Bump Steer question

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
I did a lot of work on the car lately. New clutch, 26 spline, thermostat, and FTBR Bump Steer kit.

I doubt the clutch and stuff is related but the problem I'm having is when I got the car back together and drove it. It feels way loose in the rear end. 60mph I felt like I was on ice. So I'm assuming I have my bump steer adjusted wrong. Would a standard alignment shop be able to adjust this or does it require anything special?

BTW the 170 thermostat keeps this thing cool. It was 45 degrees out today and cruising the car barely got over 170. Had to let it idle for a while before it got over 190.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Its probably the toe setting on the rear. The bump steer would mostly be known when hitting bumps. I put the FTBR kit on mine at whatever settings they recommended and never had an issue. Toe on the other hand caused all kinds of weird problems.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Just getting an alignment versus correcting bump steer are two different things. You may just have worn out parts, which makes an upgrade to heim joints a good idea, then making bump steer corrections.

Lots of info for you here: Chassis & Steering

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
Just getting an alignment versus correcting bump steer are two different things. You may just have worn out parts, which makes an upgrade to heim joints a good idea, then making bump steer corrections.

Lots of info for you here: Chassis & Steering

Thanks but I've read that as well as watching the FTBR videos on this. To be honest I don't understand it at all. The only reason I put the in was because I had a bad tie rod in the back so figured I might as well replace them with FTBR ones since I have everything else FTBR. Car was perfectly fine before I did that. I guess if an alignment doesn't fix it then I'll take them out and put stock tie rods back in it.

keith89

Established Member
stock rods would be a step backwards. If you haven't had it aligned,that's most likely it. Another culprit would be loose rear axle nuts. They should be 250ft/lb

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
stock rods would be a step backwards. If you haven't had it aligned,that's most likely it. Another culprit would be loose rear axle nuts. They should be 250ft/lb

Oh yeah I know they'd be a step backwards. I'm getting it aligned this weekend so we'll see. I got to looking at it the other day and it's definitely off. The camber is way off, the bottom of the tire sticks out way more than the top of the tire. I tried adjusting it myself but couldn't so just see how good the shop can get it. I always hate taking my car to places like that. I don't trust anyone and they always want to take it for a "test drive" to make sure it's done properly...

keith89

Established Member
its hard to eyeball camber measurements on the back of the car. The curve of the bumper can create he illusion that the tire is cambered in. You should be able to properly dial it in with the eccentric bolt at the top of the knuckle.

Users who are viewing this thread