Burst of gravity waves detected

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s probably nothing, but:

An unexpected burst of gravity waves was detected from the direction of Betelgeuse.

Betelgeuse is a red giant star thought to be in the end stages of its life. It’s expected to go supernova any time between now and the next 100 million years. Over the last few months it has been growing more and more dim. That’s nothing new, it’s brightness changes all the time.

Neutrino detectors have not recorded any bursts. If we did get detections of gravity waves and neutrinos, then we might get to see a major light show.

Every astronomer I know agrees this is probably nothing. Might not even be Betelgeuse. Might just be a glitch.

But they’re all outside with binoculars and telescopes, looking at the Big B.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Based off of SN 1054 which went off on July 4th 1054 (which now is the crab nebula) It'd be like a full moon for a few months, and visible by the eye for a couple years.

MG0h3

Established Member
Is this something visible already? Several friends from back up in the very northwest part of WA state have all noticed a yellowish hue to the sky when there is cloud cover over the past few days.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Is this something visible already? Several friends from back up in the very northwest part of WA state have all noticed a yellowish hue to the sky when there is cloud cover over the past few days.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Yes, it’s the red star in Orion’s sword. Wouldn’t be causing any visible effects on Earth’s atmosphere. Not yet, anyhow.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Does this explain why my scale suddenly says I weigh more? Some extra gravitational pull or something? Lol.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Based off of SN 1054 which went off on July 4th 1054 (which now is the crab nebula) It'd be like a full moon for a few months, and visible by the eye for a couple years.

Is this the one that the Indian tribes supposedly represented in cave drawings?

And that would be pretty cool to see.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Is this the one that the Indian tribes supposedly represented in cave drawings?

And that would be pretty cool to see.

Actually when it comes to astronomy at that time we look to the Chinese and Arabs. The Chinese kept some of the best records of that last event. Although it's believed to be mentioned in Europe and by some native american tribes, the records are mere mentions. The Chinese accounts gave us a location, a date, and regular observations afterward.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Actually when it comes to astronomy at that time we look to the Chinese and Arabs. The Chinese kept some of the best records of that last event. Although it's believed to be mentioned in Europe and by some native american tribes, the records are mere mentions. The Chinese accounts gave us a location, a date, and regular observations afterward.

I was trying to find some info on it, the native drawings.

But kinda sounds like its a very weak link.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Does this explain why my scale suddenly says I weigh more? Some extra gravitational pull or something? Lol.
Fact: your weight can vary due to tides, the location of the moon, your location to the equator, and several very well known gravitational anomalies around the world. Magma displacement can do it, even. By as much as +/- five pounds. There are machines you can rent that can tell you if gravity in your local area is changing. No, I'm not kidding. They had one on an episode of Mythbusters, once.

ajaf1656

Established Member
Hey James Snover, are you involved with Lockheed Skunk Works or do you just have a soft spot for the SR71?

Users who are viewing this thread