinion in a non-confrontational way based on my experience.

And holes in what statement? That my wheel hop problem was solved with the SRA? I have bad news for you..it was solved! The car is 10X more fun to drive now and keep in mind we are taking about a car that had a modded IRS. One thing that continually gets neglected here is that I have a convertible which is going to be more prone to wheel hop than a coupe. And just in case you think there are holes the my statements about Cobra's not being suited for road racing, why are there so many modifications needed to race the car? Anything can be modified for any type of motorsport. Stop acting like I called your mother ugly, I just have a different opinion then you about the strengths and weaknesses of our cars and I am not misleading anyone. And all the talk about Ford designed this and that, I am assuming that you have not modified your car. If you have, you have removed Ford/SVT designed products and replaced them with parts that were not engineered to be on there. Your all-stock Cobra must be different than most of ours on here, as most of them are modified with non Ford/SVT engineered products to improve their performance.

It is just exhausting to always watch these threads degenerate into name calling and arguing. Why people are so worried about what others do with their cars is beyond me:burn:

Last edited:

Quasar Z

Established Member
do it... never look back, it added incredible rigidity to the chassis.... i can jack up the whole rear of the car with the jack on only 1 side, and still open and close the car doors.. thats amazing.
I also have a Kenny Brown matrix brace sitting in my garage waiting for install, i plan on welding it to the SFC's, and 4 pts of the cage.

I like my polished exhuast too much to go SRA

I agree, I had a polished exhaust as well and liked the looks of it. I have a full cage in my LX coupe and it is not conducive to putting the kids in there. With all of the bad drivers in Arizona, all it takes is one minor accident to send one of my kid's heads into the bar. My car is a cruiser for the family so I am going to pass on the roll bar. Sounds like it really worked well on your car though.

MAD SVT

The guy with the Thing.
Established Member
is there a way to get under the car and look at each bushing and be able to tell if it is an upgraded bushing or not, color/softness/shape? i am under the impression the previous owner did install a bushing upgrade, but who knows which ones? is there an easy way of telling? i will put the car on stands and take a look before ripping it out with frustration of the irs

but as i sit right now i am under the impression this car does have some "delrin bushing kit" which i was told it had and still the car clunks bad... something up for sure!

however on a side note i do not have hopping issues... im wondering if my differential bushing are factory still and not the aluminum ones..

look at where the diff bolts in, theres a couple bushings there, stock are black i believe, and rubber.
My Poly bushings are Red and alot harder than rubber, not as hard as delrin which is generally white as mentioned above.
If its aluminum, its generally a rougher ride because the road vibration is not dampened whatsoever. those should be easy to spot because.... well.... their aluminum.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
ok so.....

i just spent an hour reading all of the previous owners posts, jking32

in his posts i found that he did install bruces entire kit, Including the upgraded 14mm bolts ... so the complete kit is installed.

in one of his posts he states how even after the entire kit was installed he still has clunking noises... a responce from you Bruce states for him to put his car in gear and rock it back and forth to see the play in the irs/diff

i did this, the cars moves quite a bit before locking up in each direction.. why is this? can this be fixed? i mean can the amount of slack be removed or lessened?

ugh! i want to keep an irs but this is just rediculous:bash:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ok so.....

i just spent an hour reading all of the previous owners posts, jking32

in his posts i found that he did install bruces entire kit, Including the upgraded 14mm bolts ... so the complete kit is installed.

in one of his posts he states how even after the entire kit was installed he still has clunking noises... a responce from you Bruce states for him to put his car in gear and rock it back and forth to see the play in the irs/diff

i did this, the cars moves quite a bit before locking up in each direction.. why is this? can this be fixed? i mean can the amount of slack be removed or lessened?

ugh! i want to keep an irs but this is just rediculous:bash:

Well unfortunately the entire Terminator driveline can accumulate quite a large amount of backlash. It starts in the T-56, plus the output spline for the driveshaft, two u-joints, then add the differential innards (including the ring, pinion and side/spider gears, which in many cases is a lot) then the halfshaft splines, TWO CV joints on EACH of the halfshafts, and the knuckle/hub spline. Just with a normal car with say 60k or 70k miles on it will add up to quite a noisy chain of events. Even with 9/16" bolts and new diff mounts.

The differentials can be corrected by replacing the posi unit and resetting the ring gear backlash.

But a VAST majority of "Cobra Clunking" is from worn out OEM differential mounts (that really weren't any good even when they were new) and movement in the front 12mm undersized factory installed front subframe bolts.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce, do you have ANY clunking noises when driving? in 4th gear at 40-50 mph do you tap the gas hard and hear this clunk in the rear or has your mods you advertise fix this? .. i will not be happy if i read more into understanding and building the IRS up and hear this crap still ... the last thing i want to hear again is a buddy riding shotgun ask me "whats that noise? is your exhaust dragging?"

i have yet to read your link, but i will before i do any deciding and jump the gun, i want this sound gone! simply put... it is loud and i feel like the thing is going to fall apart and that just drives me crazy

i was told by the previous owner that the irs has a delrin bushing kit installed? i dont know exactly what that pertains to but thats all i know of, also i do believe from reading his posts by searching his username that he did replace the bolts with 14mm ones .. but i could check if i knew what bolts to look for:shrug:

In your sig you state for suspension mods: Complete IRS bushing kit

I'm wondering if you can tell me exactly what that is.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
In your sig you state for suspension mods: Complete IRS bushing kit

I'm wondering if you can tell me exactly what that is.

well as far as i understand by reading his posts, i am assuming its the entire kit you sell along with the aluminum front diff bushings and upgraded bolts for the subframe, i cant confirm this for sure tho as i didnt do the work:shrug:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
well as far as i understand by reading his posts, i am assuming its the entire kit you sell along with the aluminum front diff bushings and upgraded bolts for the subframe, i cant confirm this for sure tho as i didnt do the work:shrug:

A lot of those parts are visible if you get under the car and inspect. The alum diff bushings should be easy to see, and the LCA Delrin bushings. Check to see if upper control arms had grease fittings installed too... as Bruce sells and suggests them with his kit.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
...And just in case you think there are holes the my statements about Cobra's not being suited for road racing, why are there so many modifications needed to race the car? Anything can be modified for any type of motorsport. Stop acting like I called your mother ugly, I just have a different opinion then you about the strengths and weaknesses of our cars and I am not misleading anyone. And all the talk about Ford designed this and that, I am assuming that you have not modified your car. If you have, you have removed Ford/SVT designed products and replaced them with parts that were not engineered to be on there. Your all-stock Cobra must be different than most of ours on here, as most of them are modified with non Ford/SVT engineered products to improve their performance.

Now, this is where you're dead wrong.

I may not "race" my Cobra, but I do open track it at high performance driving events a few times a year. It performs fantastically - stock springs, stock struts, stock shocks, stock bushings, stock PBR calipers, street tires, stock pulley, back seats, stereo, a/c, etc.

A car is a system. Change just one thing and YOU have compromised the balance. Point the finger all you want, but if your Terminator didn't perform in a specific environment, it was YOUR fault. The term supporting mods comes to mind. Unfortunately, or fortunately, SVT and Ford squeezed darn near every last ounce of performance from each system - suspension, powertrain, NVH, etc. You can quickly overwhelm the next with even the slightest change. I'm sorry your power hungy mods overwhelmed your IRS and you threw in the towel, but this car was MADE to tackle curves. No question.

Now, if your car is more fun because you made it one dimensional, I'm happy for you. :beer:

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
i already ruined my car by putting and F1 procharger on it so **** it i might as well go with the solid axle now...

Quasar Z

Established Member
Now, this is where you're dead wrong.

I may not "race" my Cobra, but I do open track it at high performance driving events a few times a year. It performs fantastically - stock springs, stock struts, stock shocks, stock bushings, stock PBR calipers, street tires, stock pulley, back seats, stereo, a/c, etc.

A car is a system. Change just one thing and YOU have compromised the balance. Point the finger all you want, but if your Terminator didn't perform in a specific environment, it was YOUR fault. The term supporting mods comes to mind. Unfortunately, or fortunately, SVT and Ford squeezed darn near every last ounce of performance from each system - suspension, powertrain, NVH, etc. You can quickly overwhelm the next with even the slightest change. I'm sorry your power hungy mods overwhelmed your IRS and you threw in the towel, but this car was MADE to tackle curves. No question.

Now, if your car is more fun because you made it one dimensional, I'm happy for you. :beer:

Sorry I am power hungry and you are not:lol: For the last time, I have not pointed any fingers or, in your words, done something that I would consider my "fault" regarding the performance of my car...I like it just the way it is, thank you. My opinion is that I would not take this particular car if I were going to road race it, especially if I were going to leave it stock. A bone stock C5 Z06 is way more capable and fun. I would look for a car that was very light, rwd and preferably a two-seater as opposed to a relatively heavy car with an iron block and a heat-producing supercharger. I am glad that you enjoy your car the way you like to...I have not judged one single person for doing that nor would I judge you for having fun with your stock Cobra. You have obviously missed the point here regarding the limitations of the IRS vs. my reasons (as well as many others) for "upgrading" to a SRA. With that said, I would still keep an IRS if I had a hardtop car and could get it to hook up without it hopping or breaking halfshafts.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
You have obviously missed the point here regarding the limitations of the IRS vs. my reasons (as well as many others) for "upgrading" to a SRA.

This statement is why you keep getting guys to post up in defense of the IRS. The IRS "limitations" you speak of are no comarison to how a properly set up IRS will perform. Even a stock stick axle needs help, but I don't see you saying it has limitations. There are PLENTY of big power IRS cars on this site who still have IRS.. and can tear up the drag strip, road course, and street. I still think your wheel hop issue could have been cured. But, you chose to swap in a solid axle instead. But, as you have said... if YOU are happy with it... who cares. :rolling:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Sorry I am power hungry and you are not:lol: For the last time, I have not pointed any fingers or, in your words, done something that I would consider my "fault" regarding the performance of my car...I like it just the way it is, thank you. My opinion is that I would not take this particular car if I were going to road race it, especially if I were going to leave it stock. A bone stock C5 Z06 is way more capable and fun. I would look for a car that was very light, rwd and preferably a two-seater as opposed to a relatively heavy car with an iron block and a heat-producing supercharger. I am glad that you enjoy your car the way you like to...I have not judged one single person for doing that nor would I judge you for having fun with your stock Cobra. You have obviously missed the point here regarding the limitations of the IRS vs. my reasons (as well as many others) for "upgrading" to a SRA. With that said, I would still keep an IRS if I had a hardtop car and could get it to hook up without it hopping or breaking halfshafts.

Take a Z06 to a road course and pass every Mustang there you will have achieved nothing. :bored:

OTOH, take a Mustang to a road course and pass every single Corvette including all of the Z06's and you will have actually achieved something! ;-)

SlowSVT

Established Member
Take a Z06 to a road course and pass every Mustang there you will have achieved nothing. :bored:

OTOH, take a Mustang to a road course and pass every single Corvette including all of the Z06's and you will have actually achieved something! ;-)

word!

Users who are viewing this thread